PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Steve-o-08's Silverado Build Thread, Take Three.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 11:29 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

You can do a coilover setup in the rear alongside your leafs if you want. Just start out with a soft spring. Springs are relatively cheap so you could have a couple on hand and they arent terribly hard to change out. You could tune it to be as stiff as you want that way, and even different side to side if the weight isnt perfectly balanced.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did toss around the idea of adding a spring to the rear shocks. I just don't like how flimsy the upper shock mounts are. Having the split in them from the factory is fine for the shock, but I didn't want to push it. I could alway relocate the shocks, but if I ended up going that far I would probably just link it.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 132 Likes on 87 Posts

In regards to steering response, how is the quickner working out? Is there a significant improvement in turn-in with less steering wheel motion? Even with the increased steering effort, do you feel it was a worthwhile modification?

Also, nice work on the hood. Is the placement based off any air flow or pressure data or just on looks/fitment?
Old 01-19-2018, 06:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BigKID
In regards to steering response, how is the quickner working out? Is there a significant improvement in turn-in with less steering wheel motion? Even with the increased steering effort, do you feel it was a worthwhile modification?

Also, nice work on the hood. Is the placement based off any air flow or pressure data or just on looks/fitment?

I do like the faster steering. Definitely worth it.

As for the hood. I wanted it in a spot that didn't require too much cutting of the support on the bottom side of the hood. It actually worked out pretty well because the vent begins just behind the radiator which helps pull a good amount of heat out of the engine bay. I'll have to wait to see on a warmer day, not that I had issues with it getting hot.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:04 AM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve-O-08
Thanks! The quickener is doing alright. I was thinking about pulling it out and taking it apart to to grease it and see if I could take some of the resistance out of it. I've got the stock steering wheel back on to help with steering effort, but I would like to go back with an aftermarket wheel at some point.

Still running 1200's up front. I may try a set of 1300's to see how they do. Still on the stock leaf pack with the dodge overloads. I still don't think it's enough spring in the back. I did find a few companies that sell a 5 leaf rear spring that should still be at stock height (would be the same for me with the flip kit) I may try a set of those just to see. I can get a pair fro around $400. I would still like to go 3 or 4 link in the rear, But I've got to have the budget for it.

I would really like to make it competitive on leaf springs, Just to prove a point haha. I really need to get out and drive it more and work out all the little bugs.

*Another thought I wad was to try a helper bag in the rear. I can play with air pressure easier that swapping leafs*
Is the aftermarket steering wheel a smaller diameter?
BigKID asked the other questions I was going to inquire about. All in all it was worth it?

Do you ever daily it?

I hear yah about keeping the leafs. Have you thought of composite leafs?
Curious how air would help out. Atomics idea is a good one too.
If/when you do decide to go linked, will you build or buy a bolt-on kit?

I noticed the placement of the hood, haha. Perfect fit and it looks great.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:38 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Tig
Is the aftermarket steering wheel a smaller diameter?
BigKID asked the other questions I was going to inquire about. All in all it was worth it?

Do you ever daily it?

I hear yah about keeping the leafs. Have you thought of composite leafs?
Curious how air would help out. Atomics idea is a good one too.
If/when you do decide to go linked, will you build or buy a bolt-on kit?

I noticed the placement of the hood, haha. Perfect fit and it looks great.

The previous Sparco wheel was smaller than stock 13.5" if I remember correctly. The new wheel I was looking at was just under 15". Stock was about 15 3/4 I believe. I wanted to go with a suede wheel because it'll work a little better with gloves. I am going to start driving it more. I just want to get more comfortable in it and used to all these damn changes.

I don't really have the option for an off the shelf composite leaf. Although that would be cool. I just think it's a lot of weight to toss around on composite leafs. I know Ridetech has a kit with composite leafs for a square body truck, but they aren't the same size as the 99-06 trucks. And I believe the rate is only 250lbs or so. Which is right around where I am now.

I may try and test out the air bag route after talking with Belltech about doing some testing for them. We already have some prototype shocks on Claudia's Silverado from them that we've been testing.

I've already got some cad drawings for a rear suspension kit that would be almost completely bolt in. I'm going to try and push the leaf setup as far as i can before going that route.

