PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   Silverado SS, Joe Gibbs Editions, SSR (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/silverado-ss-joe-gibbs-editions-ssr-166/)
-   -   Any problems with your SS...? (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/silverado-ss-joe-gibbs-editions-ssr-166/any-problems-your-ss-390159/)

BlueRider 04-10-2007 12:23 PM

Any problems with your SS...?

I've been searching around for an SS, and noticed alot are forsale with low miles, I'm really thinking on buying one soon. Is there anything I should be aware about, any problems the truck has, hows the AWD handling?

blkssncpt 04-10-2007 12:52 PM

Hey I'v got an 06 2wd and i have no conplaint's or problems with it yet... runs great, only thing is a common problem and can be fix fast. at WOT when shifting from first to second it make a skreeching noise but i'v been told it's just the fan and i will soon get a gatorback belt everyone says that takes care of the problem... but im extremely happy with my truck

ZR1 DREAMING 04-10-2007 01:14 PM

I like mine. But I just keep dumping money into mods, it's hard not trying to make it fast :bang:

OnyxSilveradoSS 04-10-2007 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Z06 DREAMING
I like mine. But I just keep dumping money into mods, it's hard not trying to make it fast :bang:

:stupid:
I have an 03 AWD.
28k-
I have some mods and want more.
I blew a trans line off the trans which burned up my trans
I have had no other problems.
I love my truck, you dont see em that often, they are very nice on theinside...Just keep in mind whan you buy this truck you will spend some money on it :drive:

fastsspr 04-10-2007 05:01 PM

I both my 05 SS awd last year new and if i have deside for it again i do it.I'm very happy with mine.It is bone stock but looking were to start because most Harleys Dav. had more than factory boost and i need some help.

jf-03-ss 04-10-2007 05:36 PM

Biggest problem: not enough money for mods :cry:

BlueRider 04-10-2007 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by blkssncpt
Hey I'v got an 06 2wd and i have no conplaint's or problems with it yet... runs great, only thing is a common problem and can be fix fast. at WOT when shifting from first to second it make a skreeching noise but i'v been told it's just the fan and i will soon get a gatorback belt everyone says that takes care of the problem... but im extremely happy with my truck

Other than the noise, how are the rear-ends on these trucks, and are the tranny's strong. Thanks for all the info.

OnyxSilveradoSS 04-11-2007 05:44 AM

the trans is the weak spot. rears seem ok, but if you want to keep this truck you will think about upgrading the trans...for piece of mind.

krambo 04-11-2007 09:05 AM

Rear: I beat the crap out of mine with above normal HP and TQ. She is holding fine. I did some insurance and installed a TA rear girdle and berring cap studs. 40K no issues.

Tranny: I had good luck with my stock 65E and actually had the blower on for a year with the only upgrades being a 3000 stall converter.

Truck: No real issues, the steering shaft clunk is a minor one but if that is all I have to worry about, I'll take it.

I loved the truck in 03 and still do. :drive: I just wished it came with more snot from the factory.

blkssncpt 04-11-2007 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by BlueRider
Other than the noise, how are the rear-ends on these trucks, and are the tranny's strong. Thanks for all the info.

Yeah Onyx is right the tranny is a weak point. but its not a big weak the rear is fine i beat it up a lot too and still no problems... i just dont like the fact that stock it want do the 120 on the speed... maybe it might have been the wind factor holdin me back alittle, but when i was stock did about 114 and with the couple of mods i have i gotten up to 118ish. but it was the same freeway... but im still really happy with it i'v even taken out a couple of lightnings on the street. :drive: