PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Saab 97X 5.3 to LQ9 swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 07:35 AM
Launching!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Saab 97X 5.3 to LQ9 swap

I've been wanting a midsized V8 tow vehical to replace my conversion van for a few years there hard to find and expensive.

I pulled the trigger on the 97x it appears very nice.

the engine has cylinder #1 missfire. the seller has noted they swapped the spark plug and SP wire wasn't the solution.I will first pull spark plug inspeact then add a coil.if no joy

will pull valve cover I'm hopping to find a collasped lifter still in tack where I can simply replace.

I'm hopping a valve didn't break and fall down into engine.I payed for a V8 ready roller. so if the 152K 5.3LM7 isn't internalley damaged will continue w/ it.

plan is to find a used donor truck LQ9/7L70 trans, (or get lucky and find a 2500+ truck JY engine) dissassemble hoppefulley just hone and rering/new crank /cam bearings , street stripe cam good ARP rod bolts. and I've read the trailblazer ss has oil pump starvation issues solution is the reenginnered oil pickup tube is now pointed toward middle (deepest part of plan).
?1.can the orginale oil pickup tube be bent rather than being replaced?

trans will proballey get a TCI master rebuild kit (remember the vehical has 152K miles) w/ the 3 extra cluch packs/sun shell/corvette 2nd 3rd servos, external trans cooler (rad delete cooler) trans temp guage and possaible a larger vented trans pan.

?2.since this 2007 vehical came w/ a 5.3 LM7 it's computer requires a 58tooth crank reluckter wheel so donor engine will have to be minium 2007 or newer to be transplanted correct?

?2.will any size engine be a direct swap (electricalley) like if I'm able to find a donor GTO w/ LS2 it would be a plug and play correct?

this vehical runs drives and shifts good however
I'm having it delivered from about 400 miles away should recieve early next week.

I think GM made the rad core surport removeable to ease in engine removal
from top?

?3.this vehical has AWD I"ve read this complicates engine removal like axel though oil pan?
any tips on the swape
Attached Images  

Last edited by thebrain; 09-21-2017 at 07:11 AM.
Old 09-09-2017, 11:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

Your SAAB runs a LH6 motor, not a LM7.

Correct the engine is a 58x motor and anything else like a LM7 or LQ9 is going to be a 24x motor.

The lifters are under the cylinder heads, not under the valve cover. So the replacement of the lifter won't be a walk in the park but it's still not very hard. Likely a DOD lifter failed, cylinders 1,4,6,7 are shut off when AFM/DoD is active and those cylinders use different lifters.

Motor like the L76, L96, LY6 would be direct swaps as far as 58x parts and such go. You'd want to use your cylinder heads to keep your cathedral port intake though. Also the L76 is a AFM/DoD motor as well, so removing those parts and using a non DoD cam and lifters would be suggested.

Other 5.3 motors like the LMG, LY5 are like the LH6 but they aren't aluminum blocks. Use Wiki to figure out all your different motor options, they made 8 different 5.3's for the GEN 4 motors.

Of course anything like this will require a custom tune regardless of what route you take. Unless you leave everything factory and just replace what is wrong.

Yes the axle tube goes through the oil pan, you will have extra parts to take off if you remove the motor.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:12 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FFDP
Your SAAB runs a LH6 motor, not a LM7.

Correct the engine is a 58x motor and anything else like a LM7 or LQ9 is going to be a 24x motor. Thanks for heads up.

The lifters are under the cylinder heads, not under the valve cover. So the replacement of the lifter won't be a walk in the park but it's still not very hard. Likely a DOD lifter failed, cylinders 1,4,6,7 are shut off when AFM/DoD is active and those cylinders use different lifters. yes this is what I'm hopeing for a failed lifter

Motor like the L76, L96, LY6 would be direct swaps as far as 58x parts and such go. You'd want to use your cylinder heads to keep your cathedral port intake though. Also the L76 is a AFM/DoD motor as well, so removing those parts and using a non DoD cam and lifters would be suggested.

the LY6 (I believe it's found in era 2004+ 2500+series vans/trucks) is the desired engine for me w/ it's 4" bore L92 heads was planning on loseing the DOD in favor for a street/stripe cam mite start out w/ a stock LY6 and see if DOD actualley doe's improve mileage.

