FUEL SYSTEMS For things such as pumps, lines, set-ups, line routing, fuel cell mounting, etc.,etc....all fuel related discussions!

limit of NNbs non flex fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts
Default limit of NNbs non flex fuel pump

How far will my non flex fuel pump get me on my 6.2 with upgraded injectors. With some 60 lb injectors. Could I get away with 6-8 pounds of boost until I can upgrade the fuel pump. Or is it just one of those things that if you add boost I need a fuel pump.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Using 93 pump gas not E85
Old 03-24-2017, 10:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

You're going to want a new fuel pump if non flex fuel. I thought I read that they are only like 190lph or close to that. Upgrading to a 255lph should be okay for a little bit of boost.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds good

I've been reading up in walbro 450 installs. That doesn't look to bad. I just don't want to have to worry about running below a 1/4 tank since it's my daily. I'm getting ready to start putting together a LSA set up and want get all my duck in a row first.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:10 PM
Un-Registered User

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

You will probably need a pump at the 8 psi level without E85. Edelbrock uses the flex fuel pump for the kits.... However, you could always program your FSCM with CTSV parameters, if you have HPtuners. Never tried it with a stock pump but, if set up in your tune, you will be able to squeeze more fuel out of it.(not sure how long it would last). There is also a pressure regulator in your bucket. This would need to be changed out with a regulator from a CTSV or ZR1 as well so, you can raise the pressure to the levels of a CTSV. Otherwise the raised pressure just shoots out the regulator and is wasted energy. The problem is you have differential pressure over the injectors with boost and without boost referenced regulators, your pressure will drop without compensation of pressure from your feed line. With the CTSV it raises the pressure to compensate via PWM by way of the FSCM. PWM also keeps your pump cool due to cycling the pump and not being constantly on. Furthermore, the pressure level of a CTSV allows for the use of smaller injectors such as the 56lb injectors in the CTSV. This is what I am currently doing for my truck except with the walboro 450, just trying to find a bucket and the CTSV pressure regulator.

Last edited by mcfarlnd; 03-29-2017 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks mcfarlnd that a lot of info to ingest but I like it. I just ordered HP tuner two days ago because I don't like being in the dark with that stuff and having to wait for a change to be made.

I have looked at this pump which is a drop in and people have been happy with it up to 10 or 11 psi, MU1847 AC DELCO pump. But I was just trying to be a cheap *** by not getting a pump right off the bat since I won't turn up the boost until I'm sure all the bug are worked out.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:23 PM
Un-Registered User

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonblarc7
Thanks mcfarlnd that a lot of info to ingest but I like it. I just ordered HP tuner two days ago because I don't like being in the dark with that stuff and having to wait for a change to be made.

I have looked at this pump which is a drop in and people have been happy with it up to 10 or 11 psi, MU1847 AC DELCO pump. But I was just trying to be a cheap *** by not getting a pump right off the bat since I won't turn up the boost until I'm sure all the bug are worked out.
No problem. Sent you a PM about the stock pump. You will need to do a few things in HPtuners when changing to that pump to prevent codes but, should work great. Haven't had a chance to compare the settings between flex and non flex FSCMs but, pretty sure they are different in that they are programmmed a little differently. It will just be a matter of "copy" from a flex truck and "paste" to yours.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks so much