Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Run your 4L80E swap on a 4L60e tune with no segment swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 05:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldred95
I did this for several months when I first put the 4L80E in my 95. I had to change the gear ratio table, shift tables of course, turn off the DTCs for the PWM and 3-2 downshift solenoids and check/change the line pressure tables accordingly. It did work with the relay but being that my PCM was inside I put the relay inside near the PCM and I got tired of hearing it click all the time. On top of that it seemed to produce a slight delay in shifting. It never caused any issues with slippage or anything but it was very lethargic to change gears for some reason. I later discovered the shift solenoid state table and changed it accordingly and was able to do away with the relay and operate the 80E on the otherwise stock 4L60E code and have been doing so for a few years now without issues. If there is a way to do this with EFI live I would highly recommend inverting it with the tune and not with the relay.
Hi im pm in you about the shift solenoid state table
Old 12-19-2015, 05:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by smokeshow
Some PCMs, like the one in my truck, can't handle the relay method or the changing of the setting in 2.24. Segment swap was absolutely necessary.
Which pcms are you refiring to , older late 90's black boxes?
My truck is a 200 v6 truck, with the black box 4 plug pcm, so do I have to get the OS from one of the 3/4 ton express vans that used the 4.3 and 4l80e and have someone flash that in?
if I had known what I know now -I would have stuck with the 2002 model trucks.
Old 12-31-2015, 03:06 PM
Teching In

Greetings trans swapperz, I got my 80 in and used post 54, single relay..... and I only got 3rd gear,
A good guy-joecar on ls1tech said,
3 steps:
1. eliminate the 3-2 solenoid wire (delete it(.
2. use the 4L60E TCC ON/OFF signal to drive the 4L80E TCC PWM (no relay needed).
3. connect relay pina as follows:
a. pin 85 to 12V.
b. pin 86 to PCM's 2-3 solenoid wire (so PCM can activate relay).
c. pin 30 to transmission's 2-3 solenod wire.
d. pin 87a to ground.
e. pin 87 to 12V (or open is ok).

Use a relay like you would find in you fuse panel, you need a socket to plug it in.

this was confusing, because-as I email
d him...

"Hi joe, I found this confusing because,
1. you said to eliminate the 3-2 selonoid wire completely~ but then you said the -switch part of the relay--wire that into the 3-2 selonoid wire??

how does one do that if it has been eliminated?

I ended up using the one relay mod in this thread post 54
https://www.performancetrucks.net/for...-486918/page6/

the wiring for the relay is different than what you instructed.

I got the tranny swapped in and the test drive--I only got 3rd gear--even from starting out--that stresses it quite a bit from a stop.
at first it did shift from 2nd to third but now no more--and the brake light was coming on when I tried shifting it manually with the lever--and that stopped too
I got pics of what I did if you could email me at truckeez@ya who (edited)

at the 20 pin plug I swapped the tan/black wire out for the grey wire in the s position, and now the grey and brown wire are unplugged and out of the harness, I ran the front Iss plug to the # 7&8 pinpoints in the white connector--again I have the 4 plug black box in my 2000 v6 truck
anyhow--the relay , I used an old section of harness from a old Mercedes diesel I had, I put it in up next to the "electrical center" and the only 12vlt acess was the big -glow plug/ cust feed post, and the two switch wires spliced into the yellow /black wire from #4 of the red plug connector, Those euro plug ends are great--you can very easily swap the wiring input ends in the socket so easily, so I can try your wiring , anyhow I appreciate any tips you got so I can get that damn 80 to shift like its supposed to, Thanks "

so I only got 3rd gear, could anyone please give advice so I can get it operating correctly, Thanks-Truckeez
Old 01-08-2016, 12:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I helped Truckeez resolve his 4L80E swap problem. Used Tunercats to swap a 4L80E trans segment from a 2000 5.7/4L80E setup into his otherwise stock 2000 V6 Silverado tune. I flashed the PCM while he eliminated the relay. He had to move one wire in the trans connector from where he had it to another in order to clear a P1860 code for the torque converter clutch solenoid.
Old 01-08-2016, 02:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Fast355
I helped Truckeez resolve his 4L80E swap problem. Used Tunercats to swap a 4L80E trans segment from a 2000 5.7/4L80E setup into his otherwise stock 2000 V6 Silverado tune. I flashed the PCM while he eliminated the relay. He had to move one wire in the trans connector from where he had it to another in order to clear a P1860 code for the torque converter clutch solenoid.
You did a Bitchen Job too my friend, it had the brake light on-on the way home last nite-but today its gone--Hell, I don't even got the check engine light on anymore!!!
Now I can drive to where-ever, when ever I see some tasty truck or rod parts for my projects- without fearing 3rd and 4th will crap out on me-headin thru vulture canyon AZ!!
thankz a bunch Fast

Old 03-10-2016, 10:20 PM
Teching In

Soooo.... Since I'm so awesome at comprehending everything basically the only reason for the relay mod on an 80 swap is to use the Pwm output from the PCM to turn on a relay to control Tcc with a 60e tune?

The main reason not to do a segment swap is because of the PCM unlocking the converter at 0% throttle and thus the reason people are trying to make the 60e program work?

I was trying to see just what I had the ability to program using efi live but I'm having trouble downloading the file with an 80e from tunefiledepot. When I try to click on the file I want it takes me to another page with all sorts of matrix looking stuff. I just got all the stuff to make this swap happen with the exception of the tune stuff sorted out. I just wanted to have a segment swapped file ready to go just in case I needed a quick fix. Anybody have a file or know how to get files off tunefiledepot so I can segment swap?