Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam questions for 5.3L

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2003, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cam questions for 5.3L

I have $450 to spend and I have decided to get a cam. I'm looking into an LS1 cam, about how much hp would this give me and would it be worth it? Here is one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2440449755. Also suggestions would be appreciated, my truck is a daily driver and can't have crappy gas mileage,I drive lots of Hwy miles, need my truck to be reliable. Just want more hp. I'm not very familiar with cams so, what would be the biggest cam that I could put in my truck that I won't have to use other tuning besides my HPP3 or minor tuning? How much does it generally cost to have a cam installed and or tuning? Sorry for the large amount of questions I'm still learning on this subject. Last question if I did have the LS1 cam installed would it make my truck sound more like the 5.7L LS1 because they sound sooooooooo sweeeeeeet with long tubes?!!!!! Thanks a lot
--------------
99' GMC Sierra SLE rc/sb 5.3L: 3.42 limited slip rear end, HPP3, custom ram air set-up, K&N FIPK, Helix Power Tower TBS, custom true duel Flowmaster exhaust set-up, Magnaflow x-pipe, Edelbrock TES headers.
Old 10-31-2003, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you're doing a cam swap don't go with that cam. It's not worth your time and money. Seems like a lot of people are going with the Z06 cam and getting VERY nice results, somewhere around 30+hp at the wheels.

To help get that nice exhaust tone, look into getting some long tube headers.
Old 10-31-2003, 04:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yea, that is a stock cam, not much better than what you already have. An improvment yes, but you don't need the lifters. I sent your PM back.
Old 11-02-2003, 12:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Fast4.8
Yea, that is a stock cam, not much better than what you already have. An improvment yes, but you don't need the lifters. I sent your PM back.
What about this cam???

Crane Cam
Old 11-02-2003, 05:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

That cam is still really mild, go to thunder racing and get something a lil larger.
Old 11-02-2003, 06:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by benpimpin1
That cam is still really mild, go to thunder racing and get something a lil larger.
Help. I went there and there are no cams available to be looked at.

Thuder Racing - GM Trucks

What do you have for suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 11-02-2003, 06:18 PM
Banned

what do you want out of a cam??? smokeur5.0 has something like a 215/215 .555/.555 and he made great numbers with it and i think he said it ran pretty well on stock tuning. i have a 216/218 .535/.535 112 that made pretty good power from about 2500-stock redline went with something bigger and now wishing i hadn't.
Old 11-02-2003, 06:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry, go to the 98-02 f body page the cams are exactly the same as for the trucks.
Old 11-02-2003, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, if you get a cam, get a retune for the computer, and even a mild cam will give you 30 to 40 horsepower with stock heads with a dyno tune, or a good computer tune. I have run into a couple of people over here in vegas that both got a Crane cam that only gave them about 10 more horsepower and moved the fall off of the power band at 5850rpms, instead of the somewhat stock fall off of 5600rpms. Both got there vehicles dyno tuned for $350 a piece, I forgot the name of the shop, but they both picked up about 40hp altogether with the cam and retune, and that was just a mild cam.

In december I will be caming my truck for a supercharger or turbo, depending out how well Combination Motorsports turbo comes out, in December when they are done! But it will be anywhere from a half to a full year before I can afford the supercharger after getting my tranny beefed up. So I will get a cam for the specific setup, then dyno tuned for the mean while. I was told that with either cam setup, I will get at least 30hp, and up to another 20 to 30 more with the supercharger and turbo and another dyno tune. At least this shop will give you good discounts if you get tuned by them for each upgrade.

Both of the guys I have met at the track, and told them to subscribe to LS1Tech. They said that they both knocked off around .6 tenths with the cam and tuning, and both were running just a hair slower than me, with nothing but cam and catbacks, and drop in K&N. I got a whole lot more mods, and they are right up there with me!
Old 11-03-2003, 01:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Fun Guy
What about this cam???

Crane Cam
That's like 2-4* larger than the stock LS1 cam...once again not worth the cash.

A 208/214 OR 214/220 would be a good choice and actually gain power worth paying for. Keep lift around .550" and get it cut on a 114LSA to retain idle and vac.

A retune of the computer is VERY smart to do regardless of you doing a cam or not...there is far more power to be made just with a retune.

Quick Reply: Cam questions for 5.3L