Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

The Yukon NVG4500 Manual Transmission Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 11:33 AM
Teching In

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
The MC is a kit. MC, pushrod, switch, and plastic bushing. Everything you need for drop-in replacement. It was prefilled and bled. I installed it. Then i pushed the QD connector in a couple of times after it snapped. Saw a couple of bubbles come up and it was done. 15 min max.
Wanted to thank you again for the part number. I finally got my MC installed it definitely fixed the peddle feel of being on the floor. It took me longer to go to the parts store and get the special tool for the QD than it did to replace the MC.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

And isn't that how it is? Months of banging your head against the wall and it ends up being some simple fix that no one bothered to tell you about. lol
Old 05-09-2018, 09:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please someone tell me if I have to pull the dash all the way out to put a bracket in for the top bolt. I hope there's a shortcut but if I have to do it then I just want to know for sure so I can get into it. I have to pull the column and entire dash, don't I?
Old 05-10-2018, 08:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by axekick
Please someone tell me if I have to pull the dash all the way out to put a bracket in for the top bolt. I hope there's a shortcut but if I have to do it then I just want to know for sure so I can get into it. I have to pull the column and entire dash, don't I?
I went ahead and did that since at that time I had the plastic bracket and was worried it was needed. It might be possible to skip that with the Atomic bracket since that one is metal?

For me to install the top bracket I just took some angle iron and welded in a small square on the end. Drilled some mounting holes. I had to remove the whole dash and column to do this. That means the seats and console also had to come out. If you read up or watch a video on how to pull the dash it will cut your stress level by 80%. It really isn't that hard but it is time consuming. Anyways the bracket has about 5K miles on it and still holding.

Also when I say remove the dash I really mean leave it in the truck and just slide out enough to access the firewall.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:02 AM
TECH Regular

Thank you! That's not what I hoped to hear but it's what I figured. I saw the picture you posted of the bracket. That's very helpful. I've watched a couple of videos. It looks like taking it apart isn't too bad but it might be easy to forget to put something back. Or I'm worried that it won't all slide back in place after I mount the pedal. Oh well. I get my transmission and pedal and everything tomorrow so it's time to tear into it. My auto is out already.

What would be sweet would be tearing into it and finding the required mount already in there but that's doubtful in my Tahoe.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

You should be able to inspect for the mounting bracket before taking anything apart. Might take an inspection mirror.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:14 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
You should be able to inspect for the mounting bracket before taking anything apart. Might take an inspection mirror.
I'll have to wait until tomorrow when I have a pedal assembly to put in there to see where it should be. I have looked all up under there but I don't see anything promising.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:36 AM
TECH Regular

I got this! It's temporarily mounted so I can mark where the shifter hole goes. I'm still dreadin the damn pedal install but it seems like everything else is very straight forward.

Last edited by axekick; 05-14-2018 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:15 PM
TECH Regular

For those who made a nut strip for the front of the pedal bracket, are you just able to slide it in from the top? I haven't gotten that far but it seems like the plastic panel under the dash might be in the way and make it difficult to get a strip of metal in there. I'm planning to make mine out of 1/2" bar stock and simply drilling and tapping the holes. Then I'll put double sided tape on it and stick it to the inside of the firewall bracket.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

I was able to slide the first one in no problem, then it promptly vanished some where in the truck, then I put a piece of foam just under the bottom whole and made another bolt plate and it slid in no problem.

Quick Reply: The Yukon NVG4500 Manual Transmission Swap Thread