FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Forcing Myself soon

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 08:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, according to Whipple, the 5-6 lbs of boost i will be running is not going to generate enough heat to justify the intercooler. They say their newly designed twin screw, hyper metaliod, supersonic, bullet proof, blah... blah... blah... blah.....runs cooler than their previous design and cooler than anything else out there. Its about another $2000 to add that anyway. If i see a need for it, i can always upgrade. I know what you mean about the customer support. I could not get past that chick who answers the phone over at Whipple.

Chick at Whipple: "Hello"
Me: "Hi, can I talk to someone there about a custom S/C for my truck please"?
Chick at Whipple: Sure, What vehicle do you have?"
Me: "its a 2003 Chevy Silverado with the 8.1L/Ally combo"
Chick at Whipple: "okay, hang on a sec"
Me: "sure thing"
~~~~~on hold music~~~~~~
Chick at Whipple: "sir?"
Me: "Yup, still here"
Chick at Whipple: "What was your question?"
Me: "if there was someone there I could talk to about a S/C for my truck
Chick at Whipple: "Yeah, I know, but I mean what did you want to ask the technician"
Me: "Well, I wanted to see If i can get a custom kit for my truck that will eliminate the add-on injectors and Whipple electronics that are used to control the add-on injectors. I just want to run the compressor, induction and hardware. I wont need the hand held programmer either. Is there a way I can get the kit minus these parts at a discounted price, as I wont be using them anyway?"
Chick at Whipple: "hold on a sec"
Me: "Sure thing"
~~~~~~on hold music~~~~~~
Chick at Whipple: "Sir?
Me: "Yup, Stiiiiiiil here"
Chick at Whipple: "okay, hang on a sec"
~~~~~~~on hold music~~~~~~~
Chick at Whipple:"What was your name?"
Me: "Jimmie"
Chick at Whipple: "Okay, hang on a sec"
~~~~~~~on hold music~~~~~
Chick at Whipple: "Did you send an Email?"
Me: "yes i did, about 2 days ago"
Chick at Whipple: " Okay, someone will get back with you soon"
Me: "What? They will Email me, or call me? No one can talk to me right now?"
Chick at Whipple: "They will call you this afternoon"
Me: "okay, please try and call as soon as you can, because I want to get started on this soon"
Chick at Whipple: "no problem sir"
Me: "What number are they going to call?" (knowing they dont have my number yet)
Chick at Whipple: "~~~pause~~~, can you hold for a second please?"
Me: "Absolutely (sarcastic)"
~~~~~on hold music~~~~~~
Chick at Whipple: "can i get your phone number please?"
Me: "gave her my number"
Chick at Whipple: " thank you, someone will call soon"
Me: "thanks"

Finally Jeff from Whipple got a hold of me and we talked about a few things and came to the conclusion I am at now. Kenne Bell heard the words "Allison" and took off like the tazmanian devil screaming and spitting.

Last edited by Linda; 01-24-2006 at 09:01 AM.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 195 Likes on 152 Posts

Don't not get the intercooler.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:54 PM
TECH Addict

why, please elaborate. Its a lot more money and according to them, I dont need it.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:23 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Its recommended to get an intercooler because even at 6psi your super modified state of the art better than ever Whipple will still generate heat. An intercooler is going to cool down the charge and make the 6psi stronger than if it was non-intercooled. No, you don't NEED it but, you can run more timing and see more power on the same boost level if its intercooled because you will not start detonating. You may be able to cheat the system by using meth injection. Those kits only run 3-500 bucks. I hope explained that right.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:29 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, its like $2200 more for the intercooler. I would love to get it, but its just not in my budget right now. I got Whipple to knock off a few bucks cause i dont need the electronics and injectors, but i have to use the savings to buy the new 42lb Multecs. They will run me $400 or better. Maybe this summer or fall i can add that on, should be a simple upgrade too. Im sitting at about $5100 for the S/C, injectors, and the dyno tune i am going to get when Im done. Why are the intercoolers so expensive? Its just a radiator for air isnt it?

Last edited by Linda; 01-24-2006 at 06:39 PM.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Because mine ran so poorly last summer without intercooling, that's why. I think it would have run better without a supercharger on those hot days. There is no room for improvement without an intercooler, and you're going to get used to 5-6 psi in about 5-6 months. Also, don't you wonder if the 8.1 might need intercooling more than the 6.0 (which definitely needs it), since Whipple makes a kit for your truck and not mine?
Old 01-24-2006, 06:44 PM
TECH Addict

Im not disagreeing with you at all. I believe it would perform much better with it, but i just aint got the coin right now. Maybe after a few more months of overtime i can get it. Do you have the Whipple Mike? Are you saying that i shouldnt get the S/C at all unless i get it with the intercooler? Im afraid that i wont get the deal im getting now, or prices will go up if i wait.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At 5-6 lbs boost, you don't need an intercooler, in fact it would make little noticable difference in temps. Intercoolers are only effective when there is a great difference between intake and ambiant temperatures. A 75% efficient charger increases temps about 10*/lb boost. That's only 60* at full boost. At that low a temperature difference a cooler would probably only be 50% efficient. That's just 30* cooler, I think hardly worth the trouble. Also with an 8.1 you already have twice the engine and torque as most trucks. Unless you are into tractor pulls, I don't think your engine will see that much time in boost. It will be greatly more powerful while still in vacuum.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:55 PM
TECH Veteran

No, get the S/C. You're right to add the I/C on later since you're able to. I just wanted to warn you that they don't run too good when it's hot out. Yeah I have a Whipple. The project that winter interrupted of adding an air-to-air intercooler to my truck is going to be worth more than $2000, if I were to pay myself a fair wage. The 8.1 intercooler is air-to-water, they're quite a bit more complicated, that's why the price.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:02 PM
TECH Addict

thanks for the input, thats kinda what i was hoping for but i lack the S/C knowledge to really respond on the matter. The cool thing about the Whipple/Kenne Bell was the fact that they were in "full boost" from 1800-redline though, no spooling up, its there when you tap the gas. Still, i hope that at the minimal 5-6lbs of boost the intercooler wont be needed as you say.

Quick Reply: Forcing Myself soon