Notices
GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion 2014+ Trucks | General Discussion

Nitrous or STS or wait for the '16 8spd.?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 11:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts
Default Nitrous or STS or wait for the '16 8spd.?

Doesn't look like I'm going to be able to do a blower this year due to other personal stuff (good stuff tho). I still have the STS off my 07 that made it run a 7.64 1/8th @ only 8.5lbs boost. Also could consider a shot since I mostly just putt around anyway and use it mainly as my DD work truck. Wondering if I could get away with a 150 shot without a tune? Would like to just hit 7.90 for now unloaded. Reason is I may consider trading for an 8 speed RCSB next year and I understand they can tell if you've f'd with the computer. So turbo or shot or just wait to trade and then probably a 2.9 or mag 2300. The last option would probably be another 15k in debt though but its a business write off at least. Lots of experts here I respect so lets hear it guys. Your opinions please?
Old 08-09-2015, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you going to sell yours???
I'm waiting on the 2016s RCSB myself but a 6spd with a converter and gears would be more fun.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

buddy of mine has the 8 speed in his Denali and the 8 speed in the z06. He said the tuning in the truck is very sloppy but the z06 is very precise especially with the paddle shifters. I personally haven't taken a ride yet, but with the available tuning for the 6 speed and the upgrades already available, i would personally stick with the 6 speed as the 8 speeds seem to be purpose built for the z06 and are kind of a transition piece for the 10 speed (just my opinion). Also, the 6 speeds are strong as hell. Not to mention, the revised look of the new sierra's doesn't appeal to me as the lights look like an older Honda Pilot (all personal opinion). I love the sierra you have and would just spend some money in that and wait on the supercharger if that's what you really want. Who knows, by the time you can swing the supercharger there might be something new out there. Good luck with your decision, it's a tough one to say the least.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 62nalide
Are you going to sell yours???
I'm waiting on the 2016s RCSB myself but a 6spd with a converter and gears would be more fun.
Thanks for the replies. To be honest I like the stock converter as it stalls at 2300 and the 3.42s are working great for gas mileage (DD work truck remember) just figured the wider spread of the 8 spd would be a performance edge. At least it shows it on a dragstrip program.

Originally Posted by RoidedSS
buddy of mine has the 8 speed in his Denali and the 8 speed in the z06. He said the tuning in the truck is very sloppy but the z06 is very precise especially with the paddle shifters. I personally haven't taken a ride yet, but with the available tuning for the 6 speed and the upgrades already available, i would personally stick with the 6 speed as the 8 speeds seem to be purpose built for the z06 and are kind of a transition piece for the 10 speed (just my opinion). Also, the 6 speeds are strong as hell. Not to mention, the revised look of the new sierra's doesn't appeal to me as the lights look like an older Honda Pilot (all personal opinion). I love the sierra you have and would just spend some money in that and wait on the supercharger if that's what you really want. Who knows, by the time you can swing the supercharger there might be something new out there. Good luck with your decision, it's a tough one to say the least.
The 6 speed is strong but the 8 speed is even stronger. I thought the 10 speed was going to be more of a fwd low hp piece? I do love the looks of my Sierra but I like the new Chevy too. I am not unhappy just want to make the best longer term decision. Thanks!
Old 08-10-2015, 09:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I haven't seen that the 16 RCSB is even getting the 8-speed. Nobody has any information as of yet it seems.

I would think the 8-speed would be great, as everybody who has one loves it...
Old 08-10-2015, 11:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Well this is a pretty good indication from just a quick search. I've seen a few others that I could swear said even the V6.I think its model wide unless I possibly misread. "Additional enhancements include more widespread availability of the eight-speed automatic transmission across the Silverado 1500 lineup."
Old 08-11-2015, 04:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Not a solid enough statement to have me believe that everything is getting one. The 4.8s still came with the 4L60e for a while in the NNBS.

If it said something like "8-speed available across all V8 models," or even "8-speed is now an option across the line up." More widespread availability does nothing for me to believe everything is getting it.

I could really see them leaving the 6L80 in the regular cab, and offering the 8L90 as an option in the double cab and crew cab with the V8. Just speculation though until they drop the actual order forms.

I did find RPO codes and changes, and saw no mention. Check my thread.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...g-8l90-538718/
Old 08-11-2015, 10:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Hadn't seen page 2. Time will tell but there is no reason for me to trade whatsoever if not. I'm very happy with what I've got but it's like when s a new hot girl around, you want to take her for a ride.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

gnasty1521, my buddy is comparing apples to oranges with a z06 corvette and a denali. It could be shift firmness etc to make it seem smoother, but he said the tuning isn't perfected in it as it seems to search for gears more than he would like. His family owns a transmission company that works directly with GM. I can see what the cause of failure has been with the 8 speed and get back to you.

With regards to the 10 speed, GM is building the smaller FWD version for the smaller vehicles and Ford is handling the 10 speed for the rear drive applications....at least from my reading. I'll check on that and also get back once I have a definite answer.

The new Silverado's do have a sharp style to them and I would have liked to have waited, but I needed something on the spot and I basically stole my double cab with the deal they gave me....I have no complaints with the 6 speed and know there have been a few trucks running around with well over 600 horsepower...more power than my daily will likely see.

Looking forward to seeing the direction you choose to go with!
Old 08-12-2015, 07:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks for the info. Any opinions on Nitrous or a mid mount turbo or just wait? Haven't ruled out a trade yet. I guess sitting on it and waiting wont kill me.