TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Gauge or ECM failure i bet,just like the feller thats mentioned it already
Old 09-09-2011, 08:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzo 6.0
Gauge or ECM failure i bet,just like the feller thats mentioned it already
You must not have read the part that says the engine is out of the truck and disassembled and the bearings are ruined. The GM mechanic says he can find no apparent reason for failure and isnt optimistic about a rebuild being successful.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:30 PM
TECH Veteran

The way I read it was bearing scared not ruined but no reason found for showing no oil pressure.So the bearings were so far gone is why the no oil pressure?
Hell I may have read into it all wrong

He did or didnt check the bearing while replacing the oil pump?
Old 09-09-2011, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rjwz28
AFM and DOD are one and the same. Just two different terms for cylinder deactivation.
D'oh! I was reading AFM and thinking of Flex Fuel. Never mind ....

Old 09-09-2011, 08:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

The way I read it was bearing scared not ruined but no reason found for showing no oil pressure.So the bearings were so far gone is why the no oil pressure?
Hell I may have read into it all wrong

He did or didnt check the bearing while replacing the oil pump?
He did not check bearings before doing the first oil pump replacement. After he replaced the oil pump and still had no pressure, the engine was disassembled. He said the bearings were not bad enough to cause the pressure loss although they were scarred up bad enough to warrant replacement. His thoughts were leaning toward an internal casting flaw in the block itself.....He was not optimistic about a rebuild curing the problem but the GM rep was pushing the rebuild.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Normally the first thing to do is put on a manual gauge.Gather that wasnt done? Did the engine ever make starving lifter noise when you first seen the no pressure? Did you notice any unusual engine noise?
Old 09-09-2011, 09:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Normally the first thing to do is put on a manual gauge.Gather that wasnt done? Did the engine ever make starving lifter noise when you first seen the no pressure? Did you notice any unusual engine noise?
Im unsure about the use of a manual guage or not. I personally never put one on there. The engine never made a single unusual noise either in the valvetrain area or the lower end. It never smoked, lost power or any gave any kind of indication that there was an actual loss of oil pressure. The current oil appeared just like it when I poured it out of the bottle at my first oil change.
.....Now on another note, when I changed the oil for the first time @ around 3.5k miles it was super black and really thick. Ive still got that oil in my drain pan and Ive got a notion to have it tested if it hasnt been too contaminated.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may want to visit TXDOT website and go to the Lemon Law section. GM will follow that to a tee. The best advise I can give is to keep as many notes by date, time and who you talked to. This is very important.
But by Texas law GM has a full 4 attempts to fix this problem and you will have to be out of your vehicle for a few weeks before the law will ever take effect.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Visit your local Caterpillar dealer (Holt Equipment in your area) Purchase a oil sample kit (15 bucks) turn in the oil sample (they will send it to their lab in San Antonio) and in 2 to 3 days they will send you a report of the condition and contents of the oil. But be informed that the oil sampling industry is geared more toward preventative maintenance than failure analysis. I turned in an oil sample on all three occasions and GM could have cared less. But I would get that oil out of the drain pan and into a clean sealed container.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: engine failure on 2011 silverado at 6k miles