Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STS Turbo owners, please step inside.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 03:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STS Turbo owners, please step inside.

I was just wondering what is the general feelings about the kit, i have so many questions about the kit, i wouldn't know where to begin.

How do you like the fit of the kit, and the ease of install and maintenance?
How was the Customer service, both before and after purchase? were your problems handled if you had any, was the lead time short or long?

What kits did you purchase and how do they perform?

I just bought an 04 1/2 ton 2wd ext. cab, 5.3l automatic, and am interested in the kit, but am unsure about the whole rear mount, with the whole oil line issue, obviously the line to the turbo is pressurized, but what about the return? Is there a pump included in the kit? does it work well?

Does anyone have pics of there install? how far back does the turbo mount? just past the "Y" i mean we got quite a bit of room under there. What kind of room do you have for the ducting to the T/B, has anyone added an innercooler? That is an option i definetely want on my kit, for the added safety and ability to run more boost efficiently. All i have to go off is the pics of F-body kits installed, and a layout of the parts for our kit, and i am just wondering about the fit and finish, and clearance. Right now the truck is at stock height, but i might want to drop it say a 2/3 drop to give it a better look. I had a Procharged '98 Z-28 and the fit was ok on that system, but that was in an already crowded engine bay. the idea of keeping the turbo under the truck to the rear sounds cool, ecspecially to keep underhood temps down. What did you guys do for exhaust, i've already got a flowmaster single in/out 3" on there, and i see the f-body kits aren't even using mufflers, i realize that the turbo will kill most of the obnoxious exhaust tones, but are you guys even using a muffler anymore, or getting rid of them all in all, to relieve backpressure.

Sorry for all the questions, and i'll probably have more, but before i chump up the jack, i want to hear feedback from those who are in the same boat.

Thanks ahead of time for all your help.

Jason

Sorry it's such a long post.
Old 09-19-2004, 07:42 AM
On The Tree

General feedback on the the STS systems is very positive. Maybe Jerry2500 can take some pics for you and answer your questions, as he has a 2500 w/ the STS setup.

=Dave
Old 09-19-2004, 12:12 PM
12 Second Truck Club

I'll probably miss some question but here goes...

I LOVE MY KIT!

My only negative thoughts at this point in time on my particular kit is that I still have oil leaks on some of the connections on the turbo. The oil drips onto the turbo and burns off which stinks when you pull up to a light. I am told this is really rare and only 2 of the 4 STS cars that I have personally seen do this and I have never heard of any of the other STS guys on the net have this issue. I'm sure it will be an easy resolve.

Fitment is perfect. My only negative on the fitment is the piping has a fairly deep bend right behind the passanger side front tire and dips pretty low. With a mild drop it's not bad but on a 4x6" drop it would be a problem IMO.

Customer service is the best I have ever recieved from a company. The guys there are always willing to give me advice and listen even when my questions seem kind of dumb even to me. There were many things I have changed on my system in an effort to make more of a drag race system and I wasn't even charged for the changes and they were VERY lienent about how long it took my to ship items back due to the truck being down. Customer service is #1 in my book!!!

The oiling is simple and utilizes a scavenging pump on the return side. There are 2 pumps available so if you plan on building a high boost monster then go with the high volume pump right off the bat. Just make sure you know that they wire up different.

The turbo mounts pretty far back. Like in front of the rear axle. I kept my stock exhaust all the way back to the turbo but gutted my cats. With the GT35 turbo upgrade the exhaust noise was livable. At idle it sounded kinda choppy due to turbo noise but at WOT is wasn't too bad. With the GT67 it is WAAY loud. It sounds just like I used to N/A (with big cam, long tubes, gutted cats) without a muffler except now it has a cool whistle to it. For daily driving I have a flange that allows me to put on my magnaflow muffler and dump it right at the back bumper. Sounds just like N/A with the muffler on till at WOT then it has a little whistle but not much

As for the intercooler.... yeah, did it. Best mod I've done on this kit so far.
I bought one of the OBX ICs they have flooding eBay right now and it works excellent! For pics and a full write up on my results go here...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...light=obx+FMIC

All 3 of us that have done the OBX FMIC in my area have had fantastic results and felt it was worth the money. The other 2 cars are a Camaro and Firehawk.

