PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Steve-o-08's Silverado Build Thread, Take Three.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 11:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeebalow
That looks very clean! Details on shifter? What is the transmission out of? My t56 has the shifter in the rear location. I had to modify the shift rail to get it up to the middle inspection cover above the shift gate. Since the shift gate is right below the throw is very noticeably different left to right than front to back. The geometry is off.
This transmission is a TR6060. Basically a 2010+ Camaro transmission. The stock Camaro shifter location is the the front. The shifter is a Core/Hurst unit that replaced the stock linkage. The handle is a Hurst that I came across browsing through their catalog and just happened to work out nicely. The shifter is set up for a 10+ inch long handle. The throws aren't too bad. Not crazy short like come camaro/corvettes but they don't have to run as tall of a handle.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 133 Likes on 88 Posts

Congrats on the trans conversion. That should make a noticeable difference on throttle modulation around the course.

I would like to digress on your expedition though...
Originally when you first started with the stock front/Hotchkis rear bars, you stated it had a lot of understeer, then mentioned the the rear was disconnected because it was coming around too easy, which would suggest oversteer. If you could give a brief over view of how the swaybar changes from then to now affected the balance of the truck, I would appreciate it.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

A T56 is on my list once my 4l60e craps out. Ready to see some video of what I can look forward to.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BigKID
Congrats on the trans conversion. That should make a noticeable difference on throttle modulation around the course.

I would like to digress on your expedition though...
Originally when you first started with the stock front/Hotchkis rear bars, you stated it had a lot of understeer, then mentioned the the rear was disconnected because it was coming around too easy, which would suggest oversteer. If you could give a brief over view of how the swaybar changes from then to now affected the balance of the truck, I would appreciate it.
Shock adjustment helped with the understeer. I had to stiffen up the rear to gain some more front grip. I was able to leave the rear bar disconnected to help plant the rear end throughout a corner. Both of the bars only have one mounting point. I have a plan to modify a rear bar so I'll have some adjustment in the back. Currently the rear bar is a touch too much with the current shock adjustments. I would like to have some rear bar to help with body roll, so I'll have to play with adjustments to see what works best.

Both Fortunately and unfortunately the courses we run are always different so a setup that works one day may not work as well the next.

Originally Posted by The_W
A T56 is on my list once my 4l60e craps out. Ready to see some video of what I can look forward to.

Cruised the truck around yesterday. Got a quick driving clip. I'm going to have to play with the throttle mapping still. I just wanted to get in it and drive it so I didn't change anything tune related yet.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:00 AM
TECH Veteran

So you firmed up the rear shocks to help with understeer but left the rear bar disconnected to help with oversteer? Which setup are you referring to here?

How did changing the front bar, stock > Belltech > Hotchkis, affect the understeer?
Old 08-22-2017, 01:17 PM
TECH Resident

So you firmed up the rear shocks to help with understeer but left the rear bar disconnected to help with oversteer? Which setup are you referring to here?

How did changing the front bar, stock > Belltech > Hotchkis, affect the understeer?

So making a change to one end will affect how the other reacts. If i'm experiencing understeer I will firm up the rear to take away some of the rear traction and allow the front to bite more. That goes the same for the front. There are tons of different factors that play into it. As for the front bar, It didn't change understeer very much. The cause of the understeer was too soft of a spring in the front. The truck would fall over on it's self when braking and coming into a corner and it was all the tires could do to keep the truck going in the right direction. This setup is constantly changing as is my driving style. So it's constantly a moving target.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:40 PM
TECH Veteran

I am fighting the front end dip/roll too causing a positive camber change and understeer in the turns. I have been reading philosophies on using a softer spring with a stiffer bar to effectively control roll the same as adding front spring rate without the comfort and compliance trade-off. I ordered the stiffest front bar I could find, which is an Addco 1.5" solid, so we'll see how that helps with the 900# springs over the stock 36mm bar.
Are your current 1200# springs only 8" length? I'm having a hard time finding a 10" spring higher than 900#.
Old 08-22-2017, 04:21 PM
TECH Resident

I am fighting the front end dip/roll too causing a positive camber change and understeer in the turns. I have been reading philosophies on using a softer spring with a stiffer bar to effectively control roll the same as adding front spring rate without the comfort and compliance trade-off. I ordered the stiffest front bar I could find, which is an Addco 1.5" solid, so we'll see how that helps with the 900# springs over the stock 36mm bar.
Are your current 1200# springs only 8" length? I'm having a hard time finding a 10" spring higher than 900#.

Honestly I had tried that route. I ran the Belltech front bar and the Hotchkis Front bar on stock springs and 900's and they weren't enough. The 1200lb springs are not too stiff to be comfortable I would actually like to go higher if I can. They are 8" front springs from Eibach. Both Eibach and Pac sell 1200lb 8" long, 2.5" ID Springs I might have to step down to an 6" main for and a 2" helper if I go up in rate.

Last edited by Steve-O-08; 08-22-2017 at 05:14 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 04:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Must be a non-catalog item you have to call for. Eibach and PAC only list up to 800 and Hyperco up to 900. I presume you got yours thru your work?

So there's a noticeable improvement in understeer from 900 to 1200# springs?
Old 08-22-2017, 05:04 PM
TECH Resident

Regular stocking part number: 0800.250.1200

http://eibach.com/sites/devperforman...20_Catalog.pdf

Quick Reply: Steve-o-08's Silverado Build Thread, Take Three.