Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

The Yukon NVG4500 Manual Transmission Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 02:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic
Glad you like it! I am going to steal that pic if you dont mind
Glad to be of service! I should have cleaned up the workbench. Looks like the empire of dirt. HAHA. Now that all this is done I need to move on to those coilover brackets.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been wanting to do this to my suburban since I got it January of 2017. I kept letting people talk me out of it. I’m going to start gathering parts. Are you selling those consoles? Nice work there for sure. I’m not a racer but I pull with my burb and I HATE the 4l60e. Do you happen to have any videos up yet or did I overlook them? I thought I read every post and made an account just to comment and I’ll start my own thread when my swap starts.

Last edited by BurbZ71; 03-15-2018 at 06:07 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

I do have a video but its pretty crappy even by YT standards so I am going to re-do it.

For the console what I did is remove the sub. Trim out the supporting plastic to form a tunnel. The only part that required any serious work was the console lid. It is a couple layers of plastic. I melted the tabs that held the pieces together. Then I got a piece of acrylic. Cut a hole in it and then bonded it to the console lid trim. I cut the little pocket and cig lighter out of the piece I removed earlier and also glued it back to the console lid.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
I do have a video but its pretty crappy even by YT standards so I am going to re-do it.

For the console what I did is remove the sub. Trim out the supporting plastic to form a tunnel. The only part that required any serious work was the console lid. It is a couple layers of plastic. I melted the tabs that held the pieces together. Then I got a piece of acrylic. Cut a hole in it and then bonded it to the console lid trim. I cut the little pocket and cig lighter out of the piece I removed earlier and also glued it back to the console lid.
console actullt sounds simple to make. Even if it crappy share that video. I’m just curious what the drop from second third is like and how it drives overall. Thanks in advance
Old 04-17-2018, 08:21 AM
Teching In

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Today I got the Atomic metal clutch bracket installed in the truck. It uses the factory plastic pedal but replaces the weak point of the system. The plastic breaks out around the MC mounting provision. This leaves the truck disabled. The new Atomic fab bracket is pretty damn amazing. I am impressed and that is hard to do.

At the same time I also installed GM part number 24242325. This MC comes with a redesigned body and longer pushrod. The new part solved my low clutch engagement issues. Now the friction zone is about halfway in the pedal instead of down on the floor. I have a lot more control and shifting effort is vastly reduced. I highly recommend this part for anyone doing the conversion!
Thanks for sharing your build. I am having the low clutch engagement issue, my pedal is basically to the floor before I can shift. Where did you get the redesigned master cylinder?
Old 04-17-2018, 11:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sosa454
Thanks for sharing your build. I am having the low clutch engagement issue, my pedal is basically to the floor before I can shift. Where did you get the redesigned master cylinder?

I really struggled with this one and it makes your vehicle almost impossible to drive. I checked the floor mat. Thought about modding the floor pan. Shimming the slave.... you name it.

But lucky us that the GM part DOES fix the issue. 24242325. I got it from GM parts direct. Or your local dealer. I don't know if there is a correct aftermarket version of this master. Its about 120 dollars. It makes a massive difference and it only takes minutes to install! My truck drives like a regular stick shift now.
The following 2 users liked this post by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed:
kjc (04-18-2018), Sosa454 (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 11:21 AM
Teching In

I really struggled with this one and it makes your vehicle almost impossible to drive. I checked the floor mat. Thought about modding the floor pan. Shimming the slave.... you name it.

But lucky us that the GM part DOES fix the issue. 24242325. I got it from GM parts direct. Or your local dealer. I don't know if there is a correct aftermarket version of this master. Its about 120 dollars. It makes a massive difference and it only takes minutes to install! My truck drives like a regular stick shift now.
Thanks for that. My clutch was replaced maybe 3 months ago and after gravity bleeding several weekends the clutch pedal never felt the same. Driving it now really pisses me off especially in traffic.

Did you have to bleed the new mc? What all comes with the new mc? I'm glad I came across your build.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

The MC is a kit. MC, pushrod, switch, and plastic bushing. Everything you need for drop-in replacement. It was prefilled and bled. I installed it. Then i pushed the QD connector in a couple of times after it snapped. Saw a couple of bubbles come up and it was done. 15 min max.
The following 2 users liked this post by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed:
kjc (04-18-2018), Sosa454 (05-09-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 01:39 PM
Teching In

The MC is a kit. MC, pushrod, switch, and plastic bushing. Everything you need for drop-in replacement. It was prefilled and bled. I installed it. Then i pushed the QD connector in a couple of times after it snapped. Saw a couple of bubbles come up and it was done. 15 min max.
Awesome, thanks for all the input.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:58 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You had to pull the entire column and dash to make that upper mount bracket, didn't you?

Quick Reply: The Yukon NVG4500 Manual Transmission Swap Thread