Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

8.6 reared noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 01:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 8.6 reared noise

I have a 99 1500 with an 8.6 reared. I had to do some work to the center section a while back. Cleaning, gears, and oil. Everything has been fine until recently. Now the rearend is howling. I believe it's outer bearings and my seals need to be replaced. Should I do inner and outer bearings or will it be safe replacing just the outer bearings?
Old 09-06-2015, 02:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by 600 horses
I have a 99 1500 with an 8.6 reared. I had to do some work to the center section a while back. Cleaning, gears, and oil. Everything has been fine until recently. Now the rearend is howling. I believe it's outer bearings and my seals need to be replaced. Should I do inner and outer bearings or will it be safe replacing just the outer bearings?
Were the carrier bearings replaced?

When I had my 411s put in the races were scar'd pretty bad and I opted to replace them at that time.

I suspect the chunk is coming out again.
Old 09-06-2015, 03:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by madmann26
Were the carrier bearings replaced?

When I had my 411s put in the races were scar'd pretty bad and I opted to replace them at that time.

I suspect the chunk is coming out again.
No I didn't replace the carrier bearings. They still looked good. It doesn't sound like the usual gear howling that I've had in the past. It sounds more like the roar from a hub assembly that is going out. I had my wife drive beside me and she couldn't hear anything. You only hear it in the cab.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

No I didn't replace the carrier bearings. They still looked good. It doesn't sound like the usual gear howling that I've had in the past. It sounds more like the roar from a hub assembly that is going out. I had my wife drive beside me and she couldn't hear anything. You only hear it in the cab.
Do you have a 2pc driveshaft? If so, what about the center support bearing?
Old 09-06-2015, 11:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

What was pinion preload and you shouldve replaced carrier bearings and pinion bearings when installing gears axle bearings/seals arent bad idea to do either, cheap insurance compared to having to pull it all back down and risking tearing up new gears
Old 09-08-2015, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolftrk99
What was pinion preload and you shouldve replaced carrier bearings and pinion bearings when installing gears axle bearings/seals arent bad idea to do either, cheap insurance compared to having to pull it all back down and risking tearing up new gears
Pinion preload is a pain if you don't have a good in-lb torque wrench that stores the max reading. On my np246 I had to do a billion spins with my cheap in-lb tool to feel confident on preload.

Great points, OP listen!!!
Old 09-08-2015, 10:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ive always done preload with beam type inlb torque wrench... How i learned!! Not to mention some people think im nuts way i setup a rear end, but not getting into that right now!!! Mines been holding up with no issues for about 10-12 years and probably 120k so far
Old 09-10-2015, 10:49 AM
Staging Lane

I replaced the carrier bearings and one had a few pitted areas. The other side was fine. Found that it was my pinion bearing that was making all of the noise. So for anyone that reads the post. If you replace anything in the differential. Spend the extra 24.00 for races and bearings for the carrier and pinion. It might take a little longer but is worth the time.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I replaced the carrier bearings and one had a few pitted areas. The other side was fine. Found that it was my pinion bearing that was making all of the noise. So for anyone that reads the post. If you replace anything in the differential. Spend the extra 24.00 for races and bearings for the carrier and pinion. It might take a little longer but is worth the time.
Did it look a little like this? (from my front diff)

8.6 reared noise-dpzcwfv.jpg

8.6 reared noise-kzjmt9c.jpg
Old 09-10-2015, 11:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Not to mention when you pull the inner pinion bearing off to get the shim thats behind it you usually destroy the bearing anyway, on occasion you can get away without carrier bearings but if theres any markings on bearing rollers or races they should be replaced.. Just for the sake of sanity make sure they are back on all the way before you try to put em back in the housing. Fought more than one carier bearing i thought was on all the way until i smacked it one more time with the bearing installer and it slid right in!!!