Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

ASM PASSENGER SIDE INSTALL>>>HELP PLEASE TRANNY FLUID LINES IN THE WAY

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 06:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ASM PASSENGER SIDE INSTALL>>>HELP PLEASE TRANNY FLUID LINES IN THE WAY

ok, ive read every post on ls1tech.com and silveradoss.com and i cant find any tips for the problem iam having on the passenger side.

the drivers side went right in no problems at all. the passenger side stock exhaust manifold came out easily.

i have the passenger side fender well removed, the coil pack unscrewed, and that little bolt cut off that was sticking out of the firewall.

for the life of my and my brother we cannot get the passenger side in. i have come from the side, the bottom and the top and no luck at all.

the collecter keeps rubbing on the tranny fluid lines and the chassis and will not go in :banghead: :banghead:

did anybody have any problems with this?? am i missing something here?
iam pretty frustrated now with the whole thing as the passenger side header is all greased up and has a huge gash on it now. i tried putting it in with the plastic wrap still on it, but it just wasnt happening. i have ceramic coatiing paint that i will spray over it, but its just a PITA.

does anybody have any idea as to what i should do??

thanks for any tips/help that can be provided.

todd
Old 04-29-2005, 06:37 PM
v8
17,16,15,14,13,12,11 Drvr

pull the valve cover off, and we just did mine today. it is tight but it willl go in wedge it between the block and frame, pull up on the manifold and push down at the collector untill it goes and it will lol
Old 04-29-2005, 08:09 PM
TECH Addict

It wouldn't surprise me if you had to bend the lines out of the way a bit in the final fit after you do what v8 said above. Every vehicle I've ever put headers on took some flexing or bending of various lines.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:39 PM
Staging Lane

I had same issues with mine i spent 3 hrs on that side.And all i can tell yu it will fit i went from bottom in.I was in a pit, and could stand under it,I INVENTED many four letter combination's while i was in this process.I got the header in till it wedged then smacked it with a rubber mallet,and it went in.As far as tranny line's go mine are about 1/3 inch from touching the header,i bought some header wrap and wrapped the line been about a yr and no issues .
Old 04-29-2005, 09:27 PM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

like v8 said. remove the pass side valve cover and coil pack. look down below the drier on the firewall. there will be a stud sticking out on the bottom of the heat shield. cut it off. put the collector part down past the tranny lines with the header tilted up. then tilt the front down and wiggle the header in calmley. it should fall in. yes it will touch and push the tranny lines over but only during the install. thyen they will go back into shape.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

headers FINALLY installed. after 7 hours spit in between yesterday and today. i didnt have to do anymore fabrication/unattaching parts to get the passenger side in. i cut that little bolt from the very beggining and unhooked the coil pack as well.

anyways, i put it in backwards with the openings pointing outboard, and then twisting and jarred its way down there. boy was i relieved.

i finally got it all buttoned up with new NGK plugs and o2 sensor(threading was stripped in the process-set me back another 140 dollars)

i put the new pcm tune in, and did the relearn fee and started her up. it idled like **** at first, but after a bit it stayed at 500 constant. as i was pulling out of the garage, it wanted to die on me, but i kept her going.

i got on the road and it pulls excellently. i love it. after all the BS putting it in, it was well worth it.

todd

PS open headers with the long tubes sounds insane. its so nasty, i love it!!!
Old 04-30-2005, 12:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

question, i just went on a beer run, and now the truck is running like :puke:

it keeps dying one me, and sounds absolutely hideous. gurgles and gargles and spitting noises.

could this be due to the O2 sensors so close to the outside and its running really rich? it reeks of gasoline whenever its running, and totally filled up the garage with smoke. thats why iam thinking its running very rich.

no engine light though. how bad is it on the motor to run it if its that rich??

thanks in advance.

todd
Old 04-30-2005, 07:11 AM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

if you were running open headers then yes it is going to puking smoke out. the 02's cant get a good reading to go by. once the full exhaust is on with a tad bit back pressure it will allow the 02's to get a good reading. there are codes in there. they just havent turned on the light.