Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a few ideas but need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 12:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Got a few ideas but need some advice

I've been thinking about some things here lately and want to get your guys take on it all. I've had my truck for a little while now and after putting the 22s on her I don't like her get up at all. It will be a while before this becomes a reality but I wanna get all my ducks in a row before I go spendin money.

So to keep myself on a budget, overtime, I've came up with a couple of ideas. Tell me what you think.

What I got to start with:

08 Crew Cab Short
4.8L
Stock 243s
22s

I would like to start modding with a set of ARH 1-7/8 LTs, Y-pipe, Exhaust and a Tune. I haven't given alot of thought about which muffler to go with, What do you guys suggest?

After that I would start saving up for a Trans, DS and a set of Gears, but I still haven't decided on 3.73s or 4.10s...
What's your take on the gears?

After a little more time passes and I got a little more money in my pocket I would like to get a Vic Jr, 4150 tb and a good set of Heads along with a Good Cam and a Stall.
What is a good NA Head/Cam and Stall combo for these trucks? I'm lookin for alot of Torque, I might have to pull a Travel Trailer

I know some might hate on the little 4.8 but it's all I got to work with for now.I know there are other things I will need that I haven't listed such as a Fuel Pump, Injectors etc. But I'm just getting the basics for now and I'll get into the more detailed things when this is closer to becoming a reality. Thanks for all your help!

P.S. If I don't like what she does for me I can always do a Cam Swap and throw some boost to her
Old 09-26-2011, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

For the money you'd spend on arh's, you could a cammed 6.0 if you did the work yourself..
Old 09-26-2011, 04:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lots of torque = magnacharger or 6.0...or both
Old 09-26-2011, 05:06 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by InsaneDomestics
I've been thinking about some things here lately and want to get your guys take on it all. I've had my truck for a little while now and after putting the 22s on her I don't like her get up at all. It will be a while before this becomes a reality but I wanna get all my ducks in a row before I go spendin money.

So to keep myself on a budget, overtime, I've came up with a couple of ideas. Tell me what you think.

What I got to start with:

08 Crew Cab Short
4.8L
Stock 243s
22s

I would like to start modding with a set of ARH 1-7/8 LTs, Y-pipe, Exhaust and a Tune. I haven't given alot of thought about which muffler to go with, What do you guys suggest?

After that I would start saving up for a Trans, DS and a set of Gears, but I still haven't decided on 3.73s or 4.10s...
What's your take on the gears?

After a little more time passes and I got a little more money in my pocket I would like to get a Vic Jr, 4150 tb and a good set of Heads along with a Good Cam and a Stall.
What is a good NA Head/Cam and Stall combo for these trucks? I'm lookin for alot of Torque, I might have to pull a Travel Trailer

I know some might hate on the little 4.8 but it's all I got to work with for now.I know there are other things I will need that I haven't listed such as a Fuel Pump, Injectors etc. But I'm just getting the basics for now and I'll get into the more detailed things when this is closer to becoming a reality. Thanks for all your help!

P.S. If I don't like what she does for me I can always do a Cam Swap and throw some boost to her

I highlighted some stuff in RED that are contradictory to your goals. The truck is heavy, the wheels/tires are heavy, and the engine is small.

If you are truly looking for torque, and more power to pull, you should look for a good deal on a used MP112 Magnacharger. Bolt it on & be done with it, you won't need headers, or a converter, to get what you're looking for. But you can always do those kinds of upgrades too, if you want.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it were me, I would ditch the heavy wheels and go with some light(er) stock style wheels. If you will be primarily towing with this truck and don't want to put boost on it, I would find a good cam, stall, and gears combo. If you don't mind throwing some boost behind it, go with the Magnacharger like everyone else is saying. Personally because it's a crew cab and you want more bottom end as well as get up and go, I think your best bet is a cammed 6.0. Bigger engine= better power. Plus it will be much easier to pull more out of it later for less money than trying to keep pulling more and more out of that 4.8
Old 09-26-2011, 08:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
I highlighted some stuff in RED that are contradictory to your goals. The truck is heavy, the wheels/tires are heavy, and the engine is small.

If you are truly looking for torque, and more power to pull, you should look for a good deal on a used MP112 Magnacharger. Bolt it on & be done with it, you won't need headers, or a converter, to get what you're looking for. But you can always do those kinds of upgrades too, if you want.
Great advice, different heads and a vic jr are two things you definitely dont need.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know bigger cubes would be better but I want to see what this 4.8 will do. I have a 6.0 in my Camaro that I could always swap out later but for now I wanna stick with what I stated in the OP.

Why would you pick the Maggie over a Procharger?

Also, I'm not tryin to get this thing into the 10s with this little 4.8. I just want a pretty decent Daily Driver.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02'Z71ONDUBZ'
Great advice, different heads and a vic jr are two things you definitely dont need.
Whats the reasoning?
Old 09-26-2011, 09:15 PM
TECH Resident

I know bigger cubes would be better but I want to see what this 4.8 will do. I have a 6.0 in my Camaro that I could always swap out later but for now I wanna stick with what I stated in the OP.

Why would you pick the Maggie over a Procharger?

Also, I'm not tryin to get this thing into the 10s with this little 4.8. I just want a pretty decent Daily Driver.
Whats the reasoning?
The maggie will provide much more torque off idle than the procharger. And neither will get you close to 10's, maybe high 12's. And as for heads, your stock heads should be 243's wbich flow very well, and the stock 78mm truck intake (yours is the larger 87mm) has been proven into the 9's. If your shooting for 800whp+ and wanting to spin it past 7k with power coming on late in the powerband then the vic would be for you. Absolute opposite of the torque you need to turn the 22's and tow on small cubes.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:12 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The maggie can start building boost right off idle, at a nice & streetable low rpm. Depending on your setup, and just pulling a random number out of my ***, your 4.8 could easily give you over 400 ft lbs of torque at 2500 rpm. The maggie will work very well with your stock torque converter as well.

A procharger builds boost based soley on engine rpm. The boost is linear, meaning, they start building boost between 3000-3500 rpm(typically), and boost continues to increase with engine rpm, and you achieve maximum boost right before the transmission shifts into the next gear. Then your boost level drops, because your engine rpm just dropped.

Magnachargers and towing work well together, and the used MP112's out there have been going for very low prices.

Quick Reply: Got a few ideas but need some advice