FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Who has an intercooler behind the grill of their 99-02 truck?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

trickperformance i checked your website but cant find the 5" intercooler, still got the same question:

does a bigger intercooler and piping afect fast spooling? (its more space it has to fill before building pressure)

Originally Posted by walledition
great! 2 questions:

does a bigger intercooler and piping afect fast spooling? (its more space it has to fill before building pressure)

u think i could fit a 5" IC and leaving my 40k transcooler in this possition:
Old 03-11-2014, 01:03 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Denali08
Who makes your IC's?
I was wondering the same thing. It seems like most people on here are running ebay looking intercoolers. For the price that the Trick intercoolers are, they better be top notch quality.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:52 AM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Can't say if the spool rate would change any for the larger core or more piping. Never tested it.
The core size is rated to max power not spool rate.
5" is not out yet.
99-02 Chevy 99-05? gmc I think used that round head lights. Short grill set up.
3" fits no trimming on the grill.
4" need. Little trimming and is a tighter fit.
5"I wouldn't try it. The amount of cutting would be huge.
Tranny cooler just needs to find a place. Some install it between the A frame of the core support. Which puts it behind the ic infront of ac.

I will be posting up some more pics of the different cores and how they fit I the 03 models.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:22 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

You arent going to fit a 5" without a LOT of cutting. Also you get diminishing returns as your intercooler is deeper, ie, a 5" is not much better than a 4".

It will take longer to spool, in theory, but you will never be able to tell a difference.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will see lag with more piping/bigger intercooler. I agree with the comment about not noticing. It's all relative.

The more piping/bigger intercooler, you'll need adequate BOV to cut down on surge.

I would be running a 3" core unless you plan on making over 1000whp. There is significant problems with cooling once you start adding cores like that with tranny coolers and bigger radiators. You make it harder to pull/push air flow through the cores the thicker they are. You're fans will need to be really beefy to get enough flow.

I put a 3.5" radiator on a vette a few years back and had nothing but problems.

I had to trim the crap out of my grille to fit a 3" core.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

im not planning on making near 1000 rwhp for now so i think a 3" will do the trick, thank you for your help guys
Old 03-18-2014, 08:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by walledition
im not planning on making near 1000 rwhp for now so i think a 3" will do the trick, thank you for your help guys
I would look at a 24x12x3. If you go vertical core you can get away with a little smaller. I think my core is 20x8x3 and is rated at 1000hp.

I prefer tube and fin for daily driving and bar and plate for drag racing. Bar and plate will heat soak a lot easier. You might not really have a choice for you budget, just figured i'd throw that in in case you have a choice.

Keep in mind that the advertised hp level for a core is usually not right. Garrett is known for rating cores at half of what they can actually support.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by boostedsl2
I would look at a 24x12x3. If you go vertical core you can get away with a little smaller. I think my core is 20x8x3 and is rated at 1000hp.

I prefer tube and fin for daily driving and bar and plate for drag racing. Bar and plate will heat soak a lot easier. You might not really have a choice for you budget, just figured i'd throw that in in case you have a choice.

Keep in mind that the advertised hp level for a core is usually not right. Garrett is known for rating cores at half of what they can actually support.
interesting:
i didnt even know there where these two: tube and fin and bar and plate, as of right now im looking at options and i think iŽll go with cxracing 3" i see they have both options so i want my truck to be street friendly but i gotta face it now that i have another truck i use to work i really dont use my silverado much, only 1 weekend a month and the track is 1 and a half hour away so thats all i use my truck for, i guees iŽll go with the bar and plate, or would that be bad choice for long distance driving and a weekend out for the truck?
Old 03-18-2014, 09:59 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Bar and plate is fine.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TrickPerformanceProducts
Bar and plate is fine.
could u please pm me a price for a 3" bar and plate, thank you

Quick Reply: Who has an intercooler behind the grill of their 99-02 truck?