Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Color Changing My Whole Truck..

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 10:13 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Color Changing My Whole Truck..

Well like the title says.. I'm kinda new to posting on the site. But been a member and searching information for a while. I have a 99 Silverado.. that at the moment is yellow.. i bought it cheap from my step brother and love it, cept the color haha, im in an Autobody program so im goin to do EVERYTHING my self. Paint and all. i was curious and went and had an estimate done to see how much $$$ im saving, lol more than i thought, they quoted 1700-1800 if i supply paint and do all the body work, basically just them spraying it.. i get paint for free, what color do you all think i should get? i was thinking a Gunmetal Grey Pearl, from Nason, its a single stage, so there wont be any clear coat (mixed in with the paint already) which has its downsides, but good thing is if it gets scratched unless its major it will buff out everytime until you burn through it haha, but original color is Vic Red, which was what i was goin to do because who ever painted it before left ALOT red, under the hood, under the bed cover, under dang near everything they just did exterior and jammed it, ive thought about it, if im goin to do it i might as well do a color i want, i was thinkin either Pearl Black, or Gunmetal Pearl, with the front bumper pieces painted to match and a roll pan which i think ill mold in, with a 2" lowering shackle and the American Eagle Alloy 219's 18x9.5 in the rear and 8's or 8.5's up front and the Cal Vu mirrors. it will be lowered more in the future but doing all this is going to be pushing the wallet.. what do you guys think?? maybe a diff color?? gimme suggestions!! thanks
Old 01-26-2007, 08:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

pearl black would look good
Old 01-26-2007, 08:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

i was thinkin candy apple green...
Old 01-26-2007, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

I like your idea of gunmetal grey or black. I would choose the grey over the black simply because black is difficult to paint. Make sure you paint all the hard areas like the door jambs, under the hood, etc. I like your wheel choice too but I don't think the Eagle 219's are being produced anymore. I could be wrong. I DO KNOW the 18x9.5 size is not made anymore.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:57 AM
10 Second Club

Use a two-stage. please.... gunmetal > black
Old 01-26-2007, 10:43 PM
Launching!

BlackLM7 yeah the wheels arent in production anymore i dont think but there are places you can still get them, and the 9.5's.. and TXMaro i could use a 2 stage if i wanted, and it wouldnt orange peel as easy, or i may spray clear over the single stage, which would hide alot of orange peel, there is no escape of orange peel, even factory cars have it, im not sure what im going to do as of yet, and yea im def doin door jams and all, no short cuts what so ever, i want it done right.

Last edited by DunnoWhoThisIs; 01-26-2007 at 10:53 PM.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you wanted a nice paint job, there's nothing like a good two stage or three stage(pearl application) IMO. Single stages look good and quick to do but you get so much more color out of a two stage than a single. And personally, I've always like a Blue Metallic like the Corvette Lemanz Blue.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:44 PM
Launching!

yeah i know what you mean, i may not be right but i believe its from the clear coat.. it magnifys everything which makes the color seem diff and magnifys the metallic flakes and everything, i may do a 2 stage, but i think really that a 3 stage would be too advanced for me, im just 18 and in autobody in a tech center, and dont have time to really do a multi stage paint, im not sure what im gonna do yet, i have to check what all colors i can choose from too. ill keep ya updated tho.. thanks for the suggestions!!
Old 01-27-2007, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well, with a two stage, you can add stuff to the color to really brighten it up then the clear goes on where a single stage, you really can't b/c the clear is already mixed in. If your going to do it, do it right and take the time to do it. Don't skimp on this or you will be kicking yourself until you redo it.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:14 PM
Launching!

yeah i know exactly what you mean, im fixing other people's mistakes right now, and im making sure everything is done correct, ive painted before, not a whole truck, but what ive painted looked good, dual stage is much easier to paint compared to a single, when talking about orange peel, im goin to make it look like it has never been color changed before, or atleast thats my goal, doin under hood, jams, and everthing else, making sure every single dent is out, even putting new fenders up front (one is bowed out and the other has good sized dents on the body lines) i want it done right, with no waves, ive seen paint jobs where the body looks excellent until paint gets on and then its wavey as heck, which shouldnt be a problem with mine, since im not taking it down to metal or even back to the red, if you know some places to get fenders and roll pans cheap lemme know because im goin to need them both, thanks!

Quick Reply: Color Changing My Whole Truck..