Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

"Free" Mods List

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 08:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I was kinda just pickin'. My wife has been pretty tolerant.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:45 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone with a cable TB notice the blade doesnt open all the way? mine didnt so i just fixed it, im also gonna port the TB opening, about 1cm in front of the blade is a choke point, there is a good ridge you can feel with your finger, im hoping to feel a difference in porting the TB, the opening behind the blade measures about 75mm, so id guess infront of the blade its closer to 70-72mm, definitely room for improvement on the stocker....i really need a 102/102
Old 03-19-2011, 07:46 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by RSTinOKC
Where's the table for this in EFI Live or HP Tuners?
Not sure, the ex spent all of my money so I can't afford tuning software!
Old 03-19-2011, 08:32 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Keep the screen in the maf. Taking it out may add 1-2hp but it cause unpredictable tunng issues.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

^^^ I've read this a ton also.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:07 PM
On The Tree

no one mentioned airbox modification, i know most will just add a aftermarket cold air kit, but i was bored at work and i know im gonna get a cai eventually so i took the box out, found that it was bolted to a metal tray on the bottom and under the tray, is AIR so i removed the tray and cut the bottom out of the air box... i used some self tappers to remount the airboxin place and i already had a k&N filter... with reckless abandon i removed the screen from the mafs then i took the air tube from the mafs to the throttlebody, got out the cutoff blade and the dremel and removed the "silencers" from the tube, then i used abs plastic cement and pieces from the silencers to seal the holes left... then wrapped the whole mess in a roll black duct tape for good measure... i checked and my egr valve was just a plug that did not protrude into the intake lane, i will do a little smoothing on the throttlebody next time im bored at work...
results: it was IMMEDIATELY & NOTICEABLY louder,(now i gotta get some exhaust noise going) i dont wanna say "it felt faster" because i highly doubt you can even feel a 10hp- 1/10th sec increase in a 280hp/3ton vehicle but it does seem to rev a little free'er and i havent documented it but im guessing it may have gotten me an extra .5 mpg from just an hour of playing around... eventually ill get a real CAI but for now it sounds like i got one lol and that tray wont be there when i install the cone filter! im also thinking of making the fender hole big enough for a 3" tube, and mounting the cone INSIDE of the fender for less heat soak... probably wont be good for rain, but ill get one of those "prefilters" and ill drive easy in deep water... taking the tailgate/spare tire off seemd to do alot more then all this though lol not sure if i want to do the tb bypass mod as it gets below 0 up here in the winter and im not sure i would benefit from that, contemplating using 1/4" valves that can be closed for summer and open in winter... im also thinking of gutting the cats after the 02 sensors but im not sure if that would make enough of a difference to warrant the time consumed, when im planning OBX LTs and a magnaflow cat back exhaust in the near future...

Last edited by flippindabird; 06-05-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:59 AM
On The Tree

i just dont see porting and polishing a stock throttle body to be any good since your not increasing the size of the blade/opening. sure the front portion is opened up a few milimeters, but the "hole" is still the same size...
Old 06-06-2011, 05:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bighoss77
i just dont see porting and polishing a stock throttle body to be any good since your not increasing the size of the blade/opening. sure the front portion is opened up a few milimeters, but the "hole" is still the same size...
Although the "hole" size is unchanged, the area before the "hole" is smoothed out for an easier transition into the hole...

My favorite analogy:

Take 12 ounces of your favorite beer.
Chug it out of the bottle it came from the factory in....
Now take another 12 ounces of beer,
and chug it out of a beer mug....

Same hole, but which one allowed a faster entry into the "hole"?

The free-er flowing area before the "hole" wins everytime...

If you have the capability to do a throttle body "smoothing" yourself, it's a two hour job tops...and while it won't add a substantial amount of horsepower, it does help a little, and every little bit helps...
Old 06-06-2011, 05:29 PM
Staging Lane

SOme more "cheaper" mods, not exactly free but worth it IMO.

Vette Servo

LS1 fans (on a non electric fan truck)

Making your own CAI from Siliconeintakes.com (bout 70 bucks) and then cutting holes in bottom of the stock airbox

Trans cooler (very important) and trans gauge....

All of these made a huge difference on my truck, by themselves but especially when coupled with a tune and other bolt ons
Old 06-08-2011, 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bighoss77
You're supposed to be taking out the ridges front and aft of the blade, which cuts down on the turbulence that they create. Not necessarily making the hole larger. Yes, you will pick up power5-7hp usually. Throttle response is the "biggie" on noticible improvement. Said before, every little bit helps.

Quick Reply: "Free" Mods List