GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Ordered Whipple

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 07:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Allgonoshow
Should take 5-6 hours .
If you don't have time send it to me and I'll atleast break it in for you.
Haha! I'll let you know ;-)

BTW when they say this kit is complete, they aren't kidding!
Old 03-05-2011, 11:04 AM
Launching!

pics of kit?
Old 03-05-2011, 12:38 PM
Staging Lane

I was just woundering what you guys think of the Lysholm kit #2310100 and how it compares to the whipple kit? I have a 2009 sierra 4x4 crewcab E85 compatable and have been thinking of going with this kit. Price wise it seems to be about the same as whipple but I see that it comes with the injectors aswell as a handheld programer so there shouldnt be any worry of having to get someone to tune the truck.
One other thing I would like to know is how supercharging is affecting fuel mileage and is there anything else that will be needed to be done over and above what comes with the kit?
Old 03-05-2011, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blownlt1bird
I was just woundering what you guys think of the Lysholm kit #2310100 and how it compares to the whipple kit? I have a 2009 sierra 4x4 crewcab E85 compatable and have been thinking of going with this kit. Price wise it seems to be about the same as whipple but I see that it comes with the injectors aswell as a handheld programer so there shouldnt be any worry of having to get someone to tune the truck.
One other thing I would like to know is how supercharging is affecting fuel mileage and is there anything else that will be needed to be done over and above what comes with the kit?
Whipple comes with a handheld programmer as well. Shouldn't need injectors with an E85 truck as the stock injectors are large enough. Whipple gives injectors for non-flex fuel trucks, but you use the stock ones if you are flex fuel.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by j_ahlheim
pics of kit?
I will take some today or tomorrow and post them up.

Bdubb, I know you didn't install it yourself but I have a few questions. Though I will probably just ask Whipple, the directions are really compete in the beginning but when it gets to the installation of the heat exchanger, it gets very vague. Most of it I will figure out no problem, but nowhere does it say how much coolant/water mix you should put in the system. Also, there is no connection diagram for the hoses. From my Cobalt SS/SC days, I can figure out what goes where but it still would have been nice for that info to be included.

EDIT: LOL, nevermind, I found the problem. The installation manual is 61 pages long but mine ends at page 48!

Last edited by Boober; 03-05-2011 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the electronic version of the manual if needed. The heat exchangers is simple to install, but might be a bit tricky without a reference. One thing it does not mention is to relocate your ambient air sensors to in front of the exchanger to keep your rear view mirror with accurate readings.

Let me know if you need any help with the manual. I should be able to find it and e-mail it across if needed.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bdubb
I have the electronic version of the manual if needed. The heat exchangers is simple to install, but might be a bit tricky without a reference. One thing it does not mention is to relocate your ambient air sensors to in front of the exchanger to keep your rear view mirror with accurate readings.

Let me know if you need any help with the manual. I should be able to find it and e-mail it across if needed.
That would be great! I'll PM you my e-mail addy.

Thanks for the tip on the air sensor.

Here is a little teaser pic for those who asked. I will be taking more detailed pictures of the individual parts, but I don't think I will be doing an install write-up like I usually do, the installation manual is pretty detailed (at least the part that I have).
Old 03-06-2011, 12:40 PM
Man Motor club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm jealous; nice pic
Old 03-15-2011, 07:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Have a chance to install it yet?
Old 05-15-2011, 08:25 PM
On The Tree

Well.....my deepest appologies to those who have been wondering what the heck happened to my project. About 5 days after I got the kit, I entered the busiest work season I have ever had. I was home for about 2 days from March 10th through May 5th. I had almost forgotten that I even bought it!

I finally took a few days and tackled the install. There were several "gotcha's" that were not included in the (pretty complete) installation manual from Whipple. They changed a few things and have not updated the manual. One significant thing being that they no longer include a new grille support bracket. You need to cut your existing bracket to get the H/E to fit behind it. It wasn't really a big deal. The biggest PITA was with the manifold bolts for the supercharger. There are two (hex head) bolts under the right side of the supercharger that are under the intake pipe from the throttle body. They are positioned just so, that there really is no easy way to tighten them. I must have spent 3 hours tightening just one of them! forget torquing them to 106 in./lb's! Also, there is a stupid metal bracket on the left rear cylinder head which seems to serve no other purpose but to make a person go insane when trying to fit a supercharger. I could not understand why I could not get the unit in place on the engine until I saw that my left side injector rail was tipped up in the back. I guess it must be a part that was installed for 2010's because there is no mention of it in the manual. I'm beginning think that I might be the first 2010 Sierra Denali owner to attempt installing one of their kits.

I wish I could say that it is running and I could gush about all of the new tire shredding power, but I can't. The whole system is installed and ready to go, but I can't get the programmer to program the new tune into my truck! I have contacted Whipple and they are aware that I have a problem, but they have not yet been able to provide a solution. I contacted them on Saturday so I hope that they can help me tomorrow (Monday). It is REALLY frustrating having everything ready an being unable to start it up. I need to know if everything was installed correctly!! I can confirm that the H/E pump set up is working because I can hear it running and the coolant gurgling when I have the ignition on.

I hope to be back on tomorrow to report that the truck is running.

Quick Reply: Ordered Whipple