Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Belltech Flip Kit & 2-Piece Driveshaft

Old 09-05-2013, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Belltech Flip Kit & 2-Piece Driveshaft

a package came from suspension source (minus the factory shackles, I already had those)
Name:  20130904_171042-kdcollage_zpscd2b98a9.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  99.9 KB

I'm not to concerned about install, i'm gonna try it the DJM method of unbolting the parking brake line bracket and sliding the axle towards the passenger side to avoid gas tank dropping.

what i'm curious about, this kit comes with a transmission mount spacer to help eliminate vibrations etc HOWEVER I have a 2-piece shaft, so raising the trans really doesnt do me any good, I'm thinking I should run it...and if I find I have any issues raise the center bearing instead.

and another thing I was curious about, has anyone had contact issues with the exhaust and axle? its a magnaflow y-pipe back and it looks like it has tons of clearance but just thought i'd ask!
Old 09-06-2013, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

so I ended up having to undo the driveshaft in order to sneak it far enough to the passenger side to slip the leaf spring under.
I didnt get it all done tonight sadly, I had everything snugged and pulled it onto the drive on hoist and the service advisor didnt wanna stay any longer...even though I was 10 minutes away from being done and had the sockets and torque wrench ready to go!
I didnt bother with the bump stops, theres still like 5 inches till the frame so I'll run it and see how it goes.
for that transmission spacer I didnt bother either cause my front shaft didnt change at all. I didnt measure my rear shaft but its got an ever so slight downward angle so I'm thinking I wont have any issues there
Old 09-07-2013, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

got it all done.
I checked the alignment and I am a little disappointed with the quality of the belltech spindles.
little background info, having access to an aligner, I check and adjust my alignment every 6 months. after the drop struts I usually only had to tweak the toe maybe 0.01*
with the belltech spindles my toe was out 1.20* on RF and 0.65* on LF....that's ridiculous. and my camber is now a whole degree more negative, which makes sense if you think about the fact the wheel center point is now a whole 2 inches further up that imaginary camber line. but wouldn't you think belltech would realise that and change the angle of the bearing mounting surface?
I ran out of adjustment on the accentrics so the closest I could get my camber was -1.0* and the caster Im happy with at 4.4* LF and 4.5*RF (which is right at the end of the positive spec but I prefer higher caster anyways) so hopefully that negative degree doesn't burn the tires, but the 2* bushings for the upper control arm will definitely be needed
Old 09-07-2013, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same problem with the McGra spindles. I got the 2 degree bushing too. Still need to install. But my truck on hold until my feet get better surgery.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the world of the aftermarket. They dont have the same quality control standards as the factories. I am running belltech spindles and belltech lowering struts for a total drop of 3". My alignment came out good(I also have acess to a alignment machine). I was able to get my truck around 0* camber. I think alot of it has to due with the amount of wear and tear on the upper ball joints/bushings. I installed the same kit on a friends truck, can only get to 1* of camber on his truck. The difference between the 2 trucks is about 60k miles. Just a thought.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Byrdman11
I have the same problem with the McGra spindles. I got the 2 degree bushing too. Still need to install. But my truck on hold until my feet get better surgery.
the bushing will definitely be more then enough to bring mine back into spec, so I'm not to panicked about it right now. hopefully you get the surgery soon and get back to spending some time with the truck!

Originally Posted by myth
Welcome to the world of the aftermarket. They dont have the same quality control standards as the factories. I am running belltech spindles and belltech lowering struts for a total drop of 3". My alignment came out good(I also have acess to a alignment machine). I was able to get my truck around 0* camber. I think alot of it has to due with the amount of wear and tear on the upper ball joints/bushings. I installed the same kit on a friends truck, can only get to 1* of camber on his truck. The difference between the 2 trucks is about 60k miles. Just a thought.
ya I can definitely see the quality control on the toe! My truck has 60,000KM on it or I guess that'd be...40,000 miles? and everything was still quite tight, no bushing wear that was visible. once I get those bushings in it'll be back to 0* camber easily. back a few years ago, I had an s10 that I put belltech 2" drop spindles on and my alignment didnt change at all, maybe a minor twist on the toe but I could've just thrown them on and driven it. so they must've cared more before
Old 09-16-2013, 05:21 PM
On The Tree

Let me know if you have bump steer from the spindles. I changed mine at the same time as swapping to a 22" wheel/tire, and I'm not too sure if it's the spindles that are the problem or the HEAVY wheel/tire combo.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ryan Mills
Let me know if you have bump steer from the spindles. I changed mine at the same time as swapping to a 22" wheel/tire, and I'm not too sure if it's the spindles that are the problem or the HEAVY wheel/tire combo.
no bump steer at all for me, i've done about 350 miles so far
hows the bushings on your steering rack? usually bump steer is caused by suspension parts being uneven, or if you have a major camber spread