PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Steve-o-08's Silverado Build Thread, Take Three.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 08:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 133 Likes on 88 Posts

Sorry for the confusion, I'm looking for a 10" spring. I'm not sure an 8" will work on my coilover at current ride height.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:50 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Hyperco makes a 1300lb in 7in. How much shock compression travel do you have? Might could fit a 7 or 8" spring. What shocks do you have?
Old 08-22-2017, 09:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 133 Likes on 88 Posts

Ridetech HQ 4.1 with ~1.5" compression and extension from ride height. The collar is currently about half way up the body so not sure I can move it up 2" for an 8" spring. Definitely cannot use a 7" spring.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:04 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Well you could go to a shorter shock if you want to use a stiffer spring. You could use my 2wd brackets and have a stronger mount and take up some of that room at the same time. Would need different shocks to maintain your ride height though.
Old 08-27-2017, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve, awesome build. I was gonna sell my 99 2dr Tahoe but you have inspired me to go this direction. I do have a question...at one point you considered a splined sway bar and you posted a few links, why didn't you go that route?

Chris
Old 09-03-2017, 11:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kamarokrs
Steve, awesome build. I was gonna sell my 99 2dr Tahoe but you have inspired me to go this direction. I do have a question...at one point you considered a splined sway bar and you posted a few links, why didn't you go that route?

Chris
Still may consider doing a splined bar. At the time I didn't realize I was so under-sprung in the front. I was relying too much on the sway bar to keep the truck from rolling over instead of upping spring rate to help support the truck. I have an idea for an adjustable rear bar that I might start working on later this year. Right now I'm going to see how the truck works out and see if I can dial it in some more at the next few events.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

Were you able to grab any video clips on how it runs after you swapped the t56 in it?
Old 09-06-2017, 10:37 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by The_W
Were you able to grab any video clips on how it runs after you swapped the t56 in it?
I do have a quick clip of me driving it around. I'll have some in-cab and outside views at the next autocross event coming up week after next. Just been really busy with work and house stuff. I'll try to get it posted this week.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:05 PM
TECH Resident

Figured I better update this thread. Had a few issued with the truck after the transmission swap. I was having a throttle issue where the truck would go into limp mode on a long second gear pull. To try and narrow down the issue I swapped the 90mm LS3 and X-Link out for a stock throttle body. This ended up not fixing the issue and kept me from running the truck at one of the autocross events I went to. After looking at the tune file for the 100th time I realized the problem was with the Calculated Airmass vs TPS vs RPM table and Part of the segment swap. Made some adjustments and the problem was fixed.

Steve-o-08's Silverado Build Thread, Take Three.-6pf816s.jpg

Steve-o-08's Silverado Build Thread, Take Three.-qj9dbo4.jpg

Steve-o-08's Silverado Build Thread, Take Three.-oqdbxmj.jpg

Steve-o-08's Silverado Build Thread, Take Three.-tkl2tft.jpg

Then at the last NMCA event of the year I got a few runs out of the truck before I lost the clutch. At first I thought it was the throwout bearing locking up, but after towing it home and tearing it apart I found out the pilot bearing failed. Part of it hurt end the sleeve that the throwout bearing rides on and kept it from extending completely. Unfortunately with the pilot bearing out, the input shaft of the trans chewed up the inside of the pilot bearing and now there is a slight amount of play in the input shaft. Going to swap out the input shaft and pilot bearing for a bushing and get the truck back out and get it dialed in.

Steve-o-08's Silverado Build Thread, Take Three.-d7nscdd.jpg

Steve-o-08's Silverado Build Thread, Take Three.-dltarfi.jpg

Steve-o-08's Silverado Build Thread, Take Three.-m9e7oq6.jpg

Steve-o-08's Silverado Build Thread, Take Three.-s36e7td.jpg

Steve-o-08's Silverado Build Thread, Take Three.-rquonns.jpg

Steve-o-08's Silverado Build Thread, Take Three.-vuopivc.jpg

While the truck was dawn I also started my own Flex Fuel conversion. Which I had wanted to do for a while. After seeing a few companies' setups I realized I had almost all of the pieces leftover from other projects to build my own. Not bad for less than $100 in parts. Haven't messed with the tune part of it yet, but I will when I get the truck back up and running.

Steve-o-08's Silverado Build Thread, Take Three.-ns2rmu0.jpg

Steve-o-08's Silverado Build Thread, Take Three.-jtmficw.jpg

Steve-o-08's Silverado Build Thread, Take Three.-bfi8mih.jpg

Overall it's a bummer that I wasn't able to get some solid events out of the truck this year but I have a lot planned for next year. A few f those plans including swapping a 6 speed into Claudia's truck along with some more power and potentially some new brake/suspension parts for both trucks. Stay tuned.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

do you think if you had a cable throttle body it could have been avoided?

Quick Reply: Steve-o-08's Silverado Build Thread, Take Three.