Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

engine failure on 2011 silverado at 6k miles

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 05:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine failure on 2011 silverado at 6k miles

Just as the title states, my 2011 silverado with 6k miles lost oil pressure on Labor Day. I shut the engine down immediately after it threw an alarm on my information center. GM Roadside came and picked it up and delivered to dealership. The service desk said it needed an oil pump. Oil pump was replaced and there was still no oil pressure. Now its getting a replacement engine. I changed the engine oil at 3k miles with a wix filter and mobil1 5w30There was not even a sign of metal on my magnetic plug. Here are my questions...
Will the replacement engine be new? Service told me yes. A mechanic told me no.

Would it be logical to tell them I want a new pickup through the GM buyback? I dont really like the idea of having a new pickup that has been diassembled at the beginning of its life.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks, in most cases they are remaned engines(re-manufactured) but being so new I suppose its possible to be a brand new engine. Not sure on how long your warranty is, I'm assuming its 100k miles on powertrain so just look at it as you just added 6k miles to your warrant lol. I wouldn't expect them to just be willing to do a buy back but you never know lol. Sorry to hear that this happened on such a new truck...
Old 09-08-2011, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow that really would suck, especially on such a brand new rig. Personally, I guess I would take the new or reman replacement engine if they would guarantee that it's a 2011 motor with whatever improvements and upgrades the engines got for 2011, and still give it the "as new" warranty.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah, its got a 100k warranty. It had no mods done to it. Im just afraid it may give me problems on down the line. The money isnt an issue because its covered by warranty but the inconvenience sucks terrible. Does anyone have any thoughts on what could have caused the failure? Its too new to trade in because Id have to eat the depreciation from driving it off the lot new. Im pretty down on the truck right now. I bought this one new so Id have something left after payoff.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would check into it and see what engine you are getting. I would want a new engine. As long as you have a good tech doing the work it will be fine.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

scooter;
the problem is...Im 200 miles from the dealership where the truck was taken. I was on a Labor Day vacation. I wont be around to know what they install and I have no idea how competent the tech staff is at the dealership. Things like that are what have me on edge.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your engine will be brand new and the truck will be fine. It sounds like a one in a million freak failure and I wouldn't let it worry you. Look at it as a blessing, better now than after the warranty had expired or you had modded the warranty down the toilet like so many of us do.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Robert91RS
Your engine will be brand new and the truck will be fine. It sounds like a one in a million freak failure and I wouldn't let it worry you. Look at it as a blessing, better now than after the warranty had expired or you had modded the warranty down the toilet like so many of us do.
I like the optimism. I just wish I'd bought that identical truck next to it......Id bet its still rolling.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:01 PM
TECH Regular

Good luck with the buyback program. I worked at a GM dealership and believe me they'll do anything to not honor that. Mind you the guy I worked for was scum of the earth, but still how many dealership owners aren't?
Old 09-08-2011, 07:29 PM
Man Motor club

Damn. I hope that doesn't happen to me; I technically voided my warranty

Quick Reply: engine failure on 2011 silverado at 6k miles