Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Why are 5 pinion planets such a high price upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why are 5 pinion planets such a high price upgrade?

I see most builders charge an arm and a leg just for the 5 pinion upgrade.. why? Ive seen the planets on the net for pretty cheap, but to include these in a built trans, its a fortune. I know of one builder that will use them for pretty cheap, but hes not a sponsor. It there some extensive process to install them in place of the 4 pinions?
Old 03-24-2011, 05:38 PM
Praise The Lowered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mainly its because any reputable builder will only use GM planets...And they are very pricey from them as with most semi complex oem parts. The "5 pinion" planetary gears you saw for cheap are not oem and are most likely modified 4 pinions...which dont hold up well...I bought a new (not rebuilt) aftermarket 5 pinion planet, and it was missind a few lubricating grooves that are machined from the factory ( held up to my 325 hp 350 tbi) ......Good parts cost$$$$$$
Old 03-24-2011, 05:39 PM
Laid Back

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you sure the ones you saw online were genuine GM planets? From what I've read, aftermarket(China) 5-pinion planetary gears are weaker than GM 4-pinion planetary's.

Edit: basically repeated what RibeiroBJJ just posted, lol.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:47 PM

Ive seen some cheap 5 pinions for ~$70 and the GMs from $200/ piece, but (as an example.. NOT A DIG) on Performabuilts site on their level 3 is states:

Modified Reinforced OEM style five (5) pinion planetaries with a grooved sun gear for improved lubrication
That, to me, means aftermarket and the price difference between the level 2 and level 3 is $800. the level 2 has 4 pinion planets.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

true, but they also upgread the:
-Molded seal steel pistons
-Raybestos composite forward frictions
-A set of 8 RAYBESTOS STAGE 1 PERFORMANCE clutches with full thickness steels for High Impact Durability and Super Hold on the 2-3 shift
-Borg Warner 29 element dual cage sprag assembly, the strongest available
-The BEAST sun shell, considered unbreakable and will withstand the abuse levied in high horsepower extreme torque situations
-Ultra wide carbon composite 2-4 performance band with reinforced pin area to prevent tear through. This band will take the abuse and the heat.
-SUPERIOR/FAIRBANKS SUPER SERVO for maximum second gear hold (It also limits 3rd gear 3-4 clutch accumulation to aid in the 3-4 clutch apply)
-Sonnax Dual Piston Overdrive Servo (with the wide band to stand WOT overdrive if your PCM is set up to allow it)
-A Thirteen (13) vane pump with hardened rings and a full-time lube modification which assures maximum planetary life and cooling
-PerformaBuilt custom shift kit, a compilation of what we consider to be the best of several known kits and some unique modifications of our own
-Deep OEM pan and performance filter (Deep pan not available on the 700r4 unit)

Their level 3 is a bit stronger than the level 2 which is why the price difference and thats why I went with their level 3 from my procharger build
Old 03-25-2011, 01:20 AM
Banned

im currently running front/rear OEM 5 pinion gm planetarys // got them new from $200.. - can't say where//

*to me there well worth it along with my go fast parts that went into my tranny / i down shift all the time/ shifting almost at 7k- and no trouble at all..
- my friend bought after market(taiwan) 5 pinion, and lasted a couple of days on his tranny..
- you can tell right away a aftermarket 5 pinion planetary /from a OEM ..
-i agreed there overpriced , depends where you get them from.. I"ve seen them go for 600+ a set . . ..

- OEM should look like this..

Old 03-25-2011, 11:27 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by AndysC3
true, but they also upgread the:
-Molded seal steel pistons
-Raybestos composite forward frictions
-A set of 8 RAYBESTOS STAGE 1 PERFORMANCE clutches with full thickness steels for High Impact Durability and Super Hold on the 2-3 shift
-Borg Warner 29 element dual cage sprag assembly, the strongest available
-The BEAST sun shell, considered unbreakable and will withstand the abuse levied in high horsepower extreme torque situations
-Ultra wide carbon composite 2-4 performance band with reinforced pin area to prevent tear through. This band will take the abuse and the heat.
-SUPERIOR/FAIRBANKS SUPER SERVO for maximum second gear hold (It also limits 3rd gear 3-4 clutch accumulation to aid in the 3-4 clutch apply)
-Sonnax Dual Piston Overdrive Servo (with the wide band to stand WOT overdrive if your PCM is set up to allow it)
-A Thirteen (13) vane pump with hardened rings and a full-time lube modification which assures maximum planetary life and cooling
-PerformaBuilt custom shift kit, a compilation of what we consider to be the best of several known kits and some unique modifications of our own
-Deep OEM pan and performance filter (Deep pan not available on the 700r4 unit)

Their level 3 is a bit stronger than the level 2 which is why the price difference and thats why I went with their level 3 from my procharger build
I think this is the key...your comparing Apples and Oranges...or at least red apples to green apples.

You can only compare one trans to the other if the only thing changed is the planetary sets.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:56 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

The next time I'm in mine it will be getting 6 Pinion Billet planets...
Old 03-25-2011, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
The next time I'm in mine it will be getting 6 Pinion Billet planets...
I just googled those and seen the thread on Tech. Wonder how much cheese those will cost. It was an old thread and still no price or anyone pimping them..

.. and I seriously do not have a need for that kind of deal. I probably dont even need the 5 pinion planets, but just like to have them because they are considered an "upgrade", but they only come in the "race" type trannys. My truck will never be "fast" with the 12" lift and 37" (maybe 40" soon) tires. GM developed them for the 65e behind the 6L/ 65e combo for a reason.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:59 PM
TECH Regular

yup, you'll likely pop a diff or u-joint before you pop the trans...

But like the old saying goes...if it ain't over engineered, its under.

Quick Reply: Why are 5 pinion planets such a high price upgrade?