INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Comp XR269HR

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 10:52 PM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

I would say that 13's are in my future with the right weather without a doubt. I have a friend who went to NE dragway on a cool night with the same truck and ran a 14.047 at 97 MPH or something. He has a volant intake, corsa exhaust with a cutout, and a lingenfelter GT2-3 cam... no LT's. I would assume that this cam would get me at least a little more power than the lingenfelter, and the converter should help a lot too. He was also running on factory 20's.
Now I know every truck is different, and he was running on a really good night, I think the DA corrected as much as 3% negative
I also know that I am no expert in this department and I have gotten a lot of really good feedback from this thread.
As far as the difference between a 216-220 and a 216-224, is that significant?
How about the difference between the LQ4 that he is running and the LQ9 that is in my truck? I never thought it was anything too drastic as far as power output.

I don't want it to chop too much at idle, but I definitely want it to be heard. The video posted of this cam in the 5.3 sounded pretty perfect, but I know it will be less in the 6.0. Could I really just turn down the idle a little to make it lope more? I know too low and it will have some drivability issues, but what if it were set to 600 or so? That seems to be where the stock one hangs out.

If most of you agree that this cam will be too small, what do you suggest? I really don't want to go too loose on the stall.

Thanks again guys!
Rob

Last edited by Vortec350ss; 05-18-2010 at 11:02 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:16 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't think that the 216/220 and 216/224 cams would be significantly different...the 216/224 would have a longer torque curve that should come on maybe a few hundred RPM later, and make a little more horsepower since it has more lift, but they wouldn't be night and day different.

If your concerned that the cam's too small, I wouldn't go any bigger than a 220/224, considering your needs and goals. The smaller cam will have more torque sooner but run out of breath sooner, and you can get away with less converter. I'd go with at least a 2800 converter with a 220/224...the smaller cam will also yield better fuel economy, both from the cam design and smaller converter. In my opinion, a 216/220 216/224 cam isn't too small for your needs, but opinions vary.

BTW, I'm planning a 220/224 .575/.575 112 for my LQ9, my truck will get driven and I like to take it on long trips, but it won't necessarily be my daily any more...when gas money's tight or the weather is bad my truck will be sleeping in the driveway....I may even step up to a 224/230 cam depending on where my Circle-D 258mm multi-disc stalls behind my current 5.3, which will give me an indication of what it will be like behind the LQ9. If it's stalling at 3k behind the 5.3, I'll probably step up the cam, we'll see eventually....
Old 05-19-2010, 12:01 PM

See part of the reason that I like the sounds of this cam or the TFS cam is that I think it will perform similar to a "trucker" cam in the 5.3. People seem to be happy with that.
I wish I could find some dyno charts to try and get a feel for what this cam will be like.
Has anyone seen a dyno chart for a cam like this in an LQ9?
Old 05-19-2010, 12:04 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine was decent in my 5.3 but my 228R feels much better.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:13 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dont listen to all the haters and internet racers. i put a 216/220 56X 56x 114 cam in an 03 SSS with lts, efans, tune, and 3200 converter and it ran 13.3 in ok weather(2K da) and on heavy *** vho cast chrome 20s. amid 13 in decent air will be no problem in your truck if everything else is running right. I still would consider the circle D reworked converter they are advertising as a 3-3200, it drives like stock and hits pretty good from the videos Ive seen and peoples description that are running it.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:04 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vortec350ss
See part of the reason that I like the sounds of this cam or the TFS cam is that I think it will perform similar to a "trucker" cam in the 5.3. People seem to be happy with that.
I wish I could find some dyno charts to try and get a feel for what this cam will be like.
Has anyone seen a dyno chart for a cam like this in an LQ9?
In this thread:
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=458842

I'd definitely look into the Vinci Trucker cam (that's what the guy in the above thread has), or having Pat G spec you a cam (that's what I did).
Old 05-19-2010, 04:04 PM

1slow01Z71, were you happy with that cam in your truck? Sounds to me like you went with the Trick flow cam? If you could go back keeping a converter in the 26-2800 range would you want more cam, or did this do the trick? Was there any lope at idle?
I know my truck won't be quite as fast as an SS, but then again I also will be running on17's.
I think I might end up going with the Circle D 2600-2800, I tend to be very light on the throttle, so I'm hoping that this will act very much like a stock converter while under normal driving conditions.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:11 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No the cam was ground by Jones Cam Designs. He is a grinder I use since his lobes are pretty good, I an spec out the cam I want and he will grind it for me for much less than other places. I feel I can decide what cam I need better than most places out there and dont feel like paying the premium that they want to charge for their "services".

