Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Mod for $1

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Mod for $1

Want to do the 4 High mod for $1 ? I did, and I found a way to do it and any combo of light changes.
Go to Radioshack and get a 12Volt Diode. And then look under your dash and you will see three 24 pin plugs under your steering colum. The 24 pin plug on the left is the one you want. After you remove the access cover to see, you find the pins you need. I look at them like this, (view attachment) the top row starting on the left is T1 and the last pin to the right is T12. The bottom row at the right is B1 and the far right one is B12. Got it? OK so T1 is the High Beam signal (blk wht) the DRLs(daytime running lights) were T4 (grn blk) the Low baems were B4 (pink) and the fogs were B5(grn wht).
The way this works is you trigger the lights with relays using reverse polarity. So if you want to trigger the lows when the highs came on you would put the diode inbetween T1 and B4, with the bar on the diode twards the T1. And so when you turn on your highs the lows come on too. But when you just turn on the lows only the lows come on.
The other mod that I did was to have my DRLs trigger my Fog lights. So i put the diode in between T4 and B5. So when my DRLs came on anytime they would trigger my fogs to come on as well. But I dont like the way the DRLs look so i put in burnt bulbs, so the DRL system only triggers the fogs.
The easiest was to put in the Diodes is just put them in the plug with the pins on the wire side. You dont have to unplug the plug. Just push the diode in next to the wire with some nedlenose pliers or something. Make sure they stay in there good too. I will take some pics tonight and post them to show you what I mean.

This was done on my 2004 Silverado, This may not work for you but I'm thinking it will work for the 03 and up trucks.
A way to fing the pin you need is using a meter on the dc voltage setting have one probe to gnd and the other to the desired pin, if the light is off you should read 11-14 volts, and when you turn it on it should read almost 0 volts. Some lights need to have it in gear on key to the run postion to work.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
Headlight mod.bmp (94.0 KB, 10378 views)
Old 12-04-2004, 02:18 PM
Truck addict

hmm, i might have to try that out this weekend. thanks for the info
Old 12-04-2004, 04:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 04BlackSilverado
Want to do the 4 High mod for $1 ? I did, and I found a way to do it and any combo of light changes.
Go to Radioshack and get a 12Volt Diode. And then look under your dash and you will see three 24 pin plugs under your steering colum. The 24 pin plug on the left is the one you want. After you remove the access cover to see, you find the pins you need. I look at them like this, (view attachment) the top row starting on the left is T1 and the last pin to the right is T12. The bottom row at the right is B1 and the far right one is B12. Got it? OK so T1 is the High Beam signal (blk wht) the DRLs(daytime running lights) were T4 (grn blk) the Low baems were B4 (pink) and the fogs were B5(grn wht).
The way this works is you trigger the lights with relays using reverse polarity. So if you want to trigger the lows when the highs came on you would put the diode inbetween T1 and B4, with the bar on the diode twards the T1. And so when you turn on your highs the lows come on too. But when you just turn on the lows only the lows come on.
The other mod that I did was to have my DRLs trigger my Fog lights. So i put the diode in between T4 and B5. So when my DRLs came on anytime they would trigger my fogs to come on as well. But I dont like the way the DRLs look so i put in burnt bulbs, so the DRL system only triggers the fogs.
The easiest was to put in the Diodes is just put them in the plug with the pins on the wire side. You dont have to unplug the plug. Just push the diode in next to the wire with some nedlenose pliers or something. Make sure they stay in there good too. I will take some pics tonight and post them to show you what I mean.

This was done on my 2004 Silverado, This may not work for you but I'm thinking it will work for the 03 and up trucks.
A way to fing the pin you need is using a meter on the dc voltage setting have one probe to gnd and the other to the desired pin, if the light is off you should read 11-14 volts, and when you turn it on it should read almost 0 volts. Some lights need to have it in gear on key to the run postion to work.

Do I just ask for a diode or is there a part number?

LK
Old 12-04-2004, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used 1N4004 but any 12 volt diode will work!
Old 12-05-2004, 01:56 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dam bro you the man
Old 12-05-2004, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I added the Fogs to the Highs today, had just the Lows yesterday when I put on my High Beams. So now when I put my highs on the lows and fogs come on as well. Can you say DAYLIGHT!!!!!!
Old 12-05-2004, 08:58 PM
TECH Regular

Great mod, why didn't anyone think of this earlier??? Does anyone know if this mod will work with an '01 silverado?
Old 12-05-2004, 09:45 PM
Truck addict

i am gonna try it on my 01 silverado tomorrow. i picked up the same diodes today. so we'll see.
Old 12-05-2004, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Try it like I said at the bottom of the first post, use a meter and search for it. Good luck!
Old 12-05-2004, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Heres a pic, Highs with lows and fogs
Attached Thumbnails Headlight Mod for alt=-hi-six.jpg  

Quick Reply: Headlight Mod for $1