FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Forcing Myself soon

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 07:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mikegyver
No, get the S/C. You're right to add the I/C on later since you're able to. I just wanted to warn you that they don't run too good when it's hot out. Yeah I have a Whipple. The project that winter interrupted of adding an air-to-air intercooler to my truck is going to be worth more than $2000, if I were to pay myself a fair wage. The 8.1 intercooler is air-to-water, they're quite a bit more complicated, that's why the price.
Ah, air to water....now i remember reading that someplace. That explains the price. I would image when its hot outside that it would still run better than it did without it.....i would sure hope anyway
Old 01-24-2006, 07:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 195 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by AintNoHo
At 5-6 lbs boost, you don't need an intercooler, in fact it would make little noticable difference in temps. Intercoolers are only effective when there is a great difference between intake and ambiant temperatures. A 75% efficient charger increases temps about 10*/lb boost. That's only 60* at full boost. At that low a temperature difference a cooler would probably only be 50% efficient. That's just 30* cooler, I think hardly worth the trouble.
I have to disagree, partly from wishful thinking, and partly from all these guys on LS1 Tech saying that their intercoolers keep them at only 5-10 degrees above ambient. If they're not lying (and I hope not, because of how much a pain in the *** my install is being), then the difference between 110 IAT and 160 on a 100 degree day should make substantially more power. I won't be able to back up my argument until it gets hot out again.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikegyver
I have to disagree, partly from wishful thinking, and partly from all these guys on LS1 Tech saying that their intercoolers keep them at only 5-10 degrees above ambient. If they're not lying (and I hope not, because of how much a pain in the *** my install is being), then the difference between 110 IAT and 160 on a 100 degree day should make substantially more power. I won't be able to back up my argument until it gets hot out again.
Most coolers installed "as is" are only about 70% efficient. Like the LS1 guys, I have tweeked my cooler (air/water) with a bigger front radiator and a Meziere 1" 20 gal/hr pump instead of the stock wimpy .5" Bosch. I also have a 5 gallon tank to which I can add ice. The air/air guys have their own tricks. The adiabatic efficiency is also a factor. Those turbo guys I hear can get as high as 80-85%. Compared to 50% roots or 75% screw/centrifical that's pretty darn cool boost.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:27 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Linda
Yeah, its like $2200 more for the intercooler. I would love to get it, but its just not in my budget right now. I got Whipple to knock off a few bucks cause i dont need the electronics and injectors, but i have to use the savings to buy the new 42lb Multecs. They will run me $400 or better. Maybe this summer or fall i can add that on, should be a simple upgrade too. Im sitting at about $5100 for the S/C, injectors, and the dyno tune i am going to get when Im done. Why are the intercoolers so expensive? Its just a radiator for air isnt it?
Linda, who did you speak to and how much did they take off for the craptronics? Can you give me a list of parts you are going to get? Thanx. You can email me or PM me.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:25 AM
TECH Addict

His name is Chris, and he is knocking off $800....I just got a call from him last night. He said the website does not have the updated performance info or the updated price info for the new compressors yet. The black, non-intercooled unit is now $4600 (-$800 for the deleted parts I dont need) and to add 6% to the dyno figures that are reported for the 8.1L kit on the site. I will have to sign a letter of release for the the custom kit that will also void my warranty. Now I am just wondering if the $800 savings is worth loosing the entire warranty. Based on others comments who are running the setup like I want to and having no problems at all, i would have to say at this point $800 off is probably worth it. According to Chris it will come with everything except the electronics, exra injectors, and handheld programmer. I would assume (but will confirm before I purchase) that the kit will include:

The compressor
the hardware/brackets
the induction system
the air by-pass valve
instructions

By the way, are the electronics involved at all in the air by-pass valve? Or is it totally vacuum/boost driven?

If you can get past the girl at the front desk, they seem to be very helpful and willing to work with you on getting your project set up. Dont get me wrong, she is a nice girl, I just hate being screened before I talk to someone.

Last edited by Linda; 01-25-2006 at 05:34 AM.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:59 AM
TECH Addict

by the way, there is a good sale on the Multec II's here....

http://www.racetronix.com/17113739.html

pretty sure these are direct fit with no adjustments to the rails needed.

$360 for 8 is not to shabby.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:31 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AintNoHo
Most coolers installed "as is" are only about 70% efficient. Like the LS1 guys, I have tweeked my cooler (air/water) with a bigger front radiator and a Meziere 1" 20 gal/hr pump instead of the stock wimpy .5" Bosch. I also have a 5 gallon tank to which I can add ice. The air/air guys have their own tricks. The adiabatic efficiency is also a factor. Those turbo guys I hear can get as high as 80-85%. Compared to 50% roots or 75% screw/centrifical that's pretty darn cool boost.
So before all the tweaking what where your AIT's at on a WOT run? Then what where they with the tweaks? That bigger pump and Hxr might be great, but the balance is tricky, I am not sold that a bigger faster pump is all that great of an idea(not that a small one is either). Seems moving the water through the intercooler faster is great but keeping it moving throught the Hxr at the same fast speeds isn't helpful either. Hence the low effiency rate. The larger Hxr will help with that creating more surface space...hence the "slowing" of the time it takes the water to go through the Hxr. Seems to be your case, that's why I am curious of your differences in AIT's...before and after.

I agree with everybody...it's just a balance of which and in what location under what "normal" operating conditions that one will fall. People in Arizona will certainly complain first of their non-intercooled kits before people here in the northwest. I agree with Linda especially...coin talks!

I say throw a meth/water injection kit on it. Waaaay less money and you WILL notice the difference....for a 1/4th of the price...if that.

Last edited by dewmanshu; 01-25-2006 at 06:37 AM.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:31 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Linda
His name is Chris, and he is knocking off $800....I just got a call from him last night. He said the website does not have the updated performance info or the updated price info for the new compressors yet. The black, non-intercooled unit is now $4600 (-$800 for the deleted parts I dont need) and to add 6% to the dyno figures that are reported for the 8.1L kit on the site. I will have to sign a letter of release for the the custom kit that will also void my warranty. Now I am just wondering if the $800 savings is worth loosing the entire warranty. Based on others comments who are running the setup like I want to and having no problems at all, i would have to say at this point $800 off is probably worth it. According to Chris it will come with everything except the electronics, exra injectors, and handheld programmer. I would assume (but will confirm before I purchase) that the kit will include:

The compressor
the hardware/brackets
the induction system
the air by-pass valve
instructions

By the way, are the electronics involved at all in the air by-pass valve? Or is it totally vacuum/boost driven?

If you can get past the girl at the front desk, they seem to be very helpful and willing to work with you on getting your project set up. Dont get me wrong, she is a nice girl, I just hate being screened before I talk to someone.
http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/...sp?ProdID=1210

Looks air driven to me
Old 01-25-2006, 10:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are 42lb hr injectors even going to be enough on an 8.1L with 6psi of boost?
Old 01-25-2006, 11:22 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by aklim
Yup, looks like...cool.

Originally Posted by Zippy
are 42lb hr injectors even going to be enough on an 8.1L with 6psi of boost?
Thats what Westers, Kenne Bell, and Delphi recommend, so I sure hope so. Anything larger and I think I will have to make rail, pump, and connector changes. Dont really wanna do that.

Quick Reply: Forcing Myself soon