Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Graphs | Power Comparisons | Dyno Truck List

Dyno results with filter and cutout combinations

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 04:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Hate to bump a 3 year thread, but from an informational standpoint this is one of the best posts I've read on this forum in over 10 years.

First, regarding the IC, it would have been nice to see the 76 with the old intercooler and then the 4", but I am about to conduct this experiment myself. If you were seeing this bad of restriction and IATs with your 24x12x3.5 core just imagine how bad my 20x12x3 core is.

Second, the air filter gain is UNREAL. What was the filter and tube setup at this time? Were you still running the 5 or 6" elbow? I've got the 5" with a massive K&N and never would I imagine a gain of almost 30 rwhp by just removing it. I'm definitely going to be removing all that at the track next time.

Finally, cutout also seems very beneficial. The HP gains seems to be more than just relating to the 0.5 psi boost increase. Cutout in my app seems like it would be beneficial.
Old 09-11-2015, 09:39 PM
Formerly ScreamingL

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
Hate to bump a 3 year thread, but from an informational standpoint this is one of the best posts I've read on this forum in over 10 years.

First, regarding the IC, it would have been nice to see the 76 with the old intercooler and then the 4", but I am about to conduct this experiment myself. If you were seeing this bad of restriction and IATs with your 24x12x3.5 core just imagine how bad my 20x12x3 core is.

Second, the air filter gain is UNREAL. What was the filter and tube setup at this time? Were you still running the 5 or 6" elbow? I've got the 5" with a massive K&N and never would I imagine a gain of almost 30 rwhp by just removing it. I'm definitely going to be removing all that at the track next time.

Finally, cutout also seems very beneficial. The HP gains seems to be more than just relating to the 0.5 psi boost increase. Cutout in my app seems like it would be beneficial.
most air filters dont flow enough cfm for most modern turbos, also if running just about anything but a metal elbow to turbo youll see it distort some with turbo working

ive saw a silicone elbow get sucked suck multiple times, one setup was a twin 70mm setup that at 20 psi you could hear a loud screach and dyno pull was aborted...come to find out the elbow sucked shut

any build we do we run no filters for track and on dyno, for street power filters are used since boost is limited

cut outs are very beneficial if you have a very restrictive exhaust, my old ls2 combo gained 12 rwhp by going from dual 3" to dumped down pipes [cutouts off the downpipes] this was only on 11 psi
Old 09-11-2015, 09:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by George C....
most air filters dont flow enough cfm for most modern turbos, also if running just about anything but a metal elbow to turbo youll see it distort some with turbo working

ive saw a silicone elbow get sucked suck multiple times, one setup was a twin 70mm setup that at 20 psi you could hear a loud screach and dyno pull was aborted...come to find out the elbow sucked shut

any build we do we run no filters for track and on dyno, for street power filters are used since boost is limited

cut outs are very beneficial if you have a very restrictive exhaust, my old ls2 combo gained 12 rwhp by going from dual 3" to dumped down pipes [cutouts off the downpipes] this was only on 11 psi
This is what I'm using. Elbow for big rigs with multiple reinforcements ribs. I doubt it's collapsing. It's much stronger than your typical floppy silicone elbow.

The filter is 5" diameter x 9" long if I recall. I'm not sure what the CFM rating is.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:07 PM
Formerly ScreamingL

This is what I'm using. Elbow for big rigs with multiple reinforcements ribs. I doubt it's collapsing. It's much stronger than your typical floppy silicone elbow.

The filter is 5" diameter x 9" long if I recall. I'm not sure what the CFM rating is.

remove it totally and watch your mph pick up
Old 09-11-2015, 10:21 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Yea I have seen an elbow collapse as well, but it was one of the non-reinforced solid rubber ones.

Just thought I would add I eventually went to a 5" dp and 5" cutout, then to a 5" dp out the fender. Power difference from the 5" cutout open and closed wasnt much, but spool was slightly better (and sounded very mean). Going from the cutout open to the fender dump didnt help power any (turbo was maxed out), but it did noticebly improve spool time.

If you read my first post the tube was a 5.5" to 4". I later went to a 5.5" to 6" filter.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by George C....
remove it totally and watch your mph pick up
Do you recommend pulling passenger headlight?
Old 09-11-2015, 10:46 PM
Formerly ScreamingL

Do you recommend pulling passenger headlight?
where is turbo placement? if in any path to turbo then yes!!!!!

reason why some of the fastest turbo vehicles in world have turbos to direct air, youll benefit from the forced air effect
Old 09-12-2015, 08:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

I played w my cutout and intake on the dyno a while ago. I gained a few psi and decent power w the cut out open but removing my air filter didn't make a difference. I have w 4 in turbo inlet. I have a 5 - 6 inch elbow and a huge 6 inch filter on it.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...esults-518656/
Old 10-21-2020, 10:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

5 years later, awesome thread!