FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Forcing Myself soon

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 09:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Forcing Myself soon

First Post here, I mainly hang over at the GM-trucks site. Just found this forum and looks to be a cool and informative place.
I am in the final days of deciding on my S/C setup. After talking to Tom at Tbyrne's, Lyndon at Westers, and a few guys at both K/B and Whipple......I have decided to go with the new Whipple set up for my 8.1L. I will get the 42# injectors, dump the electronics and let Lyndon tune me up again. I am 95% sold on this, but opinions and comments are definately welcome. My main reason for the post is that i live in the MD/VA/DC general area and would love to have this truck dyno tuned after everything is installed. I cant for the life of me find a reputable (GM experienced) shop in the area to do this. I am willing to travel a reasonable distance (a few hours) to get this done if anyone has any recommendations. Again, any comments or opinions are welcome. Thanks fella's.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:21 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome to the site! Sounds like a good plan. Sorry, can't help with a local tuner.
Does whipple have any leads for you?

Last edited by moregrip; 01-23-2006 at 09:40 PM.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:51 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Maybe XLR8NSS will chime in. He lives in MD, I think. What Whipple? The 3.3L?
Old 01-23-2006, 10:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Are you going with the intercooler?I know that Tom ran the same setup on a couple of his trucks.He's should know all about that system.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:18 PM
TECH Addict

95% sure im going with this one.......

http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/...sp?ProdID=1138

5-6lbs of boost, not sure if its the 3.3 or not.

406 RWHP aint to shabby, but im guessing thats not the ally that was on the dyno. with the ally i guess i would be looking a little less.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:26 PM
TECH Junkie

It's a 2.3 liter Whipple,It really might be worth making a road trip to Tbyrne's shop for the install and tune.He has used that system before,he took a Suburban with a Intercooled 8.1 Whipple deep into the 13s in a 1/4 mile.The horsepower figures are on an engine dyno,not rear wheel.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:11 AM
TECH Addict

Thats up in Boston I believe.....that may be just a tad far for me as I am coming from the Annapolis, Md area . Was really hoping for something within 100 miles if anyone knows of one. How much do you think this Allison is going to eat up compared to the 4L80?
Old 01-24-2006, 07:17 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Linda
Thats up in Boston I believe.....that may be just a tad far for me as I am coming from the Annapolis, Md area . Was really hoping for something within 100 miles if anyone knows of one. How much do you think this Allison is going to eat up compared to the 4L80?
Linda PM BADMOFO, he knows a hand full of F-Body builders and tuners in Baltimore and they have good tuning contacts that should be able to help you...with a professional GM performance builder. I went up to his friends shop to pick up my 6L and he had some badass vehicles on lifts with plenty of tuning experience in his shop. Again..he's f-body, but those guys are usually connected.

Have you researched the turbo vs SC aspect yet? Or R U only willing to go SC'ed? Or is that not an option with your setup..the turbo? Not familiar w/the 8.1L.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:51 AM
TECH Addict

I have done a huge amount of research both online and real world. The wierd thing is that even though the 8.1L has been out for over 5 years now, no one really has a lot of info to give about them. Then you couple it with the Allison trany (which for some reason is like deciphering ancient hieroglyphics) and they really get quiet. Whipple seems to be offering the most support for what i want to do, and thats my main concern right now, that plus the huge HP/torque numbers they claim. I do some towing and camping in the mountains, so im not really looking for a "red light to red light" tire burner, so it seemed like the S/C would give me the broader torque curve that would hit nice and early in the RPM band. According to a few others who have the same setup, they claim its goes from a great performing truck stock, to an out right towing, hauling, torque monster that will leave more than a few onlookers suprised how fast your 7000lb truck can can get out of its own way. Also, since I will be doing the install, the job seemed much more simple than a turbo install. I checked into the Kenne Bell systems as well, but they flat out would not even talk to me after i told them I had the Allison trany.. . Are the Whipple and Kenne Bell not essentially the same thing? Didnt make sense, but its their loss. Westers has really done me right in the past, but with the S/C setup, i want to make sure everything is running perfectly in tune and I feel the only way to do that is a dyno tune. I will try and get a hold of BADMOFO and see if he can point me in the right direction.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:14 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well...as far as customer service goes...I've heard bad things about K/B. As a matter of fact that's how I made my decision. Whipple and K/N fell short of customer service(K/N fell farther) and Magnacharger far succeeded them, let alone the kits where "complete". I don't believe Magna can help with the 8.1, so looks like Whipple it is for ya. Your not doing the intercooled?

Quick Reply: Forcing Myself soon