PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

1990 Yota LSX Swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 Yota LSX Swap

I am working on doing a 4.8L swap into my truck. It is the first 3.0L of its style color and year to come off the assembly line according to its VIN but I feel original doesn't justify the lack of power.

It is a 2wd 5 speed. As of now I have the 4.8L and the t56 I will mount to it. The issue I am running into before I start the swap is NWOR keeps telling me I cannot swap this motor due to the steering linkage. Anyone have a link to a thread for a gen4 Toyota pickup ls/vortec swap?

Plan to put a built 8.8" in the rear due to bolt in. Also turbo the 4.8 once everything is buttoned up and running for a couple hundred miles. Looking for 800whp running e85 in a very light pickup.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeeeesssssss!

My first vehicle was a 1983 Toyota 2wd. Always wanted to swap an ls motor into that truck...........

Seems like the steering linkage may be an issue with the headers. May have to have a custom set made to wrap around the steering shaft somehow.

I have seen several ls swaps into 4 runners although I dont remember if they were 3rd or 4th gen. Do a quick google search or look on Pirate 4x4 and you may find some info.

Please post pics if you start on this project! I would love to follow your progress in case I get to do an ls swap in my old 83 in the future.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:40 PM

Sorry, I should have read over my post. It is a 5th gen. I heard it is a common issue among all the Toyota pickups. They said they tacos are not as bad but anything 5th gen or earlier is a PITA. I was told it had something to do with accessories. If I remember correctly it was the A/C but I cannot remember. It wont physically clear the linkage, not so much the exhaust. If that was the case I will pull the motor tomorrow, I have tranny c/member already made for the t56. Will go to pep boys and grab some piping and have my buddy bend and weld until his heart is content. He wants this to be done and try to use it as a magazine front cover if we do it the right way. Hopes and dreams on that though.

I also heard the t56 sits pretty far back but I already have the ext cab with the bucket seats so it shouldn't be an issue there. All I am concerned about is the motor fitment with ALL accessories. This will be a daily driver. If what I calculated is correct. I should be able to get 25+mpg on e85 if I have a descent tune and the motor I pulled is in ok health. Debating on upgrading heads but as of now it will be a valve springs, ring gap, cam, and intake build. Than turbo later on. My goal again is an easy 800whp which I hear is very possible. With the added weight the truck with me in it should not be more than 4000lbs and if I do the fiberglass I want I should drop a couple hundred pounds.

Also once I get rid of the stock leaf springs for a custom set, plus taking out rear seats and putting in some racing seats but again a roll cage at that point. I can see this truck weighing in at 3000-3200lbs easy. A lot of dead weight in these trucks and the seats are VERY VERY VERY heavy along with the stock suspension believe it or not. It is overkill but that is what makes a Toyota last
Old 07-19-2013, 10:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I say screw it and figure it out as you go...that's what I do
Old 07-20-2013, 12:56 AM

Problem with that is I might cost myself more than it is worth.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:32 PM

So for anyone interested in my build I am planning I just received all the answers! Easy way to do this is to remove the frame mounts for the v6 and weld on the ls1 frame mounts. This will solve all my issues of fitment. Wish me luck. I will take plenty of pictures!
Old 07-22-2013, 04:10 PM
FormerVendor

Nice!!!
Old 07-22-2013, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

I like to see different projects and this is one of them. I think it should prove to be fun once all done
Old 07-22-2013, 08:18 PM

I am hoping the same. Biggest issue I can see is traction at this point in time. The gentleman who I spoke with did this EXACT same swap in the EXACT same truck minus color. Same factory features and all, was very ironic. I am currently looking for a nice 4.8L daily 1500 for now while I do this project. I love the idea of a GM powered "Toy".

The only thing he did to make this work with easy as cut the frame mounts. I was shocked. He used the stock tranny cross-member, stock rear(upgraded to a 8.8" out of an explorer eventually), etc. It fit like it was factory. Wish I had pictures to post.

I love it when a swap/build "sounds" easy

The hardest thing will be wiring. He told me it is fairly easy with basic skills. I just hate wiring!
Old 07-22-2013, 08:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Possibly easiest Ls swap candidate? In for results!

Quick Reply: 1990 Yota LSX Swap