If you are dead set on this kit feel free to PM me for more info. I think I have the turbo sizing thing down pat so I would just need to know what you want out of your truck to be able to recomend a unit. I've also talked with Dave and Rick at STS about my results so I'm sure they can help you out also if you are doing something run of the mill or going nutty like I did..
Old 09-19-2004, 03:18 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My experiences with STS are awesome -- both with the hardware and with the people. Like F8L said, they are some of the best people I've ever worked with. As a matter of fact I was talking with Dave South last night -- 9pm on a Saturday night. He wanted to make sure I got my new wastegate spring in okay and was helping out on an issue caused by a local exhaust shop (they seem to have taken out my wastegate valve seat!!!). Everytime I've called, Dave has dropped whatever he's doing to help me out. I've also known him to pull out his toolbox and help another STS owner at a car show. I really can't praise them enough in the CS department. You always get what you need, you always get it fast, and they are always there to help. Like F8L can attest to, they are very interested in you being happy with your kit, even if it means sending you a free wastegate spring, or trading out turbos, etc. Class acts.

The kit's performance is better than I ever expected. I've had turbos before, but never on a high compression V8 with lots of torque. I see 7psi at about 3000rpm and have yet to see it drop off (up to 6200 rpm). I've been self-tuning and learning how to tune a turbo as I go, and haven't been to the track / dyno yet, but have seen calculated torque numbers of 558 at around 4600rpm (take with a grain of salt -- this number is calculated by HPT scanner, but HPT claims it is within 1% of their local dyno -- I have no idea either way).

F8L, I'm also having that little leak problem (I also had a bad check valve issue). I believe it doesn't leak enough to be a big problem, so as I've fixed or replaced any obvivous leaks, I'm ignoring mine until I switch turbos.

On an SSS, the turbo sits just in front of the passenger rear tire (I have a longer than stock air cleaner, and it still doesn't reach the front of the bed). Basically the kit fits where my muffler used to be. I'm running the third kit to go on the SSS and have the regular truck intake piping, so my fitment is a little tighter than most. The biggest issue I had was fixed with a 39 cent bolt cover -- the shock tower bolt was rubbing on the intake tubing every once in a while.

With cats, the GT67 on my truck sounded like a flowmaster kit with 737 attached to it. I recently removed the cats, and found it was a little too loud for my tastes. I added a Flowmaster series 10 race muffler yesterday and it sounds very cool. It is also very quite (comparatively) at idle.

I've never heard anyone who owns an STS kit speak in any other way about their kits than F8L and I do.
Old 09-19-2004, 03:47 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Great follow up post Erik

Now all we need is Jerry2500 in here to give his input on a base kit
Old 09-19-2004, 05:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the info fellas, it helps alot to hear from others hat have the stuff, i like the price of that FMIC, that's damn cheap!!!!!! My buddy pays that much if not a little more for just his I/C cores! But i would rather have a custom one that didn't require any cutting, and would us as much area as possible to get the most airflow. I'm anxious to see the outcome of their c.a.r.b. approval, and the ease of removing the kit for warranty issues would be nice, but how does your oiling system hook up, where do they run the return line too, i saw something on their webpage about not having to tap into the oilpan. I really want to slap a kit on the truck, but hell, it's a week old with like 285 miles on it, so i better give it some break in time, and do this the right way, i'll probably step up to the GT 67 for future purposes, how much was the 67 upgrade?
Old 09-20-2004, 12:52 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got back to town last night running away from Ivan. F8L and Erik pretty much got it covered. I pm you my phone # so give me a call if you have any questions. Very happy with the kit and great customer service. I got the stock kit, basicly because i use my truck for towing not racing, well sometimes. For the everyday driver the base kit is perfect. For racing do like these guys did and bump it up a little.
Old 09-20-2004, 01:04 PM
Performance Trucks Sponsor

I'll tell you how you can make your mind up. If there's anyone in your area that has the kit, simply give them a call and take a ride in their vehicle. You'll go home that day and order one, they are very impressive and def. worth the cost.
When Rick from STS and I went to Cali to install and tune a Camaro, I was sold 100% after I drove this car. There are more powerful cars on the road, but going from 318hp stock to the wheels, to 475hp, and 33xtq to over 500tq to the wheels on7psi, was simply amazing. This kit works and there's no doubt about it now!

later,

allen
Old 09-20-2004, 05:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default .

Well, i don't think anyone in my area has a kit, and ive owned and driven forced induction vehicles before, and know the feeling, i don't want to be swept up in all that, i was just curious about all the little qwerks that the kit might have, like the oil leaks, and how the oiling system works without tapping the oil pan, possibly just route return line to a v/c since they are using a scavenge pump. I appreciate all the hel you guys have provided, which is one major reason i like being associated with this board, and all the related people.

Jason
Old 09-20-2004, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Jason, I dont have one on a truck, but on a '02 Formula. I went from 310/325 to 412/451 at just 5psi. The oiling issue they are talking about is very easy to remedy if you have that problem. STS has changed suppliers so the new check valves have better quality. Also keep in mind the parts are warrantied for 12mo's. I too would be glad to answer any questions you have as I have installed several of the kits.
Billy