Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Ordered Whipple

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 01:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ordered Whipple

Hi all, I'm new to the forum. I just picked up a 2010 Sierra Denali and, well, I guess I'm jumping feet first into the mods. I am really intreaged by the new Whipple kit and, since not many people are running it right now, I thought I would join the forums and post some updates as the project progresses. If anyone is running the new kit, please chime in with your thoughts, impressions, etc... I will be installing this kit myself and it would be great to hear any tips/tricks for the install.

Rich
Old 02-13-2011, 01:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Welcome, I wanted to get this kit but ended up getting a procharger.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:20 PM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Welcome to the site, someone is running a whipple on a NNBS truck but I cant remember who. I am thinking it was like bdubb or something. Non the less keep us updated with your progress.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:47 PM
Staging Lane

I'm very interested in your results! I have a 2011 Sierra Denali I just got, and I'm looking at getting a roots style blower for it.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

haven't heard from him in awhile

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=470819
Old 02-13-2011, 02:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Allgonoshow
Thanks for the link. Looks like the pics are unavailable. I too am going to be rather conservative. I hope to get stock dyno numbers before installing the kit, but with a 5 month old, I will be lucky to find time to do the install itself. It sounds like it should be a smooth install. We shall see. I will lost pics when I finally get it.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a hunch that you'll be happy with the kit.

The photos from that link went away as I reordered some photo albums on that account and it broke the photo links. Installing the kit yourself should not be a problem at all and since you are in a 2010 it should be even easier than mine since you have flex fuel and won't need the MSD fuel pump booster or different injectors.

Unfortunately I haven't had a whole lot of time to play with my truck after the kit install. I've been out of the country on business for 6 weeks but likely will be home shortly and the truck will be back at the shop to finish out the pulley swap.

With 1-7/8" headers on the 6.2L and the stock Whipple 2.3L pulley I was seeing right at 6 PSI and the tune they provided worked well, but had a lot left in it. With that in mind I went about having mine custom tuned and didn't have a chance to get all the bugs worked out of the tune before I started traveling again. So, with some rough tunning I ended up running around 13.3's in the 1/4 with a full weight AWD with 22" wheels and not getting in a good solid pass due to the custom tune having gremlins.

Since then I went to the Trick intercooler tank, got a pulley that should have me roughly around 8 PSI and a few other items. Didn't get the chance to finish on the pulley swap and get the right injectors that would work for the extra boost so I'll be taking care of that first thing this upcoming week and hope to have everything finished up and properly tuned by this upcoming weekend.

Having an AWD with this long of a wheelbase makes the custom tuning a PITA and I would love to see your before and after dyno results if you have a 2WD as I have to drive a few states to find a dyno I can fit on from the research I have done.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanx for the update.
Keep us posted on your next round of improvements.
That thing has got to get in the 12's for sure.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:03 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the update bdubb! You are blazing a trail for me! I also have AWD so it should be fun trying to dyno. There are a few options near me plus I know a few folks who have a dynapack set up in SE Michigan. I am going to leave everything else stock for now and see what we get. I have HP Tuners so I may also choose a custom tune.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Boober
Thanks for the update bdubb! You are blazing a trail for me! I also have AWD so it should be fun trying to dyno. There are a few options near me plus I know a few folks who have a dynapack set up in SE Michigan. I am going to leave everything else stock for now and see what we get. I have HP Tuners so I may also choose a custom tune.
On the tune, we started with the provided Whipple tune and then went in and started tweaking everything as needed. It runs fine at WOT 99% of the time, but at part throttle when it starts to see load I have an issue. It's just a matter of spending more time with the tune though.

We should get things squared away with it over this weekend and we will be going to a 2 bar tune using the GM Cobast sensor so we'll be redoing the tune a great deal anyways. I hope to have some better results next time I can post up about it but I'm only home for 2 weeks so not sure I'll have another chance to pass by the 1/4 mile track or not.

Quick Reply: Ordered Whipple