The cam runs great, here are some videos of it:

This is my buddy's truck, Ive just done the work on it. He posts as 03redsilss or something like that on here.

He wants a bigger cam now because he is willing to get a bit more radical with the truck(heads and intake) but for what he wanted it has delivered. I believe many people overcam these trucks and with his "small" cam he has put down some pretty damn good numbers for what he has done. With some tweaks that truck has a 12.8 in it in good weather.

You will find that the Circle D 3-3200 will drive like stock, afterall it is a reworked sotck converter. I promise you will not even notice it after a day or two and the hit off idle will be well worth the mileage you give up. If you drive normally it will barely stall any higher than stock. I plan on running that converter with my LQ4 and a 224/228 cam, but I will be running some ported heads I have on the shelf that should net me 11:1 CR and will help flash that converter a bit higher. I will have that converter in by the end of the summer so I can give you first hand results but from what people have told me it should run just like a TT3000 which I have driven and is a very tame converter. You dont know its aftermarket until you mash on the loud peddle.

As far as wanting more, the cam choice is going to be limited by your converter choice first and foremost. With a 2600 stall speed converter I would NOT go any bigger than this cam, you will give up a little right off the converter speed but it shouldnt be too bad. If you want a converter that is matched perfectly to that cam I would go with the 3-3200. If you go the 3-3200 route I wouldnt go any bigger than this cam unless you toss a set of heads on there to bump the CR up some so it has more TQ down low to flash the converter higher.

With the mods you listed and the addition of the 216/220 along with a 3-3200 I see no reason what so ever you cant run high 13s all day long in even crappy weather aside from dead of summer type stuff of course.

I dont have any idle videos unfortunately, but you can hear a little lope in his lt, no cat, cutout exhaust. His idle is set at stock(~600rpm), you can tell something is there but it wont grab your attention if youre not listening for it.

Many on this board disagree with my cam choices but I think you will find from those who have been around that the "conservative" cams put up the numbers and there is relatively little gain from going to a cam that is much more radical.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:47 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

That video doesn't look like a low 13 sec truck IMO. Has he done more things to it since then or what?
Old 05-19-2010, 08:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
No the cam was ground by Jones Cam Designs. He is a grinder I use since his lobes are pretty good, I an spec out the cam I want and he will grind it for me for much less than other places. I feel I can decide what cam I need better than most places out there and dont feel like paying the premium that they want to charge for their "services".

The cam runs great, here are some videos of it:

This is my buddy's truck, Ive just done the work on it. He posts as 03redsilss or something like that on here.

He wants a bigger cam now because he is willing to get a bit more radical with the truck(heads and intake) but for what he wanted it has delivered. I believe many people overcam these trucks and with his "small" cam he has put down some pretty damn good numbers for what he has done. With some tweaks that truck has a 12.8 in it in good weather.

You will find that the Circle D 3-3200 will drive like stock, afterall it is a reworked sotck converter. I promise you will not even notice it after a day or two and the hit off idle will be well worth the mileage you give up. If you drive normally it will barely stall any higher than stock. I plan on running that converter with my LQ4 and a 224/228 cam, but I will be running some ported heads I have on the shelf that should net me 11:1 CR and will help flash that converter a bit higher. I will have that converter in by the end of the summer so I can give you first hand results but from what people have told me it should run just like a TT3000 which I have driven and is a very tame converter. You dont know its aftermarket until you mash on the loud peddle.

As far as wanting more, the cam choice is going to be limited by your converter choice first and foremost. With a 2600 stall speed converter I would NOT go any bigger than this cam, you will give up a little right off the converter speed but it shouldnt be too bad. If you want a converter that is matched perfectly to that cam I would go with the 3-3200. If you go the 3-3200 route I wouldnt go any bigger than this cam unless you toss a set of heads on there to bump the CR up some so it has more TQ down low to flash the converter higher.

With the mods you listed and the addition of the 216/220 along with a 3-3200 I see no reason what so ever you cant run high 13s all day long in even crappy weather aside from dead of summer type stuff of course.

I dont have any idle videos unfortunately, but you can hear a little lope in his lt, no cat, cutout exhaust. His idle is set at stock(~600rpm), you can tell something is there but it wont grab your attention if youre not listening for it.

Many on this board disagree with my cam choices but I think you will find from those who have been around that the "conservative" cams put up the numbers and there is relatively little gain from going to a cam that is much more radical.
Great post. Proof that you can go fast with a conservative cam. And just think...take off those 20s and run the truck in perfect weather and you're easily in the 12s. For what the OP is outlining in the original post, I'll stick with what I said earlier, something in the 210-220 range on intake and exhaust.

Quick Reply: Comp XR269HR