FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

2 belt tensioners broke since cam/blower install

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 2 belt tensioners broke since cam/blower install

main acc tensioner on my 05 5.3 with vortech v2 at 7lbs , first 2 weeks with blower fine, then tensioner cracked and broke, where bolts to the water pump. bought a new one, 2 days later, broke again, now on my second new one, afraid to get on it !!!! haha belt, seems perfectly tight, and tensioner has room for adjustment, or to move lets say. anybody else have this happen with there blowers?
Old 05-07-2010, 07:41 PM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

I've never broken a tensioner, but have heard of others who had. Breaking tensioners really doesn't make any sense to me because you should never have a force acting on any of the accessories that is not inline with the belt. With that said, you should check your belt alignment, as it could be putting stress on the tensioner bracket in a forward or rearward direction. Gates makes a laser alignment tool for spacing serpentine pulleys and as far as I'm concerned it is mandatory when seeking maximum performance from blower that shares the belt with all other accessories.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks, the belt seems to be right in line, its happened right after ive gotten on it hard and let off, i notice the voltage drop, and the powersteering go out, so i know the belt came off, either the belts slipping off under boost, which it feels good and tight, and the spring back of the tensioner itself is causing it to crack when the belt comes off, thats just my guess.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I broke my tensioner and waterpump with the same v2 head unit mine happend in a over rev (like 6000+ rpm) when my tranny slipped I also broke a few tranny parts aswell Lol
Old 05-07-2010, 11:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've snapped a couple..I keep spare in the truck..What causes me to do it, now stopped, was giving it gas real quick and letting off immediatley to make my truck hop and bark at ya...that sudden jerk snaps them.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks guys, ill just keep an extra i guess, i guess i can have one reinforced, i have a buddy that said he could try to beef it up, haha,, the last time it broke, there were 4 dudes in a crown vic on 22's with duals revving on me, so i smashed it at 45mph to 70 and let out real quick, oops belts gone, sure enough broken.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There was a replacement tensioner that only used two bolts instead of the normal three, I had one of these from my dealer that lasted about two days. He had no clue why the change but was able to get the right one for me.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:46 AM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How far is the tensioner from the drivers side stop when the engine is off?

From what I see in all the Procharger/broken tensioner threads I would guess that either;

1) the tensioners are slapping the stop really hard on throttle release

or

2) the belt slipped off, wrapped around another pulley, and yanked the tensioner - particularly when I read things like "the pullley shot through the rad."

How high are you revving? Are you running out of tensioner travel to maintain belt tension at that RPM? I burried the tach on the rev in the belt stretch vid in my sig. You can see how much belts stretch with RPM, never mind when you add the load of the blower under boost.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

revving to about 5800-6000ish
Old 05-08-2010, 10:56 AM
Staging Lane

I broke one on my Procharger set-up. DrX is on to the cause. If the tensioner is bottoming on the tight or loose side it breaks. If you whack the gas and look at what happens to the tensioner you will see it swing.
This sounds hoaky but when I run my truck at the track I hook a rubber bungee to the tensioner and pull it tight so it won't swing if I hit the rev limiter.

Quick Reply: 2 belt tensioners broke since cam/blower install