Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Another shift question

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another shift question

Searched but didnt see anything similar to my situation

have a 2005 Escalade Ext AWD 124k on the dial services done accordingly but was coming home one night with a side by side (1500lbs max) on the open trailer and it came out of overdrive and rev'd like it was in neutral ,temp was at 198 degrees in the transmission. Let off the gas and it went back into gear and pulled fine the rest of the way home. Summer comes along and we get into the 90's and when the transmission is cold its fine, until 3rd gear then it reved and goes into gear. once the transmission gets up to operating temp it rev's between shifts.

Go to take it to work one day (filter and fluid in the box of the truck to be changed that afternoon) and it wouldn't go into 3rd. Rev's like its in neutral and stays in second, First and second shift fine cold but when its warm it doesn't want to shift. Do I bother with trying to change the fluid and filter or do I pull the transmission and have it rebuilt with the assumption that the 3/4 pack is out.

I know its time for the fluid to be changed as its not as ruby red as it once was (and I am coming up on the service interval anyways) and it looks red but on a white paper towel it has a hint of brown but the fluid is not burnt at all. Could contaminated fluid be causing this?

The Truck is stock with the exception of a Bullydog GT tuner, I only pull an open car trailer with a side x side or a open two place snowmobile trailer so it doesnt see heavy loads, I use it more as a car then I do a truck. I have a crew cab dually to pull with so I try to not use the Cadillac when I can.