Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Supercharger advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 10:33 AM
Former Vendor

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by _zebra
nothing against Torqstorm, i promise... i'm just playing devil's advocate here, but when i was buying my blower, i played the "working out a couple details" game for the better part of a year with another company before just buying a similar kit that was ready.

sometimes it's just a shock to hear something discouraging when you weren't expecting it.
I think you confused "working out the details" with "working out bugs". There is alot that goes into getting things together for production, pricing, packaging, etc. That is what I was referring to.

Torqstorm
Old 01-08-2018, 07:55 PM
makes children cry

Received 399 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Torqstorm
I think you confused "working out the details" with "working out bugs". There is alot that goes into getting things together for production, pricing, packaging, etc. That is what I was referring to.

Torqstorm
yeah, man. like i said - it wasn't a jab at you specifically. my advice was meant to encourage buyers to at least query what the hold-ups are and see if there's actually a feasible plan in place to bring something to market by a designated time.
if the company can't explain that (which it sounds like you can) or has vague answers at best, then it might be time to look elsewhere. i was pretty dead-set on having a Kenne Bell kit, but a wishy-washy attitude, nondescript plan, and delay after delay made me just buy a TVS, and i've been super-happy with it ever since.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Just saw this and I'm so sorry to go against the grain but Ive never had a 4l60 fail lol or 4l80 or 6l80 or Allison 6 spd. My 07 4wd turbo truck (mid 7's and beat the **** out of it daily) was a built 4l60 and had Raysbestos clutches and some other good stuff from a local really good tranny guy and PI conv. Other trucks have only been stockers running low to high 9's or very low 10's in the 1/8th. Ive been very lucky I'm sure...beats me!
Old 01-11-2018, 10:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by ZO6Ted
Just saw this and I'm so sorry to go against the grain but Ive never had a 4l60 fail lol or 4l80 or 6l80 or Allison 6 spd. My 07 4wd turbo truck (mid 7's and beat the **** out of it daily) was a built 4l60 and had Raysbestos clutches and some other good stuff from a local really good tranny guy and PI conv. Other trucks have only been stockers running low to high 9's or very low 10's in the 1/8th. Ive been very lucky I'm sure...beats me!
I'm in for very lucky :>)
Old 01-11-2018, 03:44 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZO6Ted
Thanks for the other replies, appreciate it. Ted, funny thing is you aren't the first one to have "good luck", I have had just as many people message me about staying with the 4l60e I have or getting one built and running it depending on how many more power adders I will be doing. Each one of them said they didn't want to post here because everyone would start arguing, typical forum crap. Sad people can't just have a discussion. I think for my situation my 60 would be fine, I've talked to a few tranny shops and they agree, but I will still have one built any way (with warranty) and set this one on the shelf for back up. If it was a daily and I was lead footed, towing maybe then yes I would probably go the extra mile with the 80 swap. I'm going to hunt for a new magnacharger, I have issues buying used usually.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 127 Likes on 107 Posts

If you mean people giving you advice = arguing, then what you really don't want are opinions that differ from yours. That's sad. Best of luck to you

Richard
Old 01-11-2018, 04:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Like we all said, its your money, spend it how you want.

When the 60 *****, you probably wouldnt post here anyway explaining that it happened. I am only making this post so when ppl find this thread on a google search they dont come to the conclusion that their 60e can survive 500ft/lbs in a truck.

Maybe you single cab, short bed, 2wd bolt on 4.8 guys are ok. But it takes a VERY short search to find 1000s of SUV and 4WD "bigger" trucks who are having their 60e replaced because it couldnt make it.

For the ease and limited cost (maybe less than your on the shelf spare), NOT doing an 80e because "you dont want to" is silly. Your money, your project. My supercharged 408, built 80e and SUV will be happy to throw your truck on my trailer and do a 4wd burnout on the way back your shop.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by someotherguy
If you mean people giving you advice = arguing, then what you really don't want are opinions that differ from yours. That's sad. Best of luck to you

Richard
Richard, that's the people on messengers words, not mine. I love advice and discussions, it's why I came hear from the get go. I never said I didn't want others opinions, that's been said for me twice now.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by arthursc2
Like we all said, its your money, spend it how you want.

When the 60 *****, you probably wouldnt post here anyway explaining that it happened. I am only making this post so when ppl find this thread on a google search they dont come to the conclusion that their 60e can survive 500ft/lbs in a truck.

Maybe you single cab, short bed, 2wd bolt on 4.8 guys are ok. But it takes a VERY short search to find 1000s of SUV and 4WD "bigger" trucks who are having their 60e replaced because it couldnt make it.

For the ease and limited cost (maybe less than your on the shelf spare), NOT doing an 80e because "you dont want to" is silly. Your money, your project. My supercharged 408, built 80e and SUV will be happy to throw your truck on my trailer and do a 4wd burnout on the way back your shop.
But you didn't all say. See I get what you say but I also am hearing it will be fine from others so how can just your side be correct? If a shop says they can build it and it will handle the power or they will make it right then why is that so wrong? I would definitely post here if it goes south, you don't know me very well. See this is what others complain of, they think they are right and you think you are right. When the other side disagrees you judge people and talk down to them, makes no sense. I will also post back here so when people Google they will see that my set-up worked just fine or didn't.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

I don’t mean to talk down to you, but the justification for not doing an 80 is weak, at best.

Roadrunner Transmission’s here in Abq, NM built us a 4L60e for about 3800$ “warranted” to 700hp. Circle D 3300, single 78mm, 5.3, ECSB 2wd.

We made mid 600s with it. Maybe 633, I’ll have to ask to get you final numbers. Ran it at the track a few times, broke it on a street launch. Maybe 5000mi on it. No torque management, smooth dyno, good timing and fuel control.

we yank it and take it to then, they tell us “oh we didn’t know it was in a truck, we can’t warranty that”

now if 60s are so great, why would a shop who builds transmissions for a living, and offers performance builds not warranty our trans in a truck, as they would if it were in a car?

After that I vowed to only change the fluid in my 60 until it ****. To be fair, my 60 has survived being over heated, over loaded, 477whp for a bit over 10k miles and lots of WOT 4-2 down shifts. Right now she sits at 302whp on an NA 5.3, with maybe 2000mi/yr use.

Doesnt mean I consider it strong. At all, actually. I have a Jakes Lvl3 80 for a reason.

results may vary. But I can swap a stock rebuild 80 into a truck for far less than the 3800 we pissed away on a “warranted 700hp” 60. Least the 80 would hold it

Quick Reply: Supercharger advice