Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

loud clacking/banging under driver rear of truck HELP!

Old 07-30-2015, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loud clacking/banging under driver rear of truck HELP!

Hello all. I've found many searches on banging noises on the drive train and the front suspension, but nothing else really.
What I'm experiencing is a very loud clanking noise under the driver's rear (likely between the driver door and rear wheel) when hitting rough bumps and potholes. It sounds like a piece of metal flapping up and down.

At this point, I have been under the truck and checked any and everything that could bang around. With having no luck there, I took it to a local mechanic and had him comb it over. He says that all is it order and the suspension seems solid. He was completely stumped stating (with how loud in is, I really thought it would be something obvious)

Sooooo as of now, I plan to install a Belltech 2-4 drop but really want to get this squared away first.

Please help! I'm tearing my hair out!
(This is the silverado in my sig)

Last edited by black03rcsb; 07-30-2015 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it a clean truck? I had a rusty old truck that had a broken gas tank strap that was making some pretty loud noises. I couldn't find it until I filled the tank up and the tank fell out of it. It was sort of funny, a loud bang and I pulled over and didn't shut the truck off. I stood back to look and my tank was on the ground against the rear and the truck was still running.
Old 07-31-2015, 05:06 AM

That's pretty crazy! Never heard of that happening.
My truck is super clean and rust free... but that doesn't mean one of the tank straps aren't bad. thanks for the insight
Old 07-31-2015, 09:51 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

There was a guy a couple months ago that used his spare tire and the hanger thing was clanging around...
Old 07-31-2015, 01:35 PM

That's one of the first things I checked. I was told to drop the spare and see if there was something in it that was bouncing around. No such luck. I def appreciate the input though. I'm beginning to wonder if the shock is shot and it just seems stable when tugging on it.
Rolled around under it today and nothing... still stumped SMDH
Old 07-31-2015, 01:41 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Did your truck ever have tube steps on it? I've seen guys remove the steps but leave the bracket bolted to the body mount.

If there is a bracket under the head of the body mount bolt, remove the bracket. It can hit the frame and clank just like you described, when the body moves as you go over bumps.
Old 07-31-2015, 01:47 PM

Alright. I'll def check that out. I'm not sure if it ever had them, but I'll try just about anything now
Old 07-31-2015, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Check the emergency brake pads in the back. I had one that was binding in the back. It took me forever to figure it out. Every time I would hit a bump it would make a loud banging sound.
Old 08-02-2015, 03:36 PM

Great insight. Thank you, I'll definitely check that out!
Old 08-02-2015, 06:57 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gao8302
Check the emergency brake pads in the back. I had one that was binding in the back. It took me forever to figure it out. Every time I would hit a bump it would make a loud banging sound.

I was going to mention same thing, my 99 and 02 had this issue-

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: loud clacking/banging under driver rear of truck HELP!