Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Waking up a lq4

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 11:18 PM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Waking up a lq4

Hey guys,
i have a 2002 Chevy Silverado 1500hd LT. I’ve had it for a while now. Bought it with 49k on it and now it has 126k. Truck is in pretty good shape but I’ve had to do some work to keep up with stuff bc of living near the shore. The truck doesn’t go off-roading. Only dirt it sees is to drive into a gravel pit to bring the motorcycle to. I did have a 19ft toyhauler for racing but those days are over. Only thing I tie now are pwc trailers n an occasional 16ft box trailer. I do use the truck as a truck though. The bed gets filled with dirt, stone, mulch and other things. But now the truck is now my daily driver bc I drive 90 miles round trip to work. But I like to drive it on my days off. Mostly around town but sometimes on a small trip. Well this year I decided to put the time and some money on the chassis. She had some neglect for a couple of years, so I wanted to bring it back to life. I could traded it in and get a payment but I don’t see the sense of that since it’s a driveway Queen most of the time. If I’m going to have a big car payment, it’s going to be on a new corvette.
But here is what I’ve done this past year. I pulled the bed off and derusted the whole rear frame and rear and POR 15 the entire rear. Removed the spare tire bracket bc it rusted out. Welded on new shock mounts and installed a new fuel filler neck. I installed a Zone 6” lift with 33” BFG MT’s on 10” wide rims with a -38 offset. New wheel bearings, fuel lines and brake lines were installed 4 years ago when it had 110k on it.
So this winter and spring I’m doing some more odds and ends for maintenance stuff but I want to start saving and scoping out some parts for the engine performance side of it. I’ve read so much things it has been a little confusing. Things I would like to do are heads, intake, cam and exhaust. The norms. But I’m not looking for a drag truck or a high hp off-roader. Looking for good street mods where I can get on it for a second and put a smile on my face. Also maybe to keep up and pass some of these more modern trucks. My heads are 317’s. Would it be best to send someone for some porting or get some 243’s or l92/ls3 heads. I thought mine were rectangular port not cathedral but I’m confused bc some people say to use the trailblazer ss intake n some say it won’t work bc of the intake ports. I want to use a OEM style intake for cost. I would do a small cam, nothing outrageous. Most things I’ve seen say the Texas speed truck cam is great. Now for exhaust. This is where I’m an odd ball. I’m ok with more tone but I don’t want nothing where my neighbors are going to be knocking on my door. I like the single side exhaust look. Magnaflow or mbrp are systems I’ve looked at and I’ve looked at the kooks system. I like it bc it goes from 2 to 1. If I did headers, which ones bolt to the stock exhaust piping. Mine is still good n I can probably go to an exhaust shop and weld in a new muffler if that works too. I have a tuner near me who does a lot of LS cars. So that takes care of that part. I guess the biggest part is picking the heads and correct intake. Also which intake works with my accessories. I don’t want to move anything. I would think about doing an electric fan kit too.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Just put a blower on it
Old 01-30-2019, 04:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

Paragraphs man, lol.

99-07 are all cathedral port intakes in the half ton truck. The 2007.5+ 6.0 and 6.2 intakes on the trucks are square port. The trailblazer SS is still using a LS2 engine with cathedral ports.

To be honest I wouldn't even swap intake, the factory one is just fine because you aren't going hog wild.

Camshaft in the 212/218 range works great. Upgrade to slightly bigger injectors, do whatever exhaust you want and call it good. You can always re-gear the truck to like 4.56's because of the lift and mud tires.

Or just slap a blower on it with the required fuel system and it'll be plenty for what you want.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by FFDP
Paragraphs man, lol.
yeah, no kidding
Old 01-31-2019, 03:26 PM
Teching In

Lol, I tried on the paragraphs. I did this on my iPhone and had when I went to post it, it was in tiny colum form with no spaces. Thanks for the info on the years of the heads. The chart I had didn’t show different years. The lq4 & 9’s were under the square port so it had me confused.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:35 PM
Teching In

Lol, I had paragraphs but when I went to post everything went to 1 big blob. I don’t know if it was bc I did the post on my iPhone. I didn’t know there were different 6.0’s thought all the iron block 6.0’s were lq4 or lq9’s with cathedral ports but when I saw this chart I thought different. That’s were some of the confusion came from.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:46 PM
Teching In

Lol, yeah I know. When I posted it on my iPhone it had paragraphs and when i hit send it was 1 big blob. I didn’t know there were rectangle n cathedral port lq4’s. At first I thought mine was cathedral but when I saw this chart I contradicted myself. So that’s where the confusion came from.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:48 PM
Teching In

Thanks
Old 01-31-2019, 05:52 PM
Teching In

Lol, I did have paragraphs at first but when I posted it from my iPhone it went into 1 big blob. The cart I found had me confused and made me contradict myself. I originally thought I had cathedral ports until I saw this chart.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Curious what transmission those came with. Been looking at trucks.

Quick Reply: Waking up a lq4