Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Want to Replace Chrome with Black, Any Suggestions??

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to Replace Chrome with Black, Any Suggestions??

Purchased new 2011 black Silverado 6.2 and would like to replace chrome mirror caps, door handles, bodyside moldings and front bumper with black parts. Dealer said they could order new primed parts, paint them and install for $1650 with trade of my take-offs. Any suggestions or opinions if this is a good deal or ways to cut my costs would be greatly appreciated. The truck already has the black painted grill with chrome honeycomb insert so I'm good there.

BTW, I'm very happy with the 6.2's torque!
Old 05-22-2011, 04:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO, Way too much. I bought mine from eBay. Paid 100 for a set of 4 handles, and like 75 for the caps. I would keep checking eBay and craigslist. Then just sell your chrome take offs on cl or eBay to recoop some money. As for installing them, it's fairly easy and there is a write-up that helps.

I would powder coated the front bumper, probably cheaper too. Installation is fairly simple too. And I don't know about the moldings since mine came black already
Old 05-23-2011, 06:23 PM
Launching!

Dude, that dealer is tryin to rip you a new one. Thats about $1400 too much. I will buy your chrome pieces(not all, I have some).Post up some pics of what you have. Im lookin for the chrome tail gate handle and bezzel w/o the lock but i want actual parts, not covers. The mirror caps I would have to see.

Ebay is where I bought my handles,and chrome hood loovers, I have less than $150 in them. just keep lookin, theres always someone wanting to sell.

BTW, i have the black textured handles that could be sanded and painted if your interested.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by javzh
IMO, Way too much. I bought mine from eBay. Paid 100 for a set of 4 handles, and like 75 for the caps. I would keep checking eBay and craigslist. Then just sell your chrome take offs on cl or eBay to recoop some money. As for installing them, it's fairly easy and there is a write-up that helps.

I would powder coated the front bumper, probably cheaper too. Installation is fairly simple too. And I don't know about the moldings since mine came black already
I found some primered handles for about $100 at: http://www.discountbodyparts.com/cat...inish-Primered

Most likely I will paint the bumper to match my painted grill and try to locate the lower fascia from Z71 appearance package and paint it black as well. I think the consistancy in black color is what gives it "stealth" appeal, IMHO. I'm sure I'll either paint the chrome mirror caps or buy new ones from GM direct and paint them.

Originally Posted by Bow-Tie-Beast
Dude, that dealer is tryin to rip you a new one. Thats about $1400 too much. I will buy your chrome pieces(not all, I have some).Post up some pics of what you have. Im lookin for the chrome tail gate handle and bezzel w/o the lock but i want actual parts, not covers. The mirror caps I would have to see.

Ebay is where I bought my handles,and chrome hood loovers, I have less than $150 in them. just keep lookin, theres always someone wanting to sell.

BTW, i have the black textured handles that could be sanded and painted if your interested.
Yes definetely, the prices quoted by the dealer are too high and I'll find the pieces I need on the internet. I don't have chrome tailgate hardware, mine is black texture with lock and backup camera. I would like for that to be painted as well. Today I saw a Silverado with no emblems or chrome on rear tailgate or bumper, looked very cool. I'll just continue to do my homework.....Thanks Gentlemen
Old 05-23-2011, 11:25 PM
TECH Regular

fyi the part number for the lower fascia from the z71 appearance package is Part# 20762570. it is smooth and ready to prime and paint. i still have mine just sitting waiting to get painted. my truck has no chrome on it anymore

here is jb1 truck for reference. he bought the same part.
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=460009
Old 05-23-2011, 11:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

fyi the part number for the lower fascia from the z71 appearance package is Part# 20762570. it is smooth and ready to prime and paint. i still have mine just sitting waiting to get painted. my truck has no chrome on it anymore

here is jb1 truck for reference. he bought the same part.
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=460009
You just made my night. How much did the piece cost?
Old 05-23-2011, 11:41 PM
TECH Regular

bought it of gmpartsdirect for a bit under 170 shipped at the end of last year
might have gone up a few bucks, you can always shop around, maybe find a better deal.

Trending Topics

Old 05-24-2011, 12:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

bought it of gmpartsdirect for a bit under 170 shipped at the end of last year
might have gone up a few bucks, you can always shop around, maybe find a better deal.
gmpartsdirect is where I'm going....really looking forward to get this project in motion.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:19 PM
Teching In

Heres my contribution, I also think the price is way to high. First I chromed the truck out, then realized it looked tacky so went all black. I payed 100.00 for handles with 50.00 to paint. 100.00 for mirror caps. painted wiper cowl to match truck 75.00.Powdercoated front and rear bumpers and grille for 150.00. cut my headlights open and colormatched and debadged the whole truck. Also, if you have the chrome strip on molding just demold too.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Darrel from Meraux
Heres my contribution, I also think the price is way to high. First I chromed the truck out, then realized it looked tacky so went all black. I payed 100.00 for handles with 50.00 to paint. 100.00 for mirror caps. painted wiper cowl to match truck 75.00.Powdercoated front and rear bumpers and grille for 150.00. cut my headlights open and colormatched and debadged the whole truck. Also, if you have the chrome strip on molding just demold too.

First off, your truck is FVCKING SICK!

anyways, I plan to wrap all my chrome, like that shitty looking stuff on the rear bumper, in vinyl. Ill let you know how it goes soon lol

Quick Reply: Want to Replace Chrome with Black, Any Suggestions??