Notices
Silverado SS, Joe Gibbs Editions, SSR Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |Engine | Body | News

Future c3 owner with rust questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 11:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Future c3 owner with rust questions

I've been looking for a decent 6.0L truck for months now and it seems as though everything I look at is rusted out. Even a few ss's have the rockers rusted out. Well I found a c3 w/80k miles that i'm looking at $13000 out the door with new rockers and cab corners being put on and repainting under the massive factory running boards

Aside from needing new rockers/cab corners the truck doesn't have any other issues that I can find, theres not even a door ding on this one.

Does this seem like a fair deal? The place is a very big gm dealer thats very reputable with its collision center as well.
Attached Thumbnails Future c3 owner with rust questions-truck01.jpg   Future c3 owner with rust questions-truck02.jpg   Future c3 owner with rust questions-truck03.jpg   Future c3 owner with rust questions-truck05.jpg   Future c3 owner with rust questions-truck08.jpg  

Old 06-15-2012, 11:45 AM
Teching In

rocker pics

It's going to be more of a daily driver toy truck that i'll put 100 miles on a month with driving to work and a few running around here and there
Attached Thumbnails Future c3 owner with rust questions-2012-06-14_16-22-33_773.jpg   Future c3 owner with rust questions-2012-06-14_16-22-38_745.jpg   Future c3 owner with rust questions-2012-06-14_16-24-14_512.jpg   Future c3 owner with rust questions-2012-06-14_16-24-21_60.jpg   Future c3 owner with rust questions-2012-06-14_16-41-28_922.jpg  

Old 06-15-2012, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Outside the extreme rust through in the areas you’ve shown, it looks like it fairly clean. Some more of the typical rust-through area are the latch area of the underside front of the hood and the back bumper shell, especially under the plastic. Also, anywhere the side steps rub against the side of the truck and has removed the paint is suspect.

The C³ is a very nice truck and has a lot of content, but there are typical problem areas to keep an eye out for, they usually involve the following:
• The soft-touch paint around the console area
• The carrier bearings in the front differential (typical GM AWD/4WD problem)
• The transfer-case if it hasn’t been maintained (could cause viscous coupler issues)
• The rear locking differential (G80), again if it hasn’t been maintained
• The blower fan resistor (common GM truck issue that affects the fan speeds)
• Low idle speed, is typical with DBW trucks (ETC) that have also not had proper maintenance (throttle body cleaned)
• Reduced power conditions, resulting from breakage of the small wires going to the throttle body (engine heat in this area doesn’t help)
• Knock sensor issues, as on the Gen III engines, the sensors are prone to corrosion underneath the intake manifold
• ABS issues, especially on a older vehicle in a high corrosion environment, where the grounds can be affected, can also be an issue with the wheel speed sensors
• EVAP system can become problematic on some of the older trucks, especially if it was in a highly dusty environment

The prospective truck you’re looking at may or may not be experiencing some or all of these issues, and while most are not something that could keep you from purchasing the truck if it was a good deal, it could be a price negotiator, as while dealing with some of these items may only be a minor inconvenience, some are a pain.

From the one picture you showed of the interior, it would just appear the only thing missing is the factory heavy duty carpeted floor mats, something to be expected on a vehicle this old. Also, the factory molded running-boards are quite rare being a one year only option (most came with the chrome side steps) and finding replacement parts for them is difficult to say the least.

God luck with your purchase and by the way, where are you from that all the vehicles are environmentally destroyed?
Old 06-15-2012, 02:40 PM
Teching In

western pa ... i'm sure its more of a price range thing that i'm in right now that everything looks like swiss cheese

the center console hide-away doors did have some of the paint chipped up but I noticed that was a very typical thing for them.

I did notice the low idle but figured it would need a tune up even if they told me it just had one done so hopefully that doesn't mean i'll have other issues

I appreciate your info in previous posts, i've been a "lurker" for a while searching about the c3's/denalis
Old 06-15-2012, 02:45 PM
rj2
Launching!

What year is it? I think u could find a less rusted truck with under 100k miles for that price. Im not saying its a bad deal cause there going to fix it and it seems to be a pretty clean truck. If the underneath and backsides of the sheetmetal looks good. The inside bottom of the doors and frame are om. Then i wouldnt say ur getting hurt. But if it were me personally id have to think pretty hard.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:59 PM
Teching In

the c3's were only available in 2001

and yea, i know i'm thinking very hard which is why I posted on here about it
Old 06-15-2012, 03:58 PM
rj2
Launching!

I thought they were in early 02 also. Sorry. Anyhow. Its for sure clean looking. Will they only fix the rust if u buy it? Are you paying for that or are they going to do ot rather u buy it or not?
Old 06-15-2012, 04:29 PM
Teching In

They are only fixing it if i'm buying it. The best deal I got them to was to pay for one side and I'll pay for the other
Old 06-15-2012, 09:03 PM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by wishmasstir
western pa ... i'm sure its more of a price range thing that i'm in right now that everything looks like swiss cheese

the center console hide-away doors did have some of the paint chipped up but I noticed that was a very typical thing for them.

I did notice the low idle but figured it would need a tune up even if they told me it just had one done so hopefully that doesn't mean i'll have other issues

I appreciate your info in previous posts, i've been a "lurker" for a while searching about the c3's/denalis
Welcome to the site man, what part of Western PA are you from. Nice C3 you found there.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:40 PM
rj2
Launching!

I dont think your getting raped on the deal. Itd be nice of they fixed it all for u. Im sure u tried but. Id put it to them like this. How many people honestly are goi g to go to a dealership looking to buy a truck with rusted out cab corners. So if they want to move it which is there business theyll fix it. Are u leaving the big running boards on it?

Quick Reply: Future c3 owner with rust questions