Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Which plus sized rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 11:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which plus sized rotors?

Thinking about upgrading the rotors on the stepside. I have noticed powerslot, baer, and ssbc all make a plus sized rotor upgrade. Looks like prices on all are about the same. I know a lot of people run powerslots as stock replacements, and many run baers as plus sized. Is one any better than the other? I would love to go with a set of wilwoods with 6 pistons front and back, or baer for that matter, but don't have the coin for that right now.

What pads would be good to go with these? Low dust is a must, and low noise is preferred. I know most use hawk pads, but aren't there different types of pads? Or will something at the parts store work fine?
Old 06-10-2008, 03:35 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the looks of the SSBC stuff, that's what I'd have if I had the money. Everything that I've read about SSBC has been positive, but what I've read has been mostly about cars, not trucks. I'm guessing that the truck stuff is as good as the car stuff...

Almost forgot, Creederado used to run some SSBC rotors and calipers, but I don't think that he had plus size.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 133 Likes on 88 Posts

When I was looking at doing plus size rotors on the Tahoe, I found an affordable kit at Stillin that looked good. May be one to look into.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:50 AM
TECH Addict

Yea, I've heard a good bit about ssbc and like you said, its mostly about cars.

And if anyone knows anymore about the stillen stuff, post up. Seems like another good option.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the plus two rotors from baer and put the decela rotors on the back. The plus two for the front have the aluminum hat on them. The 14" front rotors are about 1 1/2 pounds heavier than the stock 12" 's. I just used the stock pads and have had no issues with stopping at all. Oh used the stock calipers up front/rear and installed the Russell 5 brake line kit too. Some of the research I've done on the calipers, changed my mind on getting new calipers so thats why I just use the stockers.

James

Last edited by closet red neck; 06-12-2008 at 11:50 PM.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:05 PM
TECH Addict

Are the plus 2s the eradispeeds?
Old 06-14-2008, 09:04 AM
IMD
Banned

do the Z06 conversion.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by closet red neck
I got the plus two rotors from baer and put the decela rotors on the back. The plus two for the front have the aluminum hat on them. The 14" front rotors are about 1 1/2 pounds heavier than the stock 12" 's. I just used the stock pads and have had no issues with stopping at all. Oh used the stock calipers up front/rear and installed the Russell 5 brake line kit too. Some of the research I've done on the calipers, changed my mind on getting new calipers so thats why I just use the stockers.

James
To me, 1 1/2# is a small price to pay for better stopping. Please tell what u mean by research changed your mind bout caliper change. My only drawback(s) would be if pads cost more &/ or if changing out pads becomes more complicated due to all the pistons fightin you.

Originally Posted by IMD
do the Z06 conversion.
Is Z06 a bolt w/ 16" rims? My guess is no. I'm thinkin for Z06 conv.( depending on year of Z06, one is looking @ a min. of 17" wheels).
Old 06-21-2008, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=fastnblu;3941400]To me, 1 1/2# is a small price to pay for better stopping. Please tell what u mean by research changed your mind bout caliper change. My only drawback(s) would be if pads cost more &/ or if changing out pads becomes more complicated due to all the pistons fightin you.

I know it is a small price to pay, I was just letting you know what the difference is in weight. I put the 14" 'ers on the front and just the 12" 'ers on the rear. With my research, I found that increasing brake tourqe is only accomplished in a couple of ways. Bigger rotors and bigger calipers(pistons) with a master cylinder to support the calipers(with bigger pistons). If you've noticed on the 3 or 4 piston calipers, the pistons are smaller so the master cylinder will work properly and basically not get over loaded........What I mean is bigger calipers with multipal pistons don't increase brake tourqe.

Let me find the site again and I'll post it up.......

James
Old 06-21-2008, 03:35 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you are interested I have a set of wilwoods for sale in the classifieds.

Quick Reply: Which plus sized rotors?