FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Forcing Myself soon

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 07:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, im out of the starting gate. I ordered the "racetronix" 43lb multecs this morning. Picked up the 180* stat, and cooler plugs as well. Should be ordering the Whipple by the middle of next week. Pretty excited, cant wait. My next thought, and I may be jumping the gun a bit, but do you think I will have any problems with hooking up? I can spin pretty good now if i want to, Im just worried it will be nuts trying to take off after the S/C goes in. Anything I can do to tame that a little (beside not hitting the gas pedal )?
Old 01-26-2006, 07:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running a Whipple on my 5.3L Sierra and seeing 9 lbs of boost non intercooled. Definitely figure in costs down the road to add the intercooler because in the summer the boost will drop because of the heat. I feel it on mine. Unfortunately for me Whipple was stupid and never came out with an intercooler for the 4.8, 5.3, 6.0L kit like Magna did with their Radix.

Also, I would try to to get a bit more off on the price. I know that the tuner alone they sell for like 500-600 bucks and when I had all sorts of problems with the Whipple CPU and they wanted to sell me an "updated" version of it for like $800 so I would try to get at least another $200 off especially since they are voiding your warranty. This way if you do blow a seal in the s/c a new unit is right around a grand. You are doing the right thing by dumping their electronics right off the bat and adding the larger injectors. I only wished I did it sooner.

You should talk to Bryan from PCMforless. He deals with two shops in PA that have dynos and can also do your tuning at the same time. PA is a lot closer than MA. I had him dynotune mine and he is excellent and has excellent cust. service.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:23 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the info. I will try and get a few more $ off when I call back, I think I can do it. My plan is when they ship the S/C, i will request a supercharger tune from Westers (already have a tune from Westers, so the S/C tune will only cost me shipping). I found a local F-body tuner only a few miles from me who has good experience with GM trucks. So after i get the injectors, stat, plugs, and S/C installed with the Westers PCM, i will run it over there for a dyno tune. I will be running over there before the S/C install also so I can get some base numbers. Still worried about spinning these 265's, I hope they grab a little.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:56 AM
On The Tree

Cool, good luck. I will say that Westers locks his PCM tunes now so if you are dynoing they will probably not be able to do any tweaking and it's always better to be able to make little changes while on the dyno. That's why I mentioned Bryan from PCMforless. I had tried Westers and he just couldn't get it right for me and he was too far away to keep sending the mail order tune back and forth. I finally went with Bryan and since he was more local to me it was much easier to dial the s/c set up in.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:46 AM
TECH Addict

Crap, I didn't think about the posibility of Lyndon locking up his code. I did however keep my original PCM core (The stock PCM) So I guess my best bet would be to install everything and also install the Stock PCM back in the truck before taking it over there. Will it run with new injectors and S/C with the stock PCM? Or should I send the one thats in my truck now back to Lyndon and have him put a S/C tune on it......and take my original PCM with me to the dyno tuner and swap it out there to do the tuning? Just not sure if it will even run with the Stock PCM in there.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:00 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Linda
Crap, I didn't think about the posibility of Lyndon locking up his code. I did however keep my original PCM core (The stock PCM) So I guess my best bet would be to install everything and also install the Stock PCM back in the truck before taking it over there. Will it run with new injectors and S/C with the stock PCM? Or should I send the one thats in my truck now back to Lyndon and have him put a S/C tune on it......and take my original PCM with me to the dyno tuner and swap it out there to do the tuning? Just not sure if it will even run with the Stock PCM in there.
Lyndon?...who did you decide to go with?
Old 01-26-2006, 11:17 AM
TECH Addict

Sorry, I was talking about my PCM. Lyndon Wester. Westers Garage.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:45 AM
On The Tree

It would not have enough fuel with the stock PCM. Not worth the risk to drive it unless it's only around the block from you. I would get a modified tune for the extra forced induction. Yeah, last I heard he locks them so just keep that in mind.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:20 PM
TECH Addict

Cool

I think Lyndon might unlock the PCM for you if you ask due to your advanced tuning requirements. Give him a call and explain your situation and I think that you will be able to work something out.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:54 PM
Launching!

I just ordered the Kenne Bell SC for my 8.1. Should come in a week or so.

Quick Reply: Forcing Myself soon