Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are HP Tuner and EFI live the top 2 choices

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 11:19 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Are HP Tuner and EFI live the top 2 choices

Are there any other full tuner systems and are these two the best, or have they just done the best marketing?
Old 03-24-2008, 12:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are your best 2 choices out there.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I love using HPTuners. I've used EFILive and I like it, and they both have their advantages. Somewhere there's a good comparison chart that shows the two. If you go with HPTuners get the pro version if you ever think you'll run a wideband. From what I understand it's much less expensive to epxand upon the HPtuners platform for custom operating systems and licensing other vehicles.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jakebdb56
From what I understand it's much less expensive to epxand upon the HPtuners platform for custom operating systems and licensing other vehicles.
Not sure where you heard that... but your backwards . EFILive licenses ANY vehicle for 1 $99 licence and ALL custom OS are free. The units come with 2 licences.

HPT basic licenses are 2 credits for some vehicles ($49 each=$98) and 4 credits for a lot of the newer platforms and fords ($196), PLUS 1 bar MAF custom OS are ANOTHER credit ($49) and 2-3 bars custom OS are 2 credits ($98). The units come with 8 credits. (I'm sure Foff will correct me if I'm wrong on any of this, but I think I got it right )

Both tuning suite will do pretty much the same thing and both work great, it's just a mater of preference and how you want to go about the licensing structure.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Somewhere I read that the custom OS's for EFILive were expensive. Thanks for correcting me though. HPtuners does come with 8 credits which allows you to tune up to 4 vehicles out of the box.

I wonder if the EFI licensing is really based on PCM serial number like HPtuners or if VIN is the only delimiter. If so you could potentially tune a lot of vehicles for free if it's only VIN verification.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:03 PM
Hello Dave

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Somewhere I read that the custom OS's for EFILive were expensive. Thanks for correcting me though. HPtuners does come with 8 credits which allows you to tune up to 4 vehicles out of the box.

I wonder if the EFI licensing is really based on PCM serial number like HPtuners or if VIN is the only delimiter. If so you could potentially tune a lot of vehicles for free if it's only VIN verification.
EFILive is PCM serial number only. Doesn't care what the VIN is or if it even has one.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:08 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are both very good.
If you choose to go with EFILive,justin can hook you up
Either way you go you will not be sorry.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dc_justin
EFILive is PCM serial number only. Doesn't care what the VIN is or if it even has one.
That's what I figured it was, but looking at the online store it was misleading because it says:

"FlashScan V2 VIN License
FlashScan V2 Scan and Tune owners may purchase additional VIN Licenses to tune extra vehicles."

I met the EFILive guys last year at SEMA and they were pretty cool. They walked me through some of the features of their software. If I had the money I'd get both to see what I really preferred using.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

If I had the money I'd get both to see what I really preferred using.
I've done that
Old 03-27-2008, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kbracing96
I've done that
I wish I could "trade" someone just for a little while to see what it's like. For right now, HPTuners does everything I need and I really don't have to have RTT on my truck but it's a convenience deal ya know. Doing it on Matt's truck is fun and makes life simplier. I still need to upgrade to pro so I can hook the wideband directly into HPT.

Gonna be around town any time soon KB? I'd like to see the user interface of the scanner and the software itself first hand. I saw just a little bit of it at SEMA, but the girls with the huge ***** in the booth next door were a bit distracting

Quick Reply: Are HP Tuner and EFI live the top 2 choices