I've got a few little spots to touch up on the hood this weekend going to see if I can get the truck wrapped next weekend. So we'll see. I'll keep you all posted.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:22 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve-O-08
The previous Sparco wheel was smaller than stock 13.5" if I remember correctly. The new wheel I was looking at was just under 15". Stock was about 15 3/4 I believe. I wanted to go with a suede wheel because it'll work a little better with gloves. I am going to start driving it more. I just want to get more comfortable in it and used to all these damn changes.

I don't really have the option for an off the shelf composite leaf. Although that would be cool. I just think it's a lot of weight to toss around on composite leafs. I know Ridetech has a kit with composite leafs for a square body truck, but they aren't the same size as the 99-06 trucks. And I believe the rate is only 250lbs or so. Which is right around where I am now.

I may try and test out the air bag route after talking with Belltech about doing some testing for them. We already have some prototype shocks on Claudia's Silverado from them that we've been testing.

I've already got some cad drawings for a rear suspension kit that would be almost completely bolt in. I'm going to try and push the leaf setup as far as i can before going that route.

I've got a few little spots to touch up on the hood this weekend going to see if I can get the truck wrapped next weekend. So we'll see. I'll keep you all posted.
Suede would be nice, even without gloves.
Haha, I hear yah, t must feel like a completely different truck.

I agree, even though I've seen one truck run pretty hard with composite leafs. It is a lot of weight and not much material too.

I'm going to be throwing some bags in mine as well, hopefully, it'll help. My ride sucks after my drop.
What's Bell Tech coming up with now? I'm not thrilled with there "sport" shocks.

Nice. Are you going 3 or 4 link if you do? I'm trying to figure out mine. Going to build some new solid links with heims and try to figure the 3rd link location. It's definitely tight down there.

Cool, any particular theme for the wrap or just a solid color?
Old 01-27-2018, 05:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Tig
Suede would be nice, even without gloves.
Haha, I hear yah, t must feel like a completely different truck.

I agree, even though I've seen one truck run pretty hard with composite leafs. It is a lot of weight and not much material too.

I'm going to be throwing some bags in mine as well, hopefully, it'll help. My ride sucks after my drop.
What's Bell Tech coming up with now? I'm not thrilled with there "sport" shocks.

Nice. Are you going 3 or 4 link if you do? I'm trying to figure out mine. Going to build some new solid links with heims and try to figure the 3rd link location. It's definitely tight down there.

Cool, any particular theme for the wrap or just a solid color?

It does feel a ton better with the quickener. After driving it yesterday and today I actually feel a little play in the plastic universal at the top of the column (in the tilt mechanism) I'm thinking about making a straight piece and getting rid of the pivot.

Belltech is coming out with a double adjustable replacement shock for the 99-07c Trucks. I believe march was the planned release date.

As for the rear suspension, I think 4 link, Although I have drawn up both 3 and 4 setups.

Going to be going a solid color. Actually doing that this weekend. Pictures to come soon.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:38 PM
TECH Resident

Yesterday afternoon my house was broken into and Claudia's 2006 Silverado was stolen along with a few misc. things in the house. Located in Ontario, CA, Seen heading west on the 10 Freeway Near West Covina.

License plates: DIACLOW

The truck is lowered with gray Level 8 wheels and Falken tires on it. Purple painted bowtie and cold air intake and purple daytime running lights. Belltech and Falken Tire Decals on the bed sides and a PCHRODS Windshield banner. Lady driven decal on the back window. Faded/cracking paint on the hood. Cobra Race Seats, Kooks Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust etc... Please contact me or your local police department with any information.

Any information is helpful...

Steve-o-08's Silverado Build Thread, Take Three.-enpueby.jpg

Steve-o-08's Silverado Build Thread, Take Three.-g3kfxrc.jpg

Steve-o-08's Silverado Build Thread, Take Three.-afrtdqa.jpg

Steve-o-08's Silverado Build Thread, Take Three.-hbu0jzo.jpg
Old 02-14-2018, 03:47 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Ah man!! That sucks!!

Quick Reply: Steve-o-08's Silverado Build Thread, Take Three.