Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Free" Mods List

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 04:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TexasSteve
How does the tube vent? It isn't open anywhere so it just connects left to right & I'm not seeing how having the 2 sides connected is any different than them just being blocked off. And since it is for coolant water passage, it can't have a vent or the coolant would leak.
It allows either of the heads to vent back into the radiator. The line runs from the steam tube to the throttle body and then into the radiator.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slammed96
It vents between the heads to prevent hot spots and keep everything evenly heated/cooled.
Actually I think it is just for heating the throttle body & a lack of the crossover would do nothing to hurt the engine in any way.

Kinda like when people convert their LS engines to carbs.....There goes that crossover & I don't hear anything about anyone adding a crossover tube for the carb conversion.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:50 AM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by gbbmk
I have torq on my phone but its not giving me a reading. it is almost like the iac is not even working. Is that possible?
if you cut too close to the blade and the engine is getting too much air at idle the IAC will close completely which would make it seem like it is not working at all. it is also possible that the IAC has gone bad. pull the throttle body and watch the IAC piston from the back side of the throttle body while cycling the key on and off.

dont pull the IAC and cycle the key, it will shoot that piston right out. figured that one out the hard way
Old 03-24-2013, 11:41 AM
12 Second Club

Actually I think it is just for heating the throttle body & a lack of the crossover would do nothing to hurt the engine in any way.

Kinda like when people convert their LS engines to carbs.....There goes that crossover & I don't hear anything about anyone adding a crossover tube for the carb conversion.
I don't know why you are so focused on this. For the record you could convert to carb and still keep the steam tube, as far as I know that is how people do it.

Here is some reading for you.

LS1 steam lines from heads - LS1TECH
Old 03-25-2013, 11:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Funkster
I don't know why you are so focused on this. For the record you could convert to carb and still keep the steam tube, as far as I know that is how people do it.

Here is some reading for you.

LS1 steam lines from heads - LS1TECH
Focused? I dunno about that, but I know I'm not spending $20 on a kit if 2 Autozone plugs & couple clamps will suffice. Or just buying 1 longer hose to connect the 2 instead of jerry rigging a splice tube instead of doing it right & just replacing everything with 1 longer piece of tube. I do things once & do them right.

I'm new to this whole LS-series engines & trucks & I learn b y KNOWING, not just 1 post by 1 person saying "Do it." Too much disinformation on the 'net to trust 1 post by 1 person saying something. Thanks for posting that link. It explains it well. I'm not on LS1tech.com. Instead of blocking them off I'll keep mine open but connect them with 1 hose & bypass the TB even though mine is just a 4.8 & I'm not trying crank out huge horsepower #s out of it, which according to Post #4 I'd be fine blocking them off altogether but again.....also not gonna go by 1 persons 1 post saying that I can.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:24 AM
12 Second Club

Focused? I dunno about that, but I know I'm not spending $20 on a kit if 2 Autozone plugs & couple clamps will suffice. Or just buying 1 longer hose to connect the 2 instead of jerry rigging a splice tube instead of doing it right & just replacing everything with 1 longer piece of tube. I do things once & do them right.

I'm new to this whole LS-series engines & trucks & I learn b y KNOWING, not just 1 post by 1 person saying "Do it." Too much disinformation on the 'net to trust 1 post by 1 person saying something. Thanks for posting that link. It explains it well. I'm not on LS1tech.com. Instead of blocking them off I'll keep mine open but connect them with 1 hose & bypass the TB even though mine is just a 4.8 & I'm not trying crank out huge horsepower #s out of it, which according to Post #4 I'd be fine blocking them off altogether but again.....also not gonna go by 1 persons 1 post saying that I can.
I don't think anyone should be buying a kit for this. Connect the hoses with a barb or run a new length of hose, both are a better option than paying for a kit.

You're right, according to post #4 a stock power level vehicle may have "little" consequence. However, I did not assume your goal was to make stock level power and that was never clarified until now.

Lastly, regarding doing things "right", I guess in my opinion there is nothing wrong with doing things the way that works. Thousands of people have connected the hoses together and made an absolute ton of power with no issues with the hoses coming apart, etc. It is far from the most glamorous solution possible, but it gets the job done and I'm not building a show truck at this point.