Notices
Silverado SS, Joe Gibbs Editions, SSR Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |Engine | Body | News

Any problems with your SS...?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 12:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any problems with your SS...?

I've been searching around for an SS, and noticed alot are forsale with low miles, I'm really thinking on buying one soon. Is there anything I should be aware about, any problems the truck has, hows the AWD handling?
Old 04-10-2007, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey I'v got an 06 2wd and i have no conplaint's or problems with it yet... runs great, only thing is a common problem and can be fix fast. at WOT when shifting from first to second it make a skreeching noise but i'v been told it's just the fan and i will soon get a gatorback belt everyone says that takes care of the problem... but im extremely happy with my truck
Old 04-10-2007, 01:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like mine. But I just keep dumping money into mods, it's hard not trying to make it fast
Old 04-10-2007, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Z06 DREAMING
I like mine. But I just keep dumping money into mods, it's hard not trying to make it fast

I have an 03 AWD.
28k-
I have some mods and want more.
I blew a trans line off the trans which burned up my trans
I have had no other problems.
I love my truck, you dont see em that often, they are very nice on theinside...Just keep in mind whan you buy this truck you will spend some money on it
Old 04-10-2007, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I both my 05 SS awd last year new and if i have deside for it again i do it.I'm very happy with mine.It is bone stock but looking were to start because most Harleys Dav. had more than factory boost and i need some help.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:36 PM
Launching!

Biggest problem: not enough money for mods
Old 04-10-2007, 09:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blkssncpt
Hey I'v got an 06 2wd and i have no conplaint's or problems with it yet... runs great, only thing is a common problem and can be fix fast. at WOT when shifting from first to second it make a skreeching noise but i'v been told it's just the fan and i will soon get a gatorback belt everyone says that takes care of the problem... but im extremely happy with my truck
Other than the noise, how are the rear-ends on these trucks, and are the tranny's strong. Thanks for all the info.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

the trans is the weak spot. rears seem ok, but if you want to keep this truck you will think about upgrading the trans...for piece of mind.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Rear: I beat the crap out of mine with above normal HP and TQ. She is holding fine. I did some insurance and installed a TA rear girdle and berring cap studs. 40K no issues.

Tranny: I had good luck with my stock 65E and actually had the blower on for a year with the only upgrades being a 3000 stall converter.

Truck: No real issues, the steering shaft clunk is a minor one but if that is all I have to worry about, I'll take it.

I loved the truck in 03 and still do. I just wished it came with more snot from the factory.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Talking

Originally Posted by BlueRider
Other than the noise, how are the rear-ends on these trucks, and are the tranny's strong. Thanks for all the info.
Yeah Onyx is right the tranny is a weak point. but its not a big weak the rear is fine i beat it up a lot too and still no problems... i just dont like the fact that stock it want do the 120 on the speed... maybe it might have been the wind factor holdin me back alittle, but when i was stock did about 114 and with the couple of mods i have i gotten up to 118ish. but it was the same freeway... but im still really happy with it i'v even taken out a couple of lightnings on the street.

Quick Reply: Any problems with your SS...?