Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Ebay/OBX style header install w/plenty of PICS (LONG, but detailed)

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 03:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe i missed it but your saying the end of the y pipe collector is also 2.5 inch...i was hopeing it was 3 inch..could be wrong though if its 3 inch i am sold cuz them are some good deals on ebay for sure!!
Old 11-29-2009, 04:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Nicksilverado
maybe i missed it but your saying the end of the y pipe collector is also 2.5 inch...i was hopeing it was 3 inch..could be wrong though if its 3 inch i am sold cuz them are some good deals on ebay for sure!!
Definitely priced right.

I updated original thread, sorry about that.

The header collectors are 2.5", but the Y pipe collector is 3" and matches my "I-pipe" perfectly.

I also updated my after header exhaust mod, tuning update, and a quick FYI on my stock, modified airbox/cold air kit.

Last edited by rel3rd; 11-29-2009 at 05:50 AM.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:13 PM
11 Second Truck Club

i just put a set of these on, very nice product for sure. i just wrapped the tube with the hump with some header wrap, no problems so far after 3 weeks with stock wires. the best part is no more rasp like i had with the pacesetters. My afr is perfect too without retuning so thats telling me they flow about the same as my pacesetters did.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:18 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by joeyc125
i just put a set of these on, very nice product for sure. i just wrapped the tube with the hump with some header wrap, no problems so far after 3 weeks with stock wires. the best part is no more rasp like i had with the pacesetters. My afr is perfect too without retuning so thats telling me they flow about the same as my pacesetters did.
What does the rest of your exhaust consist of?

My Flowmaster raspiness was bad enough after the header swap (IMO), that I added a bullet muffler inline with the I-pipe to "fix" it. Sounds good now, but I don't like the idea of running an extra muffler (and surely impeding exhaust flow) after spending the day swapping on headers to open it up, lol.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

how much seat of the pants gain did you feel?
Old 11-29-2009, 06:20 PM
11 Second Truck Club

i have a magnaflow 3" in dual 2.5" out. i had a 12" glasspack inline with it before, and it was still raspy. took that out with these headers now and still sounds good with no rasp.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:21 PM
11 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
how much seat of the pants gain did you feel?
3.2 rwhp
2.7 rwtq

In all seriousness, it feels like it runs a lot stronger in the mid and upper rpm's. It also seems to rev easier/sound smoother in normal day to day driving, if that makes sense? One plus was gaining probably 2mpg's. I usually lose 2mpg's with the winter blend gasoline, but my gas mileage is the same as it has been regularly before the header swap, and before the winter blended gas we get around here.

I gained 22rwhp (mostly up top) when I first put longtubes/ORY on my old LS1 Camaro, and I'd expect that whatever gain I got on the truck is comparable.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:23 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by joeyc125
i have a magnaflow 3" in dual 2.5" out. i had a 12" glasspack inline with it before, and it was still raspy. took that out with these headers now and still sounds good with no rasp.
Good to hear. (pun intended, lol)

I'm still considering a muffler swap myself, because I'd rather not have the inline muffler, so thanks for the info/reply.

BTW, my inline muffler is also 12"...the total length is 18", but muffler body is 12...I got the numbers screwed up.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

3 rwtq gain is nothing to sneeze at given the cost
Old 11-29-2009, 06:26 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
3 rwtq gain is nothing to sneeze at given the cost
I was just kidding about the numbers. My truck has n't been, nor will it ever be, on a dyno. I still haul dirt, mulch, stone, block, and tow with it every now and again, so it's a true daily driver/work beater for me. I only bought the headers because the gearhead in me wanted a little more power, and for the money I am definitely happy with end result.

Quick Reply: Ebay/OBX style header install w/plenty of PICS (LONG, but detailed)