Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4l60e rebuild difficulty?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 12:18 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 4l60e rebuild difficulty?

Curious the difficulty of rebuilding a 2000 4L60E transmission? I am planning on doing it in a couple weeks while I swap my engine. How long would it typically take? I would get a new transmission but due to time and money, that is not an option

I have rebuilt a 700R4 around 5 or 6years ago. I am looking at getting this kit - GM 4L60E Transmission Overhaul Rebuild Kit 97 Up | eBay Trying to stay somewhat cheaper then a new transmission, like $300 tops maybe.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can do it in a few hours if you have all the right tools. Some them snap rings can be a bugger.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
You can do it in a few hours if you have all the right tools. Some them snap rings can be a bugger.
That's not very much time. I do remember the snap rings were a pain when I did the 700R4. I tore it right down to a bare case. For a basic rebuild on a 200k mile 4L60E is rebuild kit what I should do? Just looking for something so the transmission doesn't leave me stranded on my 1500mile move in June.

I have no idea on previous history of the transmission other then the owner took extremely good care and always did the maintenance before it was due.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Good question..
Replace all the wear parts and go from there? I dont trust them.

If you dont have all the right tools then expect a few days and hope you dont get anything mixed up.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:33 PM
Launching!

Good question..
Replace all the wear parts and go from there? I dont trust them.

If you dont have all the right tools then expect a few days and hope you dont get anything mixed up.
I know the wear parts being clutches, bands, plastic accumalator (replacing with the HD aluminum ones). I read that the planet gear is only 4 and the 4L65E has 5, should I replace that? What does it do and how often does the stock one break? Won't be much power behind it, but I want it to not break
Also figured I would replace with a new sunshell with the hardened splines, only $30.

For the tools I have access to most everything I should need so tools should be covered.

Edit - I really wish I could do the 4L80 swap, but looks like a rebuild is cheaper and more attainable at this point in time......
Old 04-29-2013, 03:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

The one i just did for my z71 tahoe. i took all the clutchs out and if the were worn i put new ones in. Swapped in a 4WD output shaft, new filter and gaskets/orings in it and it works. have no clue for how long tho.
This transmission was freshened up and had a Transgo Shift kit and Sonnax 2-4 servo prolly 20k miles ago.

I had no idea what i was doin but i tried it
Did the same thing for the 60E in my Samurai.

I have a stock 4wd 4L80E in my shop just incase

for a stock 4.8 theres no need for a 5 pinion planetary.. it just spreads the load out on an extra pinion.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

The fun part is hoping it works when its put back in..
Old 04-29-2013, 03:42 PM
Launching!

The one i just did for my z71 tahoe. i took all the clutchs out and if the were worn i put new ones in. Swapped in a 4WD output shaft, new filter and gaskets/orings in it and it works. have no clue for how long tho.
This transmission was freshened up and had a Transgo Shift kit and Sonnax 2-4 servo prolly 20k miles ago.

I had no idea what i was doin but i tried it
Did the same thing for the 60E in my Samurai.

I have a stock 4wd 4L80E in my shop just incase

for a stock 4.8 theres no need for a 5 pinion planetary.. it just spreads the load out on an extra pinion.
I am swapping in a 5.3 when I pull the trans out to rebuild I know its not a huge upgrade, nothing like a 6.0, but still don't want it to go boom on me lol

I got looking at a few more rebuild kits and I think this one is the better of them - GM 4L60E Transmission Overhaul Rebuild Kit 97 Up | eBay Plus the hardened sunshell, aluminum accumulator pistons, and possibly a shift kit? I already have the vette servo that I will reuse - only been in maybe 12k miles.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:45 PM
Launching!

The fun part is hoping it works when its put back in..
haha isn't that the truth - The 700R4 that I pieced together with another 700R4 was bad in the end. I took one 700R4 that had forward gears, and a 700R4 with reverse, swapped the reverse drum and a few other things(thinking I would get reverse), but nothing happened. I just wound up with a 700R4 that had no reverse again lol I was 18 I think, and did it in one night, was in a hurry but accomplished nothing...... ended up trading the truck for a 6.5 Turbo diesel.

With this transmission I will take my time and make sure its all 100%.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the 4l60 is almost identical to the 700. youll notice the aluminum V/B. if i were you replace the pump, case and tailshaft bushings, get the beast reaction shell, replace the sprags, get the kevlar 2-5/8 2-4 band, vette servo, .500 boost valve, unbreakable ring kit, torrington bearing kit, and a master overhaul kit. if you have done the 700 this will be a piece of cake. oh yeah they offer a pump vane kit. i use transmissionpartsusa.com but im sure there are other places

Quick Reply: 4l60e rebuild difficulty?