Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Supercharger advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 01:31 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But what kind of power are you guys running and how much are you thrashing on your truck? Other than the bolt on's, tune and whichever supercharger I go with, that's it. The way it sounds in here my 60 should be dead already since I added power and torque, that its so week to handle anything extra yet I have had zero issues.

Originally Posted by someotherguy
If you aren't going for significant gains over stock then a "built" 4L60E might make it, might not. It's a gamble, with the factors mostly being how well it gets built and how much power you're making, how you drive it...along with just pure luck, the part that you have no control over.

Richard
That's the point, I will not be building huge power, taking it to the track, street racing daily or weekend street racing etc. Just a little boost.

I appreciate all the feedback, looks like two guys here have actually toasted their trans and I have no idea how you drive or how often. If I can find a shop that will confidently build me a 60e with a warranty then I will pull the trigger, if not then the truck will remain as is. I was hoping one of the transmission vendor's here would pipe in on this, FLT or PBT?
Old 01-04-2018, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 127 Likes on 107 Posts

You don't have to believe the 4L60E is weak, or that it is difficult to build one to reliably stand up to power increases. People are trying to advise you correctly, but it's up to you to take that advice...or spend your money building something that is just gonna break anyway.

Richard
Old 01-06-2018, 11:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by thedipstick
But what kind of power are you guys running and how much are you thrashing on your truck? Other than the bolt on's, tune and whichever supercharger I go with, that's it. The way it sounds in here my 60 should be dead already since I added power and torque, that its so week to handle anything extra yet I have had zero issues.

That's the point, I will not be building huge power, taking it to the track, street racing daily or weekend street racing etc. Just a little boost.

I appreciate all the feedback, looks like two guys here have actually toasted their trans and I have no idea how you drive or how often. If I can find a shop that will confidently build me a 60e with a warranty then I will pull the trigger, if not then the truck will remain as is. I was hoping one of the transmission vendor's here would pipe in on this, FLT or PBT?
there are way more than two people on this site that blew up 4l60 transmissions. some blow them up with basic mods like a cam and bolt ons. I've blown up two myself. i don't beat on my truck at all, just spirited driving. we are all just trying to warn you of the inevitable
Old 01-07-2018, 12:05 AM
makes children cry

Received 399 Likes on 326 Posts

we might need to start with asking you to decide how you want the truck to feel/drive (considering you sound new to forced induction). not all boost feels or behaves the same, so here's a super-basic rundown:
a positive displacement kit (Manguson, Whipple, Roush, etc) will provide torque-on-demand at any RPM, and the boost/power essentially corresponds to how hard you're pushing the skinny pedal.
a turbo has to spin up as exhaust gases move faster, then it provides a set boost level until you let off. you'll feel it ramp up in the mid RPMs and then be a monster for the top half of your RPM range.
a centrifugal blower (Vortec, Procharger, Torqstorm, etc) is kind of a mix between the two: it's the compressor side of a turbo spun by the serpentine belt instead of the exhaust, so it drives like stock at low RPMs & builds up more boost pressure the faster it spins, so it gets more powerful the more you rev it.

positive displacement types are good for heavier vehicles that need some extra oomph to get moving as well as having a consistent, predictable power feel from any throttle position. if you pull a trailer or anything, this is especially beneficial, too.
turbos and centris are better for when you're spending most of your toying-around time in the top half of your tachometer because they need RPMs to really wake up. if you plan on drag racing, these're typically better-suited for you because they just keep pulling on the top end.

when you decide how you want the truck to feel, that'll help steer you toward a particular forced induction kit.

I was looking for a Magnuson but they are no longer sold from the manufacture and very few web sites list it available, when I call they seem sketchy or no longer have one in stock. Gotta love when you call a company and a guy answers his cell phone and just says "hello".
GM stopped using cathedral-port heads a long time ago, and in the past few years, the aftermarket stopped (or at least slowed way down) developing stuff for them, too.

i can vouch for the TVS: i've had mine for 6.5yrs & 35kmi with nothing but smiles. there's a truck TVS1900 kit for sale on the site right now & should be more than plenty for your goals (which sound like 6-9psi of boost).

So doing some digging I see I will have to buy a new transmission crossmember, a new torque converter, a set of transmission lines, a modified or swap harness, and a modified driveshaft with a larger yoke and crossover U-joint to get the 80 swapped in. This is getting way up there in cost for 150 hp with a $1800 to $2300 performance tranny alone. Will be looking into beefing up the 60 or leaving the truck as is.
unfortunately, the automatics are plagued with problems after adding any power. an old adage says " ya' gotta pay to play", and it's true - there're always underlying costs to pretty much any significant power upgrade because the truck is an entire system: you strengthen one part without making sure everything else can handle it, then the other parts will eventually fail.
i can't offer much specific advice here since i've only owned 1 automatic, and that was an old Explorer and more than a decade ago.

Originally Posted by darkirish63
Originally Posted by Torqstorm
We are still working out a few details. Hopefully very soon
I am sooooooo putting one on the beast when the new kits are out
nothing against Torqstorm, i promise... i'm just playing devil's advocate here, but when i was buying my blower, i played the "working out a couple details" game for the better part of a year with another company before just buying a similar kit that was ready.

Originally Posted by terravast4
there are way more than two people on this site that blew up 4l60 transmissions. some blow them up with basic mods like a cam and bolt ons. I've blown up two myself. i don't beat on my truck at all, just spirited driving. we are all just trying to warn you of the inevitable
sometimes it's just a shock to hear something discouraging when you weren't expecting it.

Last edited by _zebra; 01-07-2018 at 12:11 AM.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

I love blowers. I live for them. I’ve had blown cars and trucks. The post above mine is excellent for explaining the positives of each.

However, STOCK trucks have **** the 4L60. My Tahoe was on its second trans when I got it at 126k, it was a police unit so we know it wasn’t played with nicely, but since it was a state owned vehicle, we also know it was bone *** stock.

Spend money how and where you want, but I promise you the 4L60 is a time bomb of failure at any power level.
Old 01-08-2018, 06:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Call Superchargers online. I just picked one up last year form them for my 2002 2500hd. They can put a kit together for your truck, the only thing mine was missing was the throttle bracket and tune. Atomic has been tuning mine with a hptuner pro. He's great to work with. He bracket took about 15 minutes to make. There's a tvs 1900 for sale in the classified that should work well for your truck and has bigger injectors in it. I dropped down to a 3" pulley and outgrew my injectors right off the bat.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by _zebra
nothing against Torqstorm, i promise... i'm just playing devil's advocate here, but when i was buying my blower, i played the "working out a couple details" game for the better part of a year with another company before just buying a similar kit that was ready.
Understood & appreciated but I've got a few other adds (Willwoods on the front) to make before I add the blower so I have a little time to wait - in no hurry at this point.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 127 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by arthursc2
However, STOCK trucks have **** the 4L60.
Stock TBI V6 trucks have **** the 4L60E.

Richard
Old 01-08-2018, 10:10 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Flt is what I have, it started out as a lvl 4 and is now a mix of 5-6 I call it the lvl 5.5 - it still works but it's limited- doesnt like high rpm shifts- valvebody mod was done to 2-3 shift (have to run manual 3 to make work)
My truck is a 5.3 cammed-
with a magnacharger mp122 8psi -
I'll give you a idea of power I'm running - I'll attach graph
417whp401 tq

Last edited by trxmxzx; 01-08-2018 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:11 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Quick Reply: Supercharger advice