Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

What would your choice be for bolt-on a cat-back?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 04:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would your choice be for bolt-on a cat-back?

...and why.

I have sold my blown Avalanche and replaced it with a 2011 Ext cab 4x4 Sliverado. I don't plan on getting too extreme with performance mods on this truck but mod #1 has to be to make it sound like a V8. Right now, if the radio is on, I have to look at the tach to see if it's running.

I would like a bolt on stainless steel cat-back system that I can put on myself. There isn't a shop anywhere close to me that can do mandrel bends and I want the longevity of stainless pipe. My goal is not to make a hot rod out of this truck but I would like an aggressive sound during acceleration with out much drone at cruising speed.

I'm not willing to spend the money for Corsa or Borla. I do want dual outlets but haven't decided if I want them out the back or behind the tires.

I probably won't buy from Ebay but it was easy to find links to the systems that I'm looking at:

Flowmaster
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Magnaflow
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Gibson (although, I would go with stainless and this link is for steel)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Gibso...item1e63e78ae3
Old 06-21-2011, 05:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i vote magnaflow
Old 06-21-2011, 07:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

magnaflow
Old 06-21-2011, 08:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

magnaflow FTW!
Old 06-21-2011, 09:21 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Except for the flowmaster it makes no difference.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:53 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Magnaflow but I'd just save the money and buy a muffler. the rest of it is just pipe that your truck already has. But that's just me. I replaced all the piping from Y-Pipe back with a resonator and Borla XR1 for a fraction of the price of a cat back.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:57 PM
TECH Addict

If I were to run a muffler Id go magnaflow
Old 06-22-2011, 06:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

So ya lose the Av and you forget all your friends from those forums, huh?

I had the Gibson Dual Extreme on my Av and liked it a lot. The idle wasn't too loud, but you could hear the exhaust when going down the road and it sounded great under heavy acceleration. There was zero drone. I bought the aluminized system and it rusted out at the clamps behind the muffler in about 6 years. If you go with the Gibson I'd suggest you get rid of the clamps and have the pipes welded together at the earliest opportunity, even if you go with stainless.

I've currently got a Hooker Max Flow large body 3" muffler on the Av and I'm probably going to dump it. It drones way too much at highway speeds (even with a 14" glass pack in front of it), from 1600-2000 rpm. It's worst at 1800, which is at 65 mph in my truck. Funny thing is that I bought two, sold one to Chevyfan, and he loves his. He says it has no drone on his truck. I'm going to have to go for a ride in his truck at Bratfest this year.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:37 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The Gibson and Magnaflow cat-backs have been the best-fitting systems that I've put on. Some of the others, including flowmaster and dynomax, didn't fit well and were a PITA to install. Especially if you're concered with how good the hangers are, and how well the tailpipes line up & exit.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Avalanche2002
So ya lose the Av and you forget all your friends from those forums, huh?

I had the Gibson Dual Extreme on my Av and liked it a lot. The idle wasn't too loud, but you could hear the exhaust when going down the road and it sounded great under heavy acceleration. There was zero drone. I bought the aluminized system and it rusted out at the clamps behind the muffler in about 6 years. If you go with the Gibson I'd suggest you get rid of the clamps and have the pipes welded together at the earliest opportunity, even if you go with stainless.

I've currently got a Hooker Max Flow large body 3" muffler on the Av and I'm probably going to dump it. It drones way too much at highway speeds (even with a 14" glass pack in front of it), from 1600-2000 rpm. It's worst at 1800, which is at 65 mph in my truck. Funny thing is that I bought two, sold one to Chevyfan, and he loves his. He says it has no drone on his truck. I'm going to have to go for a ride in his truck at Bratfest this year.
I'll never forget my AV friends! There aren't a lot of '11 AV's out there that have to deal with DOD, a resonator, and SS flex pipe that I do, not to mention the 6 speed. These guys are a little more hard core on the new stuff.

I think (but am not 100%) I'm going with the Magnaflow. It seems to be a quality product at a fair price. I do like the behind the tire exit of the Gibson and FM better for towing but I don't tow often. I do insist in dual outlets on different sides of the vehicle, that's the old-school in me.

You bring up a point about clamps vs. welding. I don't know anyone that welds with anything but mild steel wire or rods. I'm thinking that would cause a weak point as far as rust. I think I'll buy some SS clamps if the kit doesn't come with them. They are available, any thoughts?

Quick Reply: What would your choice be for bolt-on a cat-back?