Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

1 peice dshaft to a 2 peice dshaft

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 04:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1 peice dshaft to a 2 peice dshaft

welp, for the guys/gals running a crew cab or hell even a extend cabs.

i dont know about all of yall who are TIRED of having to shut down at 100mph or scared to dyno the truck and such forth, but i decided to do something about it!
i got a 2 peice drive shaft from a ECSB 2wd, complete with the yoke, carrier bearing. i am going to have it high speed balanced and upgrade the u-joints because i dont want to worry about them breaking. i know im not putting serious power to the rear wheels but i dont want to rebuild the rear end, the gas tank, and the transmission because i could have prevented something. i am also thinking of having some safety loops added too.

if you need measurements you'll have to wait until i finish it, please. be patient. i hope to have this done in a week or
2. im on nights so it's kinda hard to get any real work done just yet.

i want to drop the truck 4/6 but i guess i'll just go 3/5 and be happy with it.

it's not much yet, but i just got around to fabbing up the main bracket. i drilled 2 1/2" holes to go through the frame. i will also spot weld this bracket to the truck for future safety

i will get more work done tomorrow so i hope, i will also be adding tubing to make the angles right on the driveshaft. right now im happy with the way the truck sits, but i want it lower.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice job so far! and go 3/6 on the drop that way it will be lvld
Old 06-22-2010, 07:59 PM

thank you, im going to take a measurement and hope to have it all done by the end of the week
Old 06-22-2010, 08:43 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 piece FTW
Old 06-22-2010, 08:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by iamkeniff
im on nights so it's kinda hard to get any real work done just yet.
That's when I'm most productive. lol. You going to mount that tubing below the frame?
Old 06-22-2010, 09:21 PM
On The Tree

So I thought that all extended and crews had 2 piece? I was under a buddys 08 crew the other day doing long tubes and he had a one piece? and it was a nice looking fat alum shaft. Do some trucks come with a one and some with a two? I know my RCSB has a shitty drive shaft in it. You would almost think it was a god damn mop handle going from my output shaft to my rear end. Not trying to tread jack guys just trying to make sense of it all
Old 06-22-2010, 09:28 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

I definitely like this idea. I too am a bit scared that I'll have an aluminum jump rope under the bed
Old 06-22-2010, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

Whats wrong with aluminum? Hell I was thinking about getting one of those CC shafts and getting it shortened for my single cab. I guess this is a bad idea.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:01 PM

8' drive shaft at 130mph = explodes tearing the tranny up, the gas tank, the rear end, and such forth.

99-02 ecsb have a 2 peice for sure which is where mine came from.

yes im going under the frame ONLY bc i dont own a MIG/welding machine and i cant have someone waste their whole day at my house fabbing crap up for me. you can shorten, and have a new rear shaft made to make it work on the bracket you have under the truck. that just adds to the price of this swap. its easier/cheaper for me to just fab this like i am, bring the truck to work and spot weld it to the frame and have a 2 peice with upgraded ujoints/an high speed balanced for cheaper than a custom drive shaft made.

the 2 peice i have is small, but its been proven to dyno 420rwhp on 20s, and run 12.9-13.0 all day long with bo problems. Truckshop had a custom drive shaft setup made, an it cost more than i have in this so far. plus i get all the bolts an bs from work

im productive when im on nights too BUT sometimes i get no sleep at work so i sleep from 730-330-4 and get NOTHING done lol. i built my WT and my 2 motors more on nights then i did on my days off lol.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

this sounds like a great idea! i want some pictures

Quick Reply: 1 peice dshaft to a 2 peice dshaft