Other 5.3 motors like the LMG, LY5 are like the LH6 but they aren't aluminum blocks. Use Wiki to figure out all your different motor options, they made 8 different 5.3's for the GEN 4 motors.

Of course anything like this will require a custom tune regardless of what route you take. Unless you leave everything factory and just replace what is wrong.

Yes the axle tube goes through the oil pan, you will have extra parts to take off if you remove the motor.
first I'll try just replace whats needed, to get her up and running and . then be on the look out for a donor I think I can get a LY6 at pull a part for $450. does this sound price right?

problem is cylinder #1 missfire
can I borrow a coil from my TA and try it on the saab?

how do these lifters look
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...433749&jsn=417

Thanks

Last edited by thebrain; 09-10-2017 at 08:08 AM.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

There is likely a big difference in the coil pack design from the early LS1 to the later model GEN 4 trucks. There are either round or square and I wouldn't mix them up. Easier to just swap a coil pack from cylinders 2 or 4 and test that.

LY6's are from 2007+ in heavy truck trucks/vans. They do not have DoD/AFM but some have VVT. $450 would sure be cheap if you can find them, I see them for 800-1000 all the time. Just make sure that it's really a GEN 4 block. The front cover will have the cam sensor and there will be no knock sensor in the valley plate, they are bolted to the side of the engine block near the oil pan.
The following users liked this post:
thebrain (09-14-2017)
Old 09-10-2017, 11:04 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FFDP
There is likely a big difference in the coil pack design from the early LS1 to the later model GEN 4 trucks. There are either round or square and I wouldn't mix them up. Easier to just swap a coil pack from cylinders 2 or 4 and test that.

LY6's are from 2007+ in heavy truck trucks/vans. They do not have DoD/AFM but some have VVT. $450 would sure be cheap if you can find them, I see them for 800-1000 all the time. Just make sure that it's really a GEN 4 block. The front cover will have the cam sensor and there will be no knock sensor in the valley plate, they are bolted to the side of the engine block near the oil pan.
excellent infor. on coils

can you post image of The front cover will have the cam sensor and there will be no knock sensor

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...433749&jsn=417

should I just do all 8 lifters on cylinder 1 side
Old 09-11-2017, 09:44 AM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

I did this swap a few years back. Went to a L96. It worked flawlessly and ran hard.

I used the LS6 cam which is actually better mated to LS3 heads than the LS3 cam is. It made great power on 87 octane and never skipped a beat. factory manners and the whole 9 yards...
The following users liked this post:
thebrain (09-21-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 07:34 AM
Launching!

excellent does the L96 have to be 2007+ for it's 58 tooth crank relucktor wheel?

did you do this L96 swape into a Saab or a truck?

when pulling cylinder head
?1. will exhaust manifold bolts break (even after soaking in WD40)
?2.cylinder head gasket will need placement alone w/ exhaust gm gasket.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...433749&jsn=417or these http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-GMC-5-...hTcoAO&vxp=mtr

still confused about this 5.3 LHN having two differnt type lifters?

I hope to get her current engine running.

Last edited by thebrain; 09-12-2017 at 09:09 AM.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:25 AM
Launching!

this kit has two differnt type lifters so I assume dod lifters turn off 4 cylinders?

Chevy/GMC 5.3/5.3L Cylinder Head Gasket Set+Bolts+AFM DOD Lifters Kit 05-09 | eBay
Old 09-12-2017, 11:15 AM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

This all went into the saab.

The engine that came out was 58x and the engine that went in was 58x. I left the heads on the 6.0 and converter to square port heads, hence my LS6 cam with LS3 heads in the previous post.

The L96 does not have DOD, so its a non issue. Delete it from your tune and you will be on your way. Find an LY6 or L96 and be on your way... don't **** with a 24x wheel.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:18 AM
Launching!

I should be taking delivery "early this week"

?1.can I stick a telescopeing magnet down lifter hole and remove said collased lifter? or will heads have to be pulled?

?2.can cylinder head gaskects/bolts/header bolts ect. be reused ?or is it mandatory to replace all this stuff?

people have told me the 360gt model isn't a good tow vehical an I should have gotten the 1100LB heavier tahoe to tow my 3K LB boat & trailer.

Quick Reply: Saab 97X 5.3 to LQ9 swap