Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ebay/OBX style header install w/plenty of PICS (LONG, but detailed)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 05:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by _zebra
i know it's been forever, but just in case anybody cares...
i was off in the woods this afternoon & decided to hop over a log. as i'm rolling over it, of course i hear a snap, thump, and then my exhaust got real loud! i thought i surely broke a flange or primary or something.

got out & checked... all it was was the y-pipe joint where it crosses under the transmission came apart. in my garage tonight, i had to loosen the collector flanges to get enough play to put the pipes back together. this is the first time in 5.5yrs those nuts've been touched. i popped a dab of PB blast on them & had ZERO issues! they loosened right up and (even more miraculously) tightened back down without breaking.

hopefully all y'all's've held up that good!
Almost SEVEN YEARS LATER!!!

Mine are still doing great!

Hopefully this thread thread of mine has helped a lot of you out.
Best $320 I've ever spent...
Old 06-27-2016, 09:48 AM
makes children cry

Received 399 Likes on 326 Posts

true!
Old 07-22-2019, 09:37 PM
11 Second Club

Sadly.....

Finally had to retire the old 2002 Z71 that these headers were on, and which was the test truck for this thread...

Still, after nearly 10 years, looked good and were still 100% leak free...

Just ordered another set of Ebay headers and Y pipe for my new (used) 2008 Silverado... $222.97 shipped to my door...lol.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:09 AM
makes children cry

great to hear! mine's still good to go & really helped the cam i FINALLY installed last spring.
The following users liked this post:
rel3rd (07-23-2019)
Old 07-31-2019, 07:19 AM
11 Second Club

Well...after much consideration, decided to cancel the header order for my new truck...

Original thread posted/started: 10-19-2009
Mainly after remembering making this statement I made, just 2 weeks after doing the swap on my old truck, and how many exhausts, mufflers, and configurations I made to it over the next SEVERAL years, to allow me to "like" it's sound again. Since this new(er) truck already has a nice, brand new Flowmaster catback, and I love the sound of it, as-is. I decided not to subject myself to the same torture, and piggy bank/credit card abuse again, LOL...

***UPDATE***

About 2 weeks after header swap/cat delete, I decided that the existing Flowmaster 40 series muffler'ed catback is/was now too loud for my taste...not to mention it had horrible rasp at light throttle, under load. A sound I truly hate.
I have installed the wideband from my old truck, (with new w/b sensor) and "tuned" the new rig, best I can for now, eliminating Displacement on Demand, re-doing the torque converter settings, firming up the upshifts, and dialing in the cruise and WOT AFR. Stock WOT AFR was mid 10's...It has 3.73 gears, so I'm debating some 4.10's to eliminate any future tow-ability concerns. Trailered my TA to the track about a month ago and while it did OK, I'm sure it'll do better this time around...

Also, I just realized that www.fquick.com seems to be gone, so unfortunately, so are all of the pictures from my original post...which sucks. Hopefully, though, this thread has helped many of you along the last 10 years...

Here's my "new" rig...64,000 mile, one (old) owner, 2008 Silverado LT crew cab 1500, 5.3, 2wd...it had some "busy" AR aftermarket chrome wheels on it, but I found a set of take-offs (2016) locally, for a decent price, so swapped them on.

Amazed at how much nicer this one drives/rides, but already miss my 2002 Z71 a little....just a little, lol.

Last edited by rel3rd; 07-31-2019 at 07:25 AM.
Old 07-31-2019, 11:00 AM
makes children cry

well, when you're finally done with the rasp, get yourself a straight-through muffler to replace that flowdisaster.
i had two different chambered mufflers prior to my dynomax, and i noticed the difference immediately on the first drive. top end revs up a lot quicker, too.
Old 07-31-2019, 11:22 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by _zebra
well, when you're finally done with the rasp, get yourself a straight-through muffler to replace that flowdisaster.
i had two different chambered mufflers prior to my dynomax, and i noticed the difference immediately on the first drive. top end revs up a lot quicker, too.
I have zero rasp at any speed or rpm right now. Mainly due to having cats, I'd guess.

Ironically, on my old truck...one of the many exhaust versions was a 3" single Dynomax catback, and it sounded horrible at anything above an idle. The last, final, and best sounding exhaust that the truck ever had AFTER the longtubes and off road Y, was a SINGLE 3" catback with a 30" long Walker RV muffler.

If I were to ever do it again, I'd leave the factory exhaust on, with headers and off road pipe. That's what mine sounded like on it's last days of me owning it.