Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Waking up a lq4

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 12:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

2015 is different

I have a really long thread on alternators too if it helps.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...failure-s.html

Here is a side by side for the older ones. The smaller is a 105 the larger is a 145. Look closely at the faces of them and you'll start to see the difference. The size is noticeable but once you go out to your truck and don't have a side by side it's hard to tell if you aren't familiar with them.

Old 03-04-2019, 11:14 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

The belt is also longer so grab one of those too.
The following users liked this post:
TFA303 (04-23-2020)
Old 03-05-2019, 12:45 AM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gotcha, I’ll definitely appreciate the info. I was wondering about the belt. Didn’t know If the old one would work.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts

Here's a good video for reference comparing the 105A to the 145A,
Old 03-05-2019, 12:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Chrisracerx
Gotcha, I’ll definitely appreciate the info. I was wondering about the belt. Didn’t know If the old one would work.
I reused the stock belt on the camaro and my 04 truck when I went to the 145 amp alt. Both belts were for the smaller alternator. The trucks do come with a longer belt for the larger alternator, but I liked the increased tension on the belt so I left the shorter one. On my camaro I had belt slip issues, after the larger alternator that pulled the belt in tighter, it stopped.
Old 08-19-2019, 12:08 AM
Teching In

Been quiet for a couple months. Been busy with every day life but I have been doing stuff to the truck. Swapped out all the stock speakers bc the paper cones were all broken. Got some new Kickers. Also swapped out some light bulbs for some new LED’s. They came from super bright LED. Very nice products.
I did the trans lines with no real issues also. Decided to do the new ac delco waterpump. As much as I didn’t want to pull the waterpump back off for the head and cam, it needed to be done and I wasn’t ready for the other stuff.
Got the carrier bearing redone at a local shop, so that got checked off also.
As far as the big and exciting stuff, I did get the exhaust ordered up. Went with the Speed Engineering True Dual exhaust and the 1 3/4 long tubes headers. Also ordered new plug wires from them along with their air intake system. Had a little issue from the shipping company. First not all the boxes cam the same day. Guess the truck got full before all my boxes got on. Couple more came the next day, but I was still missing one. Called SE and they said the shipping company messed up a box and was sending it back. They sent me an email right away with the info n they are sending me the long tubes that never made it before they receive them back. Not only the product looks great but the customer service was great too. Even though the issue was out of thier hands they still stepped up.
Next on the order list is the truck cam from Texas Speed and some injectors.
I’ll let you know when the next step is getting started.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FFDP
Paragraphs man, lol.
Im guilty of this too..didnt realize how annoying it was until just now
Old 08-19-2019, 07:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Agreed.

But at least y'all read **** over here.

I spoon feed people with easy to read paragraphs in some threads and people still miss every single point.

OP: good to hear it's coming along
Old 08-20-2019, 04:32 AM
100% Redneck

Received 1,329 Likes on 792 Posts

You'll like the Speed Engineering system, did you get the over the axle system or the dump before the axle? On my 1 3/4" SE header install (2000 rcsb 2wd) the only issue I ran into was I had to remove the two aluminum heat shields on each side at the bottom of the firewall for clearance. Haven't noticed any issues of heat on the floorboards.

Not sure If Speed Engineering has upgraded the band clamps that come with their dual system but there are a lot of complaints about those clamps in the true dual thread here at PT. I didn't even bother taking the SE clamps out of the plastic. I replaced all of them with 3" Stainless Torca Accuseal band clamps. These clamps have worked great with no issues or leaks. They're so good they can distort the piping if you go full ape **** on the torque. You may want to ask Sean over at SE if they have upgraded the clamps before buying the Accuseal's.

Like posted above use the GM MLS exhaust gaskets instead of the bimetal gaskets that come with the headers. You can save a few dollars buying the Mahle MS16124 gaskets as they are exactly the same as the GM exhaust gaskets. If I remember correctly they are around $14 shipped (ebay)
Old 08-21-2019, 03:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RedXray
You'll like the Speed Engineering system, did you get the over the axle system or the dump before the axle? On my 1 3/4" SE header install (2000 rcsb 2wd) the only issue I ran into was I had to remove the two aluminum heat shields on each side at the bottom of the firewall for clearance. Haven't noticed any issues of heat on the floorboards.

Not sure If Speed Engineering has upgraded the band clamps that come with their dual system but there are a lot of complaints about those clamps in the true dual thread here at PT. I didn't even bother taking the SE clamps out of the plastic. I replaced all of them with 3" Stainless Torca Accuseal band clamps. These clamps have worked great with no issues or leaks. They're so good they can distort the piping if you go full ape **** on the torque. You may want to ask Sean over at SE if they have upgraded the clamps before buying the Accuseal's.

Like posted above use the GM MLS exhaust gaskets instead of the bimetal gaskets that come with the headers. You can save a few dollars buying the Mahle MS16124 gaskets as they are exactly the same as the GM exhaust gaskets. If I remember correctly they are around $14 shipped (ebay)

I got the over the axle style. I didn’t want to take the chance of any drone or extra heat under the bed. Plus I really like the side exit look. I’m not a fan of the rear exits by the bumper unless it’s frenched in like some modern trucks. I think the gaskets and bolts came with the headers. Can’t remember if I paid for them. I was gonna see how they were before I bought the mls style. But mls style was definitely in the books.
Think I’m actually gonna do the studs like a earlier post had stated.
Clamps idk what the early ones looked like to compare these to them. I’ll keep in mind if the ones your talking about. Might even go the extra mile and use the supplied to take it to a shop and have them weld on some v-clamps

Quick Reply: Waking up